Re: Last night's Ref

Too whistle happy for me. Any slight contact and it was a free-kick to Spurs. The same rules didn't seem to apply the other way around though (not that it had any impact on the result at all really).

McCoulsky in particular, by the standards the ref had already set, must have been fouled about 5 times after he came on. Rose (I think it was) kept challenging straight through the back of him when he had no chance of winning the ball and the ref just allowed it to happen. I guess the only difference is their players fell over and ours didn't.

It's almost a different sport mind you, the difference between the Premiershit and League Two. I'd have fancied us a bit more with a L2 ref yesterday, as I got the impression we were scared to put a firm tackle in. Pipe's shoulder-to-shoulder on Rose was never a free-kick either - that numpty just looks to go down at the earliest opportunity so is constantly off balance.

I'm always one of the first to critisize the woeful referees we've had this season.I couldn't make Wembley so watched on tv.I thought Mr Atwell's perfomance was one of the best we have seen for many a day.He kept the game flowing wherever possible.Also great to see he wasn't card happy as well.Well done sir.

I think this var thing makes officials less card happy.Watching Swansea v Notts,the ref had a few quiet words rather than book.Pipey made a couple of Pipey challenges that would have a yellow in L2 but he just had a quiet word in his ear.When there was a break in play,the Lino seemed to get a message in his earpiece and called Frank over.I assume he asked Frank to be careful with those clumsy tackles he makes.

ref23 wrote:Too whistle happy for me. Any slight contact and it was a free-kick to Spurs. The same rules didn't seem to apply the other way around though (not that it had any impact on the result at all really).

McCoulsky in particular, by the standards the ref had already set, must have been fouled about 5 times after he came on. Rose (I think it was) kept challenging straight through the back of him when he had no chance of winning the ball and the ref just allowed it to happen. I guess the only difference is their players fell over and ours didn't.

It's almost a different sport mind you, the difference between the Premiershit and League Two. I'd have fancied us a bit more with a L2 ref yesterday, as I got the impression we were scared to put a firm tackle in. Pipe's shoulder-to-shoulder on Rose was never a free-kick either - that numpty just looks to go down at the earliest opportunity so is constantly off balance.
Yep, I was even saying it by the end - something along the lines of "FFS McCoulsky, fall over if you're being fouled, no point in whinging about it afterwards".

Stuart Attwell was one of the fast-tracked refs at a relatively young age, made his mistakes in public (including awarding a phantom goal for Reading v Watford :shock: ) but is starting to grow into the role - by which I mean he's nothing like as crap as he used to be.

ref23 wrote:Too whistle happy for me. Any slight contact and it was a free-kick to Spurs. The same rules didn't seem to apply the other way around though (not that it had any impact on the result at all really).

It isn't an even contest when lower league goes up against Premier League. You only need to fart in the vicinity of a PL player and they're down rolling round like they've been shot and the refs got the card out, whereas they're allowed to decapitate a lower league player before it's deemed a minor transgression worthy of a foul and perhaps a word in the ear...

wattsville_boy wrote:

It isn't an even contest when lower league goes up against Premier League. You only need to fart in the vicinity of a PL player and they're down rolling round like they've been shot and the refs got the card out, whereas they're allowed to decapitate a lower league player before it's deemed a minor transgression worthy of a foul and perhaps a word in the ear...
I guess you think Premier league players are a tad pampered? :mrgreen: