Football trivia

Often wondered what is the largest town in England (as we play in the efl) without a football team. Ignoring conurbations and the towns within them - Manchester, Birmingham, London etc, what it the largest stand alone town without a football team? Without trawling a list I thought of Basildon - pop 103,000. Any city/town you know of beat that? Trivial I know but, there you go.

Re: Football trivia

How far down the football pyramid do you go, as surely there's a football team in every town.
Whenever a quiz show poses a question about English cities, one that is frequently overlooked is Wakefield. That's quite a big place, and as a city, it is certainly an entity in itself.

excessbee wrote: February 18th, 2022, 7:30 pm How far down the football pyramid do you go, as surely there's a football team in every town.
Whenever a quiz show poses a question about English cities, one that is frequently overlooked is Wakefield. That's quite a big place, and as a city, it is certainly an entity in itself.
What I specifically meant was - what is the largest city/town that doesn’t play in the efl. You may be right with Wakefield, that is a big place.

Edit, just checked, Wakefield pop 343,000. That must be the one.

in no particular order - Warrington, Bedford, Telford, Dudley, St Albans, Bath, any of the large non-county towns in Leicestershire & Northants, etc...must be a fair few - that said very few people live more than 20 miles from a football league (or at a least 'senior' non league) team. Think Cornwall* is the only historic [English] county without a league team? maybe North Yorks doesn't have one unless we count 'Boro and Rutland but think Rutland is a newer county anyway.

*Devon is somewhat unique in being a 'football hotbed' on a relatively small population albeit it does have 2 solid cities and Lancashire [as was] probably support the most league and senior non league teams per head.
Last edited by CathedralCounty on February 22nd, 2022, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.