Re: Covid

Stan A. Einstein wrote: December 14th, 2021, 4:24 pm
lowandhard wrote: December 14th, 2021, 3:19 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: December 14th, 2021, 3:08 pm Mike I asked a bloke in Aldi Today why he wasn't wearing a mask I was told to mind my own fxxxin business

People are just selfish they won't wear a mask for 10-15 minutes while shopping yet myself and my colleagues have to wear one for 12 hours plus

It's not hard for a few minutes ffs
Yes Kairdiff Exile seems to have been lucky with his transport experiences, my experience on Newport and Caerffili buses has been the opposite. My sympathy to you Jim for having to wear a mask for such long periods I know how uncomfortable that is as my son is a consultant on a covid ward. I worked in the NHS all my life and unless you’re lucky enough to work in a modern unit the conditions are compounded by not having the best of ventilation either.
Last summer I boarded a bus and totally forgot to put on my mask. Sadly and no doubt because of the yobbish behaviour cited above, nobody corrected me and 20 minutes into the journey it dawned on me what I had done.

Sometimes people forget. Some people are exempt. I think it should always be remembered that being human we all make mistakes.

That said telling someone to go f themselves is just nasty.
For that to be the explanation for my experience though, it would have to be the case that at least 50% of the inhabitants of said conurbations be amnesiacs. Come to think of it…

UPTHEPORT wrote: December 14th, 2021, 3:08 pm Mike I asked a bloke in Aldi Today why he wasn't wearing a mask I was told to mind my own fxxxin business

People are just selfish they won't wear a mask for 10-15 minutes while shopping yet myself and my colleagues have to wear one for 12 hours plus

The person you spoke to is well within their right to say in part that it is none of your business. It is up to the staff or security in the store to question people, not you.

yourfinalanswer wrote: December 14th, 2021, 6:55 pm

The person you spoke to is well within their right to say in part that it is none of your business. It is up to the staff or security in the store to question people, not you.
That’s as may be. Sadly many of the people you mention neglect their duty of care to people that the selfish sod in the store is endangering. The mask is not to protect them but other people they encounter including the vulnerable some of which may be immunocompromised.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: December 14th, 2021, 4:24 pm
lowandhard wrote: December 14th, 2021, 3:19 pm

Yes Kairdiff Exile seems to have been lucky with his transport experiences, my experience on Newport and Caerffili buses has been the opposite. My sympathy to you Jim for having to wear a mask for such long periods I know how uncomfortable that is as my son is a consultant on a covid ward. I worked in the NHS all my life and unless you’re lucky enough to work in a modern unit the conditions are compounded by not having the best of ventilation either.
Last summer I boarded a bus and totally forgot to put on my mask. Sadly and no doubt because of the yobbish behaviour cited above, nobody corrected me and 20 minutes into the journey it dawned on me what I had done.

Sometimes people forget. Some people are exempt. I think it should always be remembered that being human we all make mistakes.

That said telling someone to go f themselves is just nasty.
Nasty indeed.
Your post raises a question I'm not clear about I.e 'some people are exempt'. But are they? As far as I'm aware these so called exemptions are self declarations. Therefore it is not inconceivable that a lot of people who claim exemption are being dishonest. I know of asthmatics and those with COPD who are quite able to wear masks during a shopping trip or a public transport journey. Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but are exemption certificates downloadable and not available as a signed document from a medical professional?

lowandhard wrote: December 14th, 2021, 7:22 pm

That’s as may be. Sadly many of the people you mention neglect their duty of care to people that the selfish sod in the store is endangering. The mask is not to protect them but other people they encounter including the vulnerable some of which may be immunocompromised.

Did you know that person in the shop? Do you know why that person wasn't wearing a mask? I am sure it would have been better if uptheport approached a member of staff, security, or the manager, of the shop to make his complaint. Let me point out to you that immunocompromised people can have the vaccine. And as you have stated. A mask is to stop us from passing on the virus. Not to prevent you from getting the virus.

On the contrary it is all our business. What he was doing was potentially endangering the lives of others, including Jim.

County4Life wrote: December 14th, 2021, 5:20 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: December 14th, 2021, 2:12 pm
Fu Ming wrote: December 14th, 2021, 2:00 pm You are correct Stan in that there is no right or wrong answer.
As you say perhaps we will have to change our lifestyle behaviour.
I personally don't see the hardship in wearing masks in shops and on public transport, it is not particularly onerous to do. (Admittedly some people have breathing difficulties).
Agree with this. Stats would indicate that the mask wearing would even reduce the cases of 'flu and colds etc.
Wearing masks was not compulsory in England, the Welsh and Scots mandated it long before. Please send me the link to the studies that suggest the approach of the underling governments have made an impact in reducing COVID numbers comparable to England. Thanks
You are of course correct that for some time mask wearing was not compulsory in England as it was in England and Wales; yet I can only speak of my own experiences when visiting England on a number of occasions; and during those visits I observed mask wearing in indoor public settings only marginally less well adhered to in England. Furthermore my perception was that social distancing was indeed better observed in England. As far as I'm aware there isn't any published studies that suggest the approach of what you disparagingly describe as the underling government's have made in reducing Covid numbers comparable to England.
Personally I remain unconvinced that mask wearing has a significant affect in reducing transmission, wether it be in England,Wales or anywhere else in the World. But what I am convinced about is that wearing a mask certainly doesn't make things worse, therefore there can be no excuse for not doing so.

Blackandamber wrote: December 14th, 2021, 8:08 pm

On the contrary it is all our business. What he was doing was potentially endangering the lives of others, including Jim.
Are you a police officer? You have put yourself in a more dangerous situation by approaching someone. It would have been a better idea to keep a distance. I have stated before. If you are that worried tell a member of staff.

I just moved back to Wales from the South Coast a few weeks back. Mask wearing in supermarkets 50/50, you lot would of had a breakdown lol

The U.K would have been a perfect testing ground for the benefit of mask wearing with the different rules in every Nation of the U.K, being as data collection is easier when everyone uses the same national services (NHS)

County4Life wrote: December 14th, 2021, 9:06 pm I just moved back to Wales from the South Coast a few weeks back. Mask wearing in supermarkets 50/50, you lot would of had a breakdown lol

The U.K would have been a perfect testing ground for the benefit of mask wearing with the different rules in every Nation of the U.K, being as data collection is easier when everyone uses the same national services (NHS)
Unfortunately different rules in different nations doesn't automatically mean markedly different behaviours. Neither does it mean that there aren't differences between regions within England, Wales and Scotland. Indeed it could be that some regions of England has had better compliance to mask wearing than some regions of Wales or Scotland as although so called mandatory in those nations I'm not aware of anyone enforcing those mandates. The differences appear to me to be little more than a different use of wording. I.e. advisory or mandatory, rather than a sitation that can give an accurate measure of the benefits of mask wearing. I've been in shops in Wales where correct mask wearing has been approximately 50/50, although it does appear to be increasing in recent days. Neither have I noticed as many exemption lanyards. I wonder why? Perhaps it's just my experience?
Will there be more mask wearing at County's next home game. I'm not confident it will.

County4Life wrote: December 14th, 2021, 9:35 pm Getting annoyed with people who refuse to wear a mask. That's on you, it's you're prejudice
Not if it’s part of the Covid regulations and as for exemptions l have asthma and COPD and can wear a mask for hours without a problem, most of the exemptions are bullshit.

lowandhard wrote: December 14th, 2021, 10:14 pm
County4Life wrote: December 14th, 2021, 9:35 pm Getting annoyed with people who refuse to wear a mask. That's on you, it's you're prejudice
Not if it’s part of the Covid regulations and as for exemptions l have asthma and COPD and can wear a mask for hours without a problem, most of the exemptions are bullshit.

As you well know, no two patients with your condition are the same. As for the exemption, that is your opinion which you are entitled to have. The UK government must have had medical advice. So that people can be exempt from wearing a mask.

Face coverings: when to wear one, exemptions, and how to make one

Face coverings: guidance for public
Last edited by yourfinalanswer on December 14th, 2021, 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

County4Life wrote: December 14th, 2021, 9:27 pm As for myself wearing a mask. I have the ability to organise my own life and can make the decision for myself.

6pm is carnage on the M4 Junctions heading to the Port, I can decide the risk appetite I have to drive through it.
Of course you are able to make the decision for yourself about wearing a mask. As I am able to make the decision of labelling those that don't wear one in places where it is mandatory to do so as breaking the law and thus criminals.