Re: Covid

lowandhard wrote: December 19th, 2021, 9:21 pm
County ranger wrote: December 19th, 2021, 5:31 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: December 19th, 2021, 4:54 pm
Fu Ming wrote: December 19th, 2021, 4:00 pm What % of County players and staff have had jabs?
I know a lot are young and wouldn't of had the 2nd or 3rd jab yet.
It would great to know that our club and players are taking this matter seriously, and effectively insisting that all playing and non playing staff to do with the club get jabbed.

That's getting into patient confidential in my view
I think both Liverpool and Wolves have come out and said all players are vaccinated two points doing all they can to avoid postponing matches and wasting fans money and also sending a good lifestyle choice message to both local community and fans.
It would be great if County and other EFL teams could follow the lead.
Agreed. Isn’t it odd that being immunised against polio, tetanus, smallpox etc is uncontroversial and when going to other parts of the world, Typhoid, Hep B etc etc but a jab against a proven killer like Covid is a cause of enormous argument?
I, like many, couldn’t wait to get my booster and will look forward to my omicron jab next year. Perhaps my generation that had parents and relatives who had suffered with tuberculosis and who had classmates irredeemably damaged by polio are more immediately educated in the benefits of vaccination and remember once upon a time penicillin was a new, experimental drug but it saved the life of millions as will this vaccination program.
Think the issue here is that the danger [from Covid] is low to 95% + of the population (and all signs point to Omicron being far less dangerous than even that) and that there will inevitably be [many] further variants discovered - so do we constantly 'boost' every 3-6 months forever? The other jabs you cite are mainly given to children/young people onceand not repeatedly and flu jabs are only offered and/or taken up by those people who either need them because they are vulnerable or choose to have them and there is not the same legalistic/moral browbeating around flu jabs is there? (I've never had a flu jab but equally have never been accused of being a 'granny killer' for not doing so!) - for context I'm having my 3rd ['booster'] jab tomorrow but will be reluctant to have yet further jabs – aside from which vaccines are not a panacea as the vaccine does not prevent 100% of deaths from Covid 100% of the time and does not prevent transmission (doesn’t make them a bad idea but they must not be seen as the ultimate solution rather a safety net)

Not so, some vaccines eg tetanus need topping up at various intervals, always check your surgery records before travelling. I’m sure eventually we will develop a Covid vaccine that needs just an annual jab like flu though it’s unlikely to be based on the spike protein. More likely it’ll be based on a basic replication mechanism so as to prevent it. Meanwhile we work with what we’ve got plus latest antivirals and other pharmaceuticals. To steal a famous phrase, we are probably at the end of the beginning.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: December 19th, 2021, 7:24 pm
Agree that players/staff should be treated the same way as supporters when entering the stadium, but remember you don't have to be vaccinated, if you provide evidence of a negative LFT. Would prefer all players to vaccinated, yet would like all players/staff to provide a verified LFT negative taken within the previous 24 hrs.
This is an extract from the EFL statement implementing enhanced training ground protocols and increased testing. Issued 16th December.

"As part of the enhanced guidance, Clubs will be expected to implement a daily screening programme of testing, subject to supply chain availability of Lateral Flow tests. Any person with a positive test of symptoms will then be required to take a PCR test and isolate in line with Government guidance."

Amberexile wrote: December 20th, 2021, 3:24 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: December 19th, 2021, 7:24 pm
Agree that players/staff should be treated the same way as supporters when entering the stadium, but remember you don't have to be vaccinated, if you provide evidence of a negative LFT. Would prefer all players to vaccinated, yet would like all players/staff to provide a verified LFT negative taken within the previous 24 hrs.
This is an extract from the EFL statement implementing enhanced training ground protocols and increased testing. Issued 16th December.

"As part of the enhanced guidance, Clubs will be expected to implement a daily screening programme of testing, subject to supply chain availability of Lateral Flow tests. Any person with a positive test of symptoms will then be required to take a PCR test and isolate in line with Government guidance."
Understand that, but was emphasising the word verified in order to remove suspicion or temptation to falsify results.

lowandhard wrote: December 20th, 2021, 2:51 pm Not so, some vaccines eg tetanus need topping up at various intervals, always check your surgery records before travelling. I’m sure eventually we will develop a Covid vaccine that needs just an annual jab like flu though it’s unlikely to be based on the spike protein. More likely it’ll be based on a basic replication mechanism so as to prevent it. Meanwhile we work with what we’ve got plus latest antivirals and other pharmaceuticals. To steal a famous phrase, we are probably at the end of the beginning.
Given the current vaccines' time-limited and limited affect on transmission I simply don't see it ending the pandemic status unless a higher % take the jab. If this is the case the UK and devolved government's will eventually have to face up to the task of how they intend to increase numbers. Trust to luck, persuasion only? Introduce some forms of restrictive measures on the unvaccinated? Or make it mandatory.?

Fu Ming wrote: December 19th, 2021, 4:00 pm What % of County players and staff have had jabs?
It would great to know that our club and players are taking this matter seriously, and effectively insisting that all playing and non playing staff to do with the club get jabbed.

I think both Liverpool and Wolves have come out and said all players are vaccinated two points doing all they can to avoid postponing matches and wasting fans money and also sending a good lifestyle choice message to both local community and fans.
Agreed. Isn’t it odd that being immunised against polio, tetanus, smallpox etc is uncontroversial and when going to other parts of the world, Typhoid, Hep B etc etc but a jab against a proven killer like Covid is a cause of enormous argument?
I, like many, couldn’t wait to get my booster and will look forward to my omicron jab next year. Perhaps my generation that had parents and relatives who had suffered with tuberculosis and who had classmates irredeemably damaged by polio are more immediately educated in the benefits of vaccination and remember once upon a time penicillin was a new, experimental drug but it saved the life of millions as will this vaccination program.
Excellent points and depressingly your generation of which I am one still have the culture of doing the right thing as opposed to the entitled younger generation where far too many just wish to do the opposite to what they are asked - a continued breakdown in moral discipline.

County ranger wrote: December 21st, 2021, 7:26 am

Excellent points and depressingly your generation of which I am one still have the culture of doing the right thing as opposed to the entitled younger generation where far too many just wish to do the opposite to what they are asked - a continued breakdown in moral discipline.
I do agree prev generations would DO pretty much anything asked of them selflessly for Queen and Country. This generation has grown up with the power of technology, it's read publications such as wikileaks that has proved the gov doesn't always have their interests at heart. We watched millions upon millions die for no reason, all legitimised by the major media outlets. It's harder these days to trust.

Off topic of course, but the doctored chemical weapons report in Douma, Syria. I rem watching the BBC before the wikileaks dumped the transcripts with OPCW and government, I rem watching kids being hosed down supposedly as they were were victims of a chemical weapons attack, i looked into the kids' eyes, they were as confused as me, i felt so sorry for them. Why the BBC allowed this on the airwaves, they got no respect for me. The now proven to be debunked weapons attack is now long forgotten, but it made a lasting impact upon me, i'll still watch the BBC news.

A caller on LBC last week was laying it on thick with "My grandfather didn't fight for Queen & country just so I could be forced into being vaccinated blah blah blah". James O'Brien pointed out that if the grandfather hadn't been vaccinated against smallpox he wouldn't have been able to join up.

County ranger wrote: December 21st, 2021, 7:26 am

A breakdown of moral discipline?

You were born in the wrong century......

A generation desperate to live their lives and determined not to be dictated to by the kneejerking Welsh
Government.

You look on other threads and you see people moaning about the disparity of approaches to football but then expect the younger generation to tow the line anyway?

Thankfully it's this generation that will question everything and there'll never be another world conflict where young men go blindly to their deaths as cannon fodder.

[/quote]

Totally agree with your final line Ranger: at times like these I really wish we had an authoritarian government like the Chinese or North Koreans - where the population would be forced to properly self-test regularly, forced to stay indoors if they test positive, behaviour in pubs, shops, football grounds etc was controlled so distancing and mask-wearing was the norm.

That way, we would have already eradicated this virus in the UK, so long as we properly controlled the borders also.

We’ve become too used to owning our own freedom, showing a selfish ‘I’m all right Jack’ attitude and acting as if the virus won’t affect us. As a result future generations will need to be more alert to this sort of risk and repay the debts piling up for decades to come.

George Street-Bridge wrote: December 21st, 2021, 8:41 am A caller on LBC last week was laying it on thick with "My grandfather didn't fight for Queen & country just so I could be forced into being vaccinated blah blah blah". James O'Brien pointed out that if the grandfather hadn't been vaccinated against smallpox he wouldn't have been able to join up.
My dad listens to talkradio, I'm recovering at home with a broken foot at parents' home and usually my dad puts it on on the morning. My dad prides himself on telling me 'Politicians are too scared to come on this station.' Unfortunately, like a commentator's curse, Angela Raynor was introduced. I didn't say anything, i could see my dad's face was enough! That's a true story, happened a week or two ago. Admittedly, it wad a better interview than softball interviews, however diverted from what people really want to know. Just seemed more rough in tone, questions quite vanilla.

Sometimes if i'm very bored, or my dad starts first i'll counter him. 'Do you know who own's talk radio?' I told him it's News Corp's Rupert Murdoch. The guy who own's sky, fox news, the sun newspaper etc. This really p*ssed him off

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: December 21st, 2021, 9:11 am

Totally agree with your final line Ranger: at times like these I really wish we had an authoritarian government like the Chinese or North Koreans - where the population would be forced to properly self-test regularly, forced to stay indoors if they test positive, behaviour in pubs, shops, football grounds etc was controlled so distancing and mask-wearing was the norm.

That way, we would have already eradicated this virus in the UK, so long as we properly controlled the borders also.

We’ve become too used to owning our own freedom, showing a selfish ‘I’m all right Jack’ attitude and acting as if the virus won’t affect us. As a result future generations will need to be more alert to this sort of risk and repay the debts piling up for decades to come.
Right sir - I need you to blow into this bag until I tell you to stop.....