Re: Would you

aberexile wrote:Play offs anytime.

1.Chance of promotion
2.Easier to get players in for next year - "reached play-offs want to push on this year and all that."
How much money do we need - must have made 1.5m for the cup in recent years
3.What's the point in supporting a club that finishes 13th but goes on a cup run every year
4.Money doesn't guarantee a good position in the league - even if we went on to play Man City or further that money wouldn't guarantee us promotion, remember Luton Moneybags Town in non-league.
If we're anywhere near the playoffs we should go for it - to add to our history and for player and fan morale
100% agree

Has to be the cup run. Getting to the fourth round of the cup seems to be the only way we are able to make a profit, so in the absence of any money men at the club it has to be the cup run if we want to still have a football league side to support - and it has to be every season at that!

I wonder how different the financial aspects would be.

Both play off legs would be televised, probably sold out. I was also told a few years back that the 4 clubs making the play-offs share the gate receipts (including Wembley final). Don't know how true that is but it was someone who worked for a club that told me they did better financially from the JPT final than a play-off final because they got a greater share of the gate receipts. So, if there wasn't too much in it then I'd say play-offs - but only if we won them :cheers:

Man City for the cash - that is how we survive financially as a professional football business on a 3000 average league gate for this season and the next.

Certainly not the play offs just in case by a miracle we went up - sorry guys for those of you that see going up the leagues as the reason for our existence or for supporting a team - we are not ready*.

*No ground (and doubts about the venue in a few years time), limited training facilities, small budget, panic everytime our Manager is 'linked' to a new job, a misfiring Academy (in that we are not producing players to play and then sell on), limited revenue streams - fanbase that don't turn out in enough numbers and are not 'sticky' e.g. Port Vale this week (every reason given why they weren't there: very cold/lots of games over short period/finances for a low income area etc).

We are but just 'a few years back', let's walk before we can run and for those that didn't get the punch to the guts in the 1980's, it just hurt too much.

UTC and the development of sustainable infrastructure that allows and supports for organic progress and growth.

A simple question and so many scenarios. Unfortunately we cannot play the like of Boro, City, Leeds, Spurs or Leicester every week. The league is our bread and butter and the reason why we exist. That is reality. The FA Cup, and the other cups give us a chance to show ourselves and dream. If we seriously think we can rely on cup games over the next several years to survive and progress, then we are in deep doo-doo. By the way, I have no idea how we increase our revenue stream from the league system but relying on FA Cup runs isn't the answer.

pembsexile wrote:A simple question and so many scenarios. Unfortunately we cannot play the like of Boro, City, Leeds, Spurs or Leicester every week. The league is our bread and butter and the reason why we exist. That is reality. The FA Cup, and the other cups give us a chance to show ourselves and dream. If we seriously think we can rely on cup games over the next several years to survive and progress, then we are in deep doo-doo. By the way, I have no idea how we increase our revenue stream from the league system but relying on FA Cup runs isn't the answer.

Two promotions and we could face the likes of Middlebrough and Leeds every week yet there are fans on this very message-board saying forget the play offs and concentrate on the 'Glamour 'ties for the money.
In 20 years time would you like to remember Newport County getting to the play offs and gaining promotion in the 2018/19 season or the fact that the club made £1million plus from a few cup ties against Middlesbrough and Man City in he same season ?
I know which I would prefer.....PLAY OFFS

Promotion means bigger crowds, higher ticket prices and more sponsorship money, we should be better off even if we get relegated straight back down, or are people saying they don't trust our board?
We have to take the opportunity when it comes, it's no good saying we'll wait a few years then get promoted, there are no guarantees we'll do in our lifetimes.

Marky wrote:Promotion means bigger crowds, higher ticket prices and more sponsorship money, we should be better off even if we get relegated straight back down, or are people saying they don't trust our board?
We have to take the opportunity when it comes, it's no good saying we'll wait a few years then get promoted, there are no guarantees we'll do in our lifetimes.

Doesnt TV money almost double as well ?

pembsexile wrote:A simple question and so many scenarios. Unfortunately we cannot play the like of Boro, City, Leeds, Spurs or Leicester every week. The league is our bread and butter and the reason why we exist. That is reality. The FA Cup, and the other cups give us a chance to show ourselves and dream. If we seriously think we can rely on cup games over the next several years to survive and progress, then we are in deep doo-doo. By the way, I have no idea how we increase our revenue stream from the league system but relying on FA Cup runs isn't the answer.

If when we were in the National League/ Conference or what ever it was called back then we were offered the chance to play away to Manchester United in the FA Cup and make £1.5 million or give up the idea of getting to Wembley ( going there as underdogs to Wrexham) and missing out on the play offs , thus gaining promotion to the Football League would the same fans be saying what they have said in this thread ? Remember back then there were countless posts saying we weren't ready to be promoted to the Football League and should build slowly.
IMO Wrexham and teams like Luton WERE READY to get promoted when they were in the Conference but they failed to do so for years. Wrexham are still trying....