Re: Over to you, Mark

Covid-19: Crowd restrictions to be lifted for Scottish outdoor sporting events - Sturgeon

Inverness CT v Raith Rovers
Recent SPFL games have been played in front of restricted numbers
Full crowds can return to Scottish outdoor sporting events from Monday, first minister Nicola Sturgeon has confirmed.

The Scottish government last month introduced Covid restrictions that capped attendances at events at 500.

The Scottish Premiership then brought forward its winter break.

Other leagues have continued as scheduled while, in rugby, Edinburgh and Glasgow also played in front of restricted numbers at the weekend.

No update was given for indoor sporting events such as ice hockey matches which had seated attendances reduced to 200, with the first minister stating she will offer clarity next week.

The first minister said the "Covid certification scheme will remain in place" but with "two important changes" for organisers of events.

"Firstly, our guidance will now stipulate that the organisers of large events of 1,000 or more people should check the certification status of at least 50% of attendees, rather than the current 20%, or at least 1,000 people - whichever figure is higher," Ms Sturgeon explained.

"And, second, from Monday the requirement to be 'fully vaccinated' for the purposes of Covid certification will include having a booster if the second dose was more than four months ago.

"It will still be possible to gain admission to events and venues covered by the certification scheme by providing proof of a recent negative lateral flow test."

Restrictions on outdoor events likely to be lifted
The Premiership played one round of fixtures in front of largely empty grounds but postponed two rounds of games.

Monday's meeting of Celtic and Hibernian is the first game of one of those postponed rounds, with most top-flight clubs resuming next Tuesday. And the other round of matches, including Celtic v Rangers, Hibernian v Hearts and Dundee v Dundee United will be played in February.

The Championship, Leagues 1 and 2 and the SWPL all have games scheduled this weekend before restrictions end, as do Edinburgh and Glasgow.

However, rugby's Six Nations looks set to be played in front of full crowds when it starts next month. Scotland have home games against England (5 February) and France (26 February) in this year's championship.

ghosty wrote: January 11th, 2022, 3:01 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/59954784
The thing is and this is counter intuitive to most sane people - I truly believe Drakeford has developed something of a martyr complex (‘I stand by my principles & approach - we are saving lives’ [even when it isn’t working]) so would relish standing alone on this sports fan ban...that’s the impression I get of the Welsh government anyway as if hoping at the 'end' of all this that they will prove justified (which I no longer believe they will be) – my feeling is come next Friday (21st January) a change will be announced, likely some hash of a compromise to say half capacity, will be re hashed to pacify the WRU (and the no doubt enraged Chester City FC!) - but that will likely only kick in at around the start of the 6 nations so yet more games behind closed doors for football/rugby and grass roots sports. I HOPE we will all remember this come the next Senedd elections (again I vote Labour but in the Senedd elections will not vote Labour for quite a while – albeit will still do so in other local & UK elections).

I wouldn't expect a copycat announcement from the Welsh government and probably nothing for at least a week. Scotland's first rugby match is a week before Wales, but this change of policy is more about football than rugby. Amazing that the medical advice coincides with the end of the mid-season break. That's a stroke of luck. :lol:

I note that the Welsh Government have announced spending of £12 million to ease the bedblocking situation. They will be providing apparatus that will alow people to live at home. Carers will have the necessary tools to enable this, along with funds for pharmacy assistance rather than people turn up at A&E.
I guess this money will come from the £120 million fund set aside for compensation. Hopefully more will be used in this way, if the peak is reached sooner than the scientific model predicted.

Bangitintrnet wrote: January 11th, 2022, 3:34 pm I note that the Welsh Government have announced spending of £12 million to ease the bedblocking situation. They will be providing apparatus that will alow people to live at home. Carers will have the necessary tools to enable this, along with funds for pharmacy assistance rather than people turn up at A&E.
I guess this money will come from the £120 million fund set aside for compensation. Hopefully more will be used in this way, if the peak is reached sooner than the scientific model predicted.
Good - a close relative works on a ward in a local hospital - they say the ward clerks (who are responsible for admin but mainly discharge of patients) don’t do a particularly good job albeit they concede that they [the ward clerks not the close relative] are limited by social services and the absence of a safe place for the [usually] elderly so called 'bed blockers' to live – the process could definitely be streamlined and vastly improved and while chucking money at something doesn’t always help I think £12 million isn’t nearly enough!

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: January 11th, 2022, 3:43 pm
County4Life wrote: January 11th, 2022, 3:33 pm "And, second, from Monday the requirement to be 'fully vaccinated' for the purposes of Covid certification will include having a booster if the second dose was more than four months ago."

Is this only Scotland?
Believe so at the moment.
Honestly now, I do respect people's opinions and that's o.k if you want the protection science offers.

This news is goal-posts being moved all the time, that's giving credence to those opposed imo

Edit: Also dropping it with the 'good news' of fans back. Make your own minds up. I have

County4Life wrote: January 11th, 2022, 3:46 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: January 11th, 2022, 3:43 pm
County4Life wrote: January 11th, 2022, 3:33 pm "And, second, from Monday the requirement to be 'fully vaccinated' for the purposes of Covid certification will include having a booster if the second dose was more than four months ago."

Is this only Scotland?
Believe so at the moment.
Honestly now, I do respect people's opinions and that's o.k if you want the protection science offers.

This news is goal-posts being moved all the time, that's giving creedence to those opposed imo
good point - especially as while the vaccines/boosters do reduce transmission slightly & unarguably the effects of covid significantly they are not a magic bullet although think people should have them - masks indoors/concourses and social distancing should be used as should bars perhaps be closed for the meantime (I'm treble jabbed btw) given likelihood of at least another booster round updating vaccine 'passports' esp the paper ones which are a nightmare to get (at the time my smart phone wasn't working- don't ask! hence paper passport)

County4Life wrote: January 11th, 2022, 3:40 pm You lot going to jabbing yourselves forever, Wales will follow suit and make boosters part of the vax certificate requirement and you will roll up your sleeves (not in the old fashioned way) and take it. I must respect everyone's choices, but that's not for me.
You don't sound like you respect everyone's choices.

Is it just this vaccine you don't trust/want or is it medicine/science/vaccinations in general?