Re: Covid

excessbee wrote: December 17th, 2021, 8:59 am Well, the EFL has stated that if a club has fourteen available players including a goalkeeper, they should play the fixture. My immediate reaction was that would make postponements less likely, but immediately there were three announced. The cynic in me was not surprised Port Vale's game was amongst them. A team which has a few key players infected merely has to declare both their goalkeepers have tested positive and they don't have to play.
Would they have to show pcr test results to FL because we know the flow test are really easy to manipulate

I get that obviously 1 person whatever their status/age can spread covid if infected but at the same time it seems grossly unfair and odd cancelling games involving squads of young fit & healthy men and [mainly] younger coaching/ancillary staff (‘County’s staff is relatively young I believe) when in the main they will be statistically unlikely to get seriously ill or die from covid – it actually seems grossly unfair really to prevent these people from working and putting themselves out there to get moves to bigger clubs or international call ups and win honours in what is a very short career (I cry no tears for well-paid footballers but most players in National leagues & League 1 & 2 are not that well paid – sure they get a fair wedge but not vast sums – they have if they are decent and stay fit likely at most 20 years as players and most do not go onto lucrative careers in coaching nor punditry – I’ve seen a few ex County players in Morrison’s café [nowt wrong with that but hardly suggests a lavish lifestyle] and know of at least one who is if anything in financial difficulty) – leaving aside whether spectators are allowed in or not does seems odd that games will be being cancelled due positive tests for a virus which will be [virtually] harmless to the cohort involved (i.e., young fit men) – perverse really

I have my suspicions that the EFL messed up the timing of their 14 fit players announcement. Swindon's postponement was posted at 1:30pm. The EFL ruling is timed at 3pm. The three subsequent postponements could be cited as 'we must be able to do the same as Swindon'. That would mean the 14 player ruling can't kick in until the Boxing Day round of fixtures.

UPTHEPORT wrote: December 17th, 2021, 9:26 am
excessbee wrote: December 17th, 2021, 8:59 am Well, the EFL has stated that if a club has fourteen available players including a goalkeeper, they should play the fixture. My immediate reaction was that would make postponements less likely, but immediately there were three announced. The cynic in me was not surprised Port Vale's game was amongst them. A team which has a few key players infected merely has to declare both their goalkeepers have tested positive and they don't have to play.
Would they have to show pcr test results to FL because we know the flow test are really easy to manipulate
I'm sure it's LFT's initially, unless of course the LFT is positive. Surely the LFT will be administered to the player/staff member and not by the individual themselves or in front of someone else in order to verify it's validity. Thus nullifying the possibility of manipulation
Last edited by OLDCROMWELLIAN on December 17th, 2021, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CathedralCounty wrote: December 17th, 2021, 10:00 am I get that obviously 1 person whatever their status/age can spread covid if infected but at the same time it seems grossly unfair and odd cancelling games involving squads of young fit & healthy men and [mainly] younger coaching/ancillary staff (‘County’s staff is relatively young I believe) when in the main they will be statistically unlikely to get seriously ill or die from covid – it actually seems grossly unfair really to prevent these people from working and putting themselves out there to get moves to bigger clubs or international call ups and win honours in what is a very short career (I cry no tears for well-paid footballers but most players in National leagues & League 1 & 2 are not that well paid – sure they get a fair wedge but not vast sums – they have if they are decent and stay fit likely at most 20 years as players and most do not go onto lucrative careers in coaching nor punditry – I’ve seen a few ex County players in Morrison’s café [nowt wrong with that but hardly suggests a lavish lifestyle] and know of at least one who is if anything in financial difficulty) – leaving aside whether spectators are allowed in or not does seems odd that games will be being cancelled due positive tests for a virus which will be [virtually] harmless to the cohort involved (i.e., young fit men) – perverse really
Ssshhhh :shock: we are all in this togetherand every person 's worry of covid is the same

Are there really seven clubs that can't manage to name a squad of 14 available players. I'm not convinced the EFL is monitoring the rule they put forward yesterday. Less than fourteen players must mean something like eighteen positive cases. I suspect that if three or four key players test positive, loads more come out in sympathy. If a weakened team loses a match then their ppg standing is reduced. I'd be more convinced if I heard that one, just one, team was being instructed to put out a team of 14 or 15.

excessbee wrote: December 17th, 2021, 6:08 pm Are there really seven clubs that can't manage to name a squad of 14 available players. I'm not convinced the EFL is monitoring the rule they put forward yesterday. Less than fourteen players must mean something like eighteen positive cases. I suspect that if three or four key players test positive, loads more come out in sympathy. If a weakened team loses a match then their ppg standing is reduced. I'd be more convinced if I heard that one, just one, team was being instructed to put out a team of 14 or 15.
Unfortunately we know that if you are unvaccinated and come into contact with a positive case you have to isolate. Looking at the maths. In a squad 20 with 25% unvaccinated it would perhaps need as few as two players to test positive. Indeed in some clubs there will be perhaps seven or eight unvaccinated players. One backroom member of staff goes down with Covid and the game's off.

I think the key risk in the lower leagues is that several players will live together. One year deals on a reasonable but not excessive wage means several will house share in a rented place because buying a house or even signing a long-term rental agreement is risky when you might get released a few months later.

At County we know the club owns/rents a house near the ground where their new players stay if they haven’t got a family, I’m sure Robbie was one of those staying in the clubhouse. So, one of them gets Covid and they’re all at risk, before you know it that’s half a team self-isolating.

Little to do with their age, fitness or lifestyle but just several blokes living, working and travelling long distances together.

Looking at the BBC Football fixtures page, only two of 31 FA Trophy matches have been postponed. Perhaps they are not as up to date with information further down the Pyramid. Surely can't be that lower league players are not as likely to contract COVID. :lol: :?:

excessbee wrote: December 18th, 2021, 11:58 am Looking at the BBC Football fixtures page, only two of 31 FA Trophy matches have been postponed. Perhaps they are not as up to date with information further down the Pyramid. Surely can't be that lower league players are not as likely to contract COVID. :lol: :?:
It's strange not one game off in Scotland as well or league of Wales
Do they have different testing regime's