Re: Will the UK join a war with Russia?

Bangitintrnet wrote: January 30th, 2022, 7:25 am "All over by Christmas" wasn't just propaganda, it was what a fighting alliance of countries thought would happen. The war to end all wars.

NATO is a peacekeeping alliance, and as such is more akin to steward's surrounding the football pitch.

So Russia testing the alliance of NATO IMO is based more on American resolve after the previous administration set an agenda of pulling out of NATO. Clearly Putin doesn't want NATO to expand, and has previous in that NATO didn't get too involved on the ground, during the Russian incursion into Georgia. I agree that Putin wants a diplomatic settlement, but he also wants all his own way.
A war to end all wars. An honest fantasy stated by HG Wells and others after the conflict of the Great War. He later backtracked on his statement. As did many others who had taken it up. President Eisenhower was the politician who stated that no one has yet explained how war prevents war. Unfortunately as a species we are predisposed to fight. Armed aggressors look for a reason. In Liberal democracies we can only prepare for something that we do not want to happen.

The war to end all wars idea didn’t catch on. Just like another myth sold to the German people from the very early 1920’s. The myth of being stabbed in the back, look where that led.

Speak slowly and calmly and carry a big stick. Just about sums it up.

UPTHEPORT wrote: January 31st, 2022, 9:03 am We probably were part of the cause of the second world war we absolutely humiliated Germany after first World War it was the perfect breeding ground for Hitler and the far right
It all depends on what you mean by ‘we’. If you mean the UK, you would be wrong.

Lloyd George fought hard so that the reparations would not cripple Germany financially. He wanted Germany as a counterweight to allay any attempt by France for European domination in the future.

Clemenceau for France was the one who really pushed for tough reparations as his country had suffered by far the worst physical damage of all the participants. He didn’t get everything he wanted but the terms agreed were still harsh.

Of all the allied powers it was Woodrow Wilson for the USA via his 14 points who was the most conciliatory.

What further hardened German opinion was the continued blockade of Germany well into 1919 and the demand for their merchant ships be be transferred to the allies. What a fertile breeding ground for dissent that caused.

pembsexile wrote: January 31st, 2022, 11:59 am
UPTHEPORT wrote: January 31st, 2022, 9:03 am We probably were part of the cause of the second world war we absolutely humiliated Germany after first World War it was the perfect breeding ground for Hitler and the far right
It all depends on what you mean by ‘we’. If you mean the UK, you would be wrong.

Lloyd George fought hard so that the reparations would not cripple Germany financially. He wanted Germany as a counterweight to allay any attempt by France for European domination in the future.

Clemenceau for France was the one who really pushed for tough reparations as his country had suffered by far the worst physical damage of all the participants. He didn’t get everything he wanted but the terms agreed were still harsh.

Of all the allied powers it was Woodrow Wilson for the USA via his 14 points who was the most conciliatory.

What further hardened German opinion was the continued blockade of Germany well into 1919 and the demand for their merchant ships be be transferred to the allies. What a fertile breeding ground for dissent that caused.
When I say we I mean the Allies Mike my history teacher was adiment that's what caused the second World War the treatment of Germany just caused so much hatred he's probably right

The first World War was absolutely pointless

UPTHEPORT wrote: January 31st, 2022, 12:07 pm

When I say we I mean the Allies Mike my history teacher was adiment that's what caused the second World War the treatment of Germany just caused so much hatred he's probably right

My view Jim is that it wasn’t ‘the’ reason for World War 2 (that is a whole new subject), but was ‘one’ of the many, many reasons. What it undoubtedly did do was sow a fertile breeding ground in Germany for victimisation, militant nationalism and racism that followed. A great scenario for a person with lunatic tendencies (narcissism, psychopathy, fantasist and paranoia) to exploit.

pembsexile wrote: January 31st, 2022, 12:26 pm

My view Jim is that it wasn’t ‘the’ reason for World War 2 (that is a whole new subject), but was ‘one’ of the many, many reasons. What it undoubtedly did do was sow a fertile breeding ground in Germany for victimisation, militant nationalism and racism that followed. A great scenario for a person with lunatic tendencies (narcissism, psychopathy, fantasist and paranoia) to exploit.
Sounds like a job description for a Football manager

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: January 31st, 2022, 2:37 pm
pembsexile wrote: January 31st, 2022, 12:26 pm

Sounds like a job description for a Football manager
😀

It was the end of the Ottoman Empire, and the break up, that led to an influx of Jews and other religions into Germany that caused resentment. The Germans were allied with the Ottoman Empire and thus displacement migration into Germany led directly to far right policies being popular.

The US government is no longer using the word ‘imminent’ in its narrative around the alleged Russian ‘invasion’ of Ukraine, White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters, on Wednesday, explaining that it was sending an unintended message.

“I used it once. I think others have used that once, and we stopped using it because I think it sent a message that we weren't intending to send."
Politician speak for "We lied!"

PortandSud wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 10:24 am The US government is no longer using the word ‘imminent’ in its narrative around the alleged Russian ‘invasion’ of Ukraine, White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters, on Wednesday, explaining that it was sending an unintended message.

“I used it once. I think others have used that once, and we stopped using it because I think it sent a message that we weren't intending to send."
You were saying?

pembsexile wrote: February 24th, 2022, 7:47 am
PortandSud wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 10:24 am The US government is no longer using the word ‘imminent’ in its narrative around the alleged Russian ‘invasion’ of Ukraine, White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters, on Wednesday, explaining that it was sending an unintended message.

You were saying?
They have been saying imminent since the beginning of January.

PortandSud wrote: February 24th, 2022, 10:59 am
pembsexile wrote: February 24th, 2022, 7:47 am

You were saying?
They have been saying imminent since the beginning of January.
In this context your use of the word ‘lied’ is unfortunate. Let’s have a look at some ‘lies’.

Russia has been stating for months that it never had any intention of invading Ukraine. Lie
Putin said last week that troops were being pulled back. Lie.
This morning he has said the invasion is needed as a special military operation. Lie.
He claims that the Ukraine has a Nazi element and needs to go. Lie. The Ukraine President is Jewish. What a disgusting slur against the leader of a sovereign country.

There is only one liar in this monstrosity and it isn’t Ukraine or the West. It’s Geopolitics at work and the catalyst for the catastrophe was Putin meeting the Chinese President months ago to ask what his reaction would be. Green light or apathy it seems. The price - I’ll bet the Taiwanese people are very frightened this morning. All because a stupid little man wants to flex his muscles. His words of warning this morning are monstrous. That is about the only truthful thing he has said in this whole sorry debacle.