Avocados

Good Morning

Avocados… yes or no?

In all my years I have never tasted Avocado. I do not know why! Most likely because it wasn’t available in the era of my upbringing, or if it was, not in the shops we could afford to use.
I became aware of their existence as I got older, but unlike other things such as mango, pizza, curry or fizzy pop which were all unknown to us as kids, I never tried avocado.
Mrs_in_Npton a few years younger than myself but far more refined in taste, had also never eaten avocado. We have occasionally mentioned we ought to try it, usually after seeing it on a cooking programme on TV.
Only yesterday, I was out with my work and came across a young chap preparing his “elevenses”. He was mixing some green coloured concoction in a bowl. I asked him what it was and he told me he was having avocado on toast. He was mixing the avocado with sliced cherry tomatoes, garlic and chilli flakes.
It looked very nice and has persuaded me to give it a try. I bought a couple of avocados, cherry tomatoes and chilli flakes ready for a session of Masterchef later.
The questions to you are these…
1. Have you eaten avocado?
2. How did you eat it?
3. How do you choose the right ones to buy?

Your assistance on this important culinary issue is appreciated !

Phil in Northampton

Re: Avocados

phil_in_npton wrote: February 10th, 2022, 9:05 am Good Morning

Avocados… yes or no?

In all my years I have never tasted Avocado. I do not know why! Most likely because it wasn’t available in the era of my upbringing, or if it was, not in the shops we could afford to use.
I became aware of their existence as I got older, but unlike other things such as mango, pizza, curry or fizzy pop which were all unknown to us as kids, I never tried avocado.
Mrs_in_Npton a few years younger than myself but far more refined in taste, had also never eaten avocado. We have occasionally mentioned we ought to try it, usually after seeing it on a cooking programme on TV.
Only yesterday, I was out with my work and came across a young chap preparing his “elevenses”. He was mixing some green coloured concoction in a bowl. I asked him what it was and he told me he was having avocado on toast. He was mixing the avocado with sliced cherry tomatoes, garlic and chilli flakes.
It looked very nice and has persuaded me to give it a try. I bought a couple of avocados, cherry tomatoes and chilli flakes ready for a session of Masterchef later.
The questions to you are these…
1. Have you eaten avocado?
2. How did you eat it?
3. How do you choose the right ones to buy?

Your assistance on this important culinary issue is appreciated !

Phil in Northampton
Buy one that is ready to eat or one that will be ready in a days (as per supermarket instruction). It's ready when it's slightly soft when you squeeze it. Use a sharp knife and slice round the largest circumference. Remember there's a big stone in the middle. When you've cut all the way around the circumference, separate the two halves by turning one relative to the other. Scoop out the stone, and the avocado is ready to eat with a tea spoon. I usually add a few drops of vinegar into the indentations left by the stone. Don't eat the skin. Hope that helps.

Exile 1976 wrote: February 10th, 2022, 11:15 am Avocado on toast with a poached egg on top. Verrry niiiice
With a little chilli sauce...spice up your life as the Spice Girls once said.
I too am late to the avocado party, I couldn't understand what the fuss was about (a fruit that's not diet food ?!?) but use the recipe above its a great way to start your day.

Well that was very tasty, on a rye sourdough bread, with enough chilli flakes for a bit of heat just after going down. I think this will become a regular but Mrs_in_npton critical of the calorie intake as a “light lunch”.
So this podgy so and so finished her share!

Phil in Northampton

Point of note, I have heard that they are very nice but haven’t tried one. Along with grapefruit I was advised they are the fruit to avoid for those with a latex allergy. Damn shame - green meenies, (vodka and grapefruit juice) are lovely. Watch out for guacamole dips as well, they are avocado.