Re: RP pitch

Anyway, those floodlights! It was dark on the Bisley side north end on Tuesday, could anyone see from outside how many lights were out? Is there a mechanism for us to complain about this to our landlords and seek redress in case the FA get on our case?

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:I watched quite a few Newport RFC games in the 80's (free schools tickets) and the pitch was awful in winter. You could play rugby on it but there would have been many football games called off back then..
It didn't flood. Wear and tear is different from flooding. Modern technology has greatly improved grass wear and tear. Remember the Baseball ground?

Now clearly if you don't play on a pitch it remains pristine, the more you play on it the more damage is done. My single point is Phil Day failed to remedy the problem. Further whatever you think of the WRU as landlords, they did!

Certainly the WRU have appeared to have remedied the pitch problems as far as is possible given the need for a 'grass' surface. Of course their preferred option was for a 4G artificial pitch. My understanding is however the county are expected.in installments, to contribute £250,000 towards the cost of the pitch.

In response to the poster who referred to the amount of rugby games played on it in the 70's, it wouldn't have been fit for soccer, given the unevenness and the very long length of grass compared to today's requirements. I can give testament to that having played a number of games on it for Newport rfc youth in that era. I also recall the groundsman, who's name escapes me, often saying that heavy rainfall coinciding with the rivers high tide would inevitably slow down the drainage.
I see we are discussing the River Usk again. It should be remembered that the tidal range of the river is approximately 48ft. How do we expect a flooded RP to drain at high tide?

pembsexile wrote:
Certainly the WRU have appeared to have remedied the pitch problems as far as is possible given the need for a 'grass' surface. Of course their preferred option was for a 4G artificial pitch. My understanding is however the county are expected.in installments, to contribute £250,000 towards the cost of the pitch.

In response to the poster who referred to the amount of rugby games played on it in the 70's, it wouldn't have been fit for soccer, given the unevenness and the very long length of grass compared to today's requirements. I can give testament to that having played a number of games on it for Newport rfc youth in that era. I also recall the groundsman, who's name escapes me, often saying that heavy rainfall coinciding with the rivers high tide would inevitably slow down the drainage.
I see we are discussing the River Usk again. It should be remembered that the tidal range of the river is approximately 48ft. How do we expect a flooded RP to drain at high tide?[/quote]

Slowly! :grin:
Seriously though , while I think part of the time the tide may approximate the level of the pitch, I’d really like the opinion of a surveyor as to whether it really is so, it may be just supposition. Even high tides are a good few metres below the tidal barrier.

Amberexile wrote:It took them two Summers rather than the scheduled one but when Phil Day eventually finished their work on the pitch in the Summer of 2014, what followed was a full season without a single postponed home match.
Precisely, as spelt out in the consultants' report: "Slit drains were fully installed in May 2014 at which point sand banding was renewed. Rodney Parade Ltd had previously encountered issues as the slit drains had only been installed on one half of the pitch and at 2 m intervals. The full system had not been installed due to poor conditions at the time of installation."

George Street-Bridge wrote:I've said this before, but I thought the water table must play a big role until the Blackburn game was postponed after a downpour an hour before KO. Driving away over the town bridge, the river was about as low as it ever gets.
Your use of the word must shows utter conviction. Which when you have not the slightest clue what you're on about is regrettable. Let me help you.

If the watertable were responsible then every dounpour in the last 120 years would have resulted in Rodney Parade being flooded. It didn't.

The problem is /was the drains. The problem has existed since our playing at RP. It may have been exacerbated by the groundsmen trying to fix it. The problem was not fixed by Phil Day. It was fixed by the WRU.

One final point, since the remedial work last summer the flooding has gone away. If it were the water table the problem would still be there.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Exactly. I didn't say "responsible".
A doctor goes to visit a sick man. He fails to diagnose that the man has smallpox. As a consequence the sick man goes on to infect many people. The outbreak of smallpox kills many thousands.

Up before the BMA disciplinary board the doctor's defense is?

I am not responsible. Blame must be laid with the virus.

You think? :shock:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:I've said this before, but I thought the water table must play a big role until the Blackburn game was postponed after a downpour an hour before KO. Driving away over the town bridge, the river was about as low as it ever gets.
Your use of the word must shows utter conviction. Which when you have not the slightest clue what you're on about is regrettable. Let me help you.

If the watertable were responsible then every dounpour in the last 120 years would have resulted in Rodney Parade being flooded. It didn't.

The problem is /was the drains. The problem has existed since our playing at RP. It may have been exacerbated by the groundsmen trying to fix it. The problem was not fixed by Phil Day. It was fixed by the WRU.

One final point, since the remedial work last summer the flooding has gone away. If it were the water table the problem would still be there.
I think that’s right , it’s all about the drains. If you walk up from the castle towards the roundabout on a day of heavy rain, the water is spewing up out of the drains even though they are many feet above river level even at the highest spring tide. If drains are inadequate, they’re inadequate.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: The problem is /was the drains. The problem has existed since our playing at RP. It may have been exacerbated by the groundsmen trying to fix it. The problem was not fixed by Phil Day.
as has been said elsewhere, phil day produced a pitch which drained so well that we had a whole season without a single game being postponed or abandoned after their work was finished
the problem with the drains was that water was not draining causing games to be postponed and abandoned
which part of the problem with the drains did they not fix?

xisle wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: The problem is /was the drains. The problem has existed since our playing at RP. It may have been exacerbated by the groundsmen trying to fix it. The problem was not fixed by Phil Day.
as has been said elsewhere, phil day produced a pitch which drained so well that we had a whole season without a single game being postponed or abandoned after their work was finished
the problem with the drains was that water was not draining causing games to be postponed and abandoned
which part of the problem with the drains did they not fix?
According to Phil Day, the north half of the pitch.

We all have opinions. Some of them are going to turn out to be wrong.

When Westley was sacked I said it was the wrong decision. We were down anyway and all sacking him did was to mean our already impoverished club would in effect be paying two salaries for managers.

Events proved me wrong and I am happy to say so.

I could argue that perhaps Westley might have turned it around. It was after all his team. However I like to remain credible. One does not lose credibility by being wrong, credibility is lost by those who can never admit being wrong.