Re: GRANDSTAND: It's Port Vale ...

Well .... that was a non-event !!

A couple of encouraging signs though .

Townsend has now looked a steady pair of hands in the last 2 games .
Labadie had a half decent game , especially first half .
Regan Poole looks like he'd come back to us permanently if he had the chance
Marsh Brown looks like he has something to prove after such a long time out of the team , but needs more composure .

Apart from that , at least we didn't concede
Early night here
UTC

think we looked lack-lustre tonight. Without wanting to sound like we should give up on a play off place, I do think we should prioritise the replay now and rest as many key players as we can Sat given our limited squad numbers, plus hopefully some additions in the next 2 days. Whilst accepting Boro will start as favourites I believe we should do everything possible to maximise our chances of an upset. The pitch is definitely starting to show signs of wear now, and with Newport rfc playing on it Sat it won't be to Boro's liking.

Given that Port Vale are in disarray, with protests against the chairman, manager Aspin likely to leave tomorrow, several first choice players missing, we really didn’t push them very hard.

I reckon we’ll see a humongous effort in the cup next week to try and set up the Man City tie then we’ll pull down the shutters until August.

Townsend - 8
Poole - 7
Demetriou - 7
O’Brien - 7
Butler - 5
Willmott - 5
Bennett - 9
Labadie - 6
Bakinson - 5
Amond - 7
Matt - 7

Dolan -5, Sheehan - 6, KMB - 3

Townsend very good command of area, distribution worse than Day's though (except for one absolute peach of a 70yrd pass to Amond in the first half which was easily the best pass of the game). Defensively pretty solid, midfield whilst worked hard, especially Bennett, the supply to the strikers was terrible, with absolutely no quality at all. Also, the crossing from both Butler and Willmott was shocking with both being caught out at the back often too.
Strikers worked very hard feeding on scraps.
Last edited by Exile 1976 on January 30th, 2019, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exile 1976 wrote:Townsend - 8
Poole - 7
Demetriou - 7
O’Brien - 7
Butler - 5
Willmott - 5
Bennett - 9
Labadie - 6
Bakinson - 5
Amond - 7
Matt - 7

Townsend very good command of area, distribution worse than Day's though (except for one absolute peach of a 70yrd pass to Amond in the first half which was easily the best pass of the game). Defensively pretty solid, midfield whilst worked hard, especially Bennett, the supply to the strikers was terrible, with absolutely no quality at all. Also, the crossing from both Butler and Willmott was shocking with both being caught out at the back often too.
I think that is about right but I would have marked lower across the team and two players wouldn't have got above a 2.

Couple things I noticed last night was:

One of the 3 subs went for glory on two separate occassions when players were better placed - needs to be more of a team player.

IF Poole is going to cross so far back (as he did some 20 odd times last night) then a midfielder preferably (or a forward but thins out the attacking threat) needs to make a run to the near post otherwise it is too easy for the defenders to cut out.

We had two players imo who just didn't fancy it last night - try and it don't come off then OK that happens, but for goodness sake put it in.

Fourthousand wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Townsend - 8
Poole - 7
Demetriou - 7
O’Brien - 7
Butler - 5
Willmott - 5
Bennett - 9
Labadie - 6
Bakinson - 5
Amond - 7
Matt - 7

I think that is about right but I would have marked lower across the team and two players wouldn't have got above a 2.

Couple things I noticed last night was:

One of the 3 subs went for glory on two separate occassions when players were better placed - needs to be more of a team player.

IF Poole is going to cross so far back (as he did some 20 odd times last night) then a midfielder preferably (or a forward but thins out the attacking threat) needs to make a run to the near post otherwise it is too easy for the defenders to cut out.

We had two players imo who just didn't fancy it last night - try and it don't come off then OK that happens, but for goodness sake put it in.

Yeah I think I probably was a bit generous with a few, KMB may have been one with a 3, as you say, he had two truly awful, wild shots when he had players in better positions.