Re: News regarding ex County players

halfmoon wrote: January 4th, 2023, 6:41 pm Quite the career turnaround…

I'm guessing USMT stands for US Men's team. Strange one that. Obviously Berthalter kicking his girlfriend 31 years ago isn't great PR but his now wife forgave him years ago and I'm guessing he's not done anything similar since. It's all only came out because the mother of one of the US World Cup squad didn't think Berthalter was treating her son fairly (because obviously he should play all the games, all the time) and she was made aware of the incident when it happened all those years ago.

What should have been a fairly quick investigation following a malicious complaint is being drawn out by political correctness. When are people in authority going to make a sensible decision? If they want to make an example of Berthalter then they should have demanded his resignation immediately. Alternatively they call the allegation BS and stand full-square with him until any further allegations of similar behaviour arise.

Interesting article in today’s Guardian about the problems at Creepy Crawley. Includes this paragraph -

The summer was busy in the transfer market for Crawley as they tried to implement a stats-based recruitment policy. Last season’s top scorer in League Two, Dominic Telford, arrived from Newport in a coup for the owners. It was an attractive offer for the striker who is now earning more than double what he was on at Newport, before bonuses. One financial incentive for Telford is to win the ball back in the opposition half, a bonus that is unusual in professional football.

Then there was the case of trying to sign a centre-back this summer who was offered a bonus per header as part of a proposed contract. Considering the stats show the player in question makes between 20 and 30 a game, it would have been a lucrative deal in the fourth tier but he opted to go elsewhere.

UPTHEPORT wrote: January 8th, 2023, 4:54 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: January 8th, 2023, 4:30 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: January 8th, 2023, 4:02 pm Robbie Willmott came off the bench (76th minute) in Walsall’s 2-1 FA Cup victory away to Stockport.
Unlike Dolan who didn't make the bench for Hartlepool. Dolan and Missilou will be needed though to replace the goals from top scorer Umerah who went off injured
Isn't Matty cup tied
Yep …. Think he came on at the death against Colchester. Matters not anyway they’re out.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: January 8th, 2023, 6:55 pm Interesting quote on the Walsall forum about Robbie - “Yes it turns out Flynn was right, Wilmott really is a superb crosser of the ball. He will be a nice weapon for us.”

I’m almost speechless. Mind you, it’s not the first time that I’ve seen the words ‘Flynn’ and ‘weapon’ in the same sentence.
It beggars belief why MF, JR and GC were all reluctant to play Robbie on the wing.

[/quote]

It beggars belief why MF, JR and GC were all reluctant to play Robbie on the wing.
[/quote]

All 3 are relatively young, inexperienced coaches and it will have been drilled into them on coaching courses that 352 formations with wingbacks is the way forward. In fact the very best formation any team can play is the one which suits the best XI you put out, and in recent years for County, for me, that is an old-fashioned 442, with Robbie on the wing and playing only in the final two thirds.