Last few weeks of service...

Just a heads up once more that this website will cease operations at the end of the season after almost 20 years service in each successive incarnation.

I will likely forward the new URL to Jim's forum for a limited time. I suggest you save any messages you wish to keep records of etc etc from here or exchange contacts with friends made over the years...

For those late to the party on this; it's costing too much money and I don't wish to get the begging bowl out again. Additionally, my time is too limited to create the customised coding upgrades needed let alone moderate the site efficiently.

For those that supported financially over the years, my deepest thanks to you all for propping up what's felt like my (and hopefully some of yours') digital home for two decades.

And thank you to all who posted and made this place a sorely needed voice of the fans, no matter how much it wound Gavin Foxall up...

I'll miss the grandstands, I'll miss occassionally scrolling back on the heartfelt tributes to those passed on who once frequented this place once upon a time and I'll even miss checking my messages to see who's threatening me with legal action hosting alleged defamatory statements, such joy!

It's been a pleasure (mostly), catch you on the pod and on https://allthingscounty.freeforums.net

Just who exactly was Competition Man?

Is it safe to bring the kids to Spytty?

Who knows, questions never to be answered.

Jack

Re: Last few weeks of service...

Hi Jack, As a relative recent newcomer and contributor to this forum, I would like to thank you for the work you have put in and meeting the costs, not just financial, of the forum. There is a always a difficulty for moderators to judge between free speech and sometimes defamatory remarks and, franky, controlling petty squabling . I am sure that you have faced all these difficulties.

Good Morning

Firstly, thank you Jack. Your forum has brought so much fun and pleasure to add to the ups and downs of being a County fan. Occasionally I have disagreed with the way you’ve done things, but that’s how life goes!
I have made so many “online friends “ who I will never meet in person, but that’s not the point, it’s about being part of a community, accepting different viewpoints ( without crossing the line into abuse/ bullying)
I have also met folk from contact on here, some I liked.. and some I didn’t!
Memories a plenty, none more so than the great fun we had with the “ Programme World Tour” A brief explanation for those not aware. I bought a programme from the first home game, and sent it to someone from the forum elsewhere in the world, they signed it and forwarded it back to someone else and so on. I was amazed how it went back and forth around the globe without getting lost. It even got a mention in the actual match day programme some months later. Someone must still have the programme, unfortunately I lost track of its final movements.
For me the Grandstand was the best fun, a few years ago though. A bit of a fantasy world, with biscuits, cushions, Tim’s countdown and the broom for late arrivals.
Hopefully “all things County “ will bravely fill the void and remain a nicer place than that which this forum has sadly become.

Thanks again Jack, and thanks to all the contributors who have made this an interesting and informative place to visit.

Phil in Northampton.

phil_in_npton wrote: April 16th, 2024, 8:19 am Good Morning

Firstly, thank you Jack. Your forum has brought so much fun and pleasure to add to the ups and downs of being a County fan. Occasionally I have disagreed with the way you’ve done things, but that’s how life goes!
I have made so many “online friends “ who I will never meet in person, but that’s not the point, it’s about being part of a community, accepting different viewpoints ( without crossing the line into abuse/ bullying)
I have also met folk from contact on here, some I liked.. and some I didn’t!
Memories a plenty, none more so than the great fun we had with the “ Programme World Tour” A brief explanation for those not aware. I bought a programme from the first home game, and sent it to someone from the forum elsewhere in the world, they signed it and forwarded it back to someone else and so on. I was amazed how it went back and forth around the globe without getting lost. It even got a mention in the actual match day programme some months later. Someone must still have the programme, unfortunately I lost track of its final movements.
For me the Grandstand was the best fun, a few years ago though. A bit of a fantasy world, with biscuits, cushions, Tim’s countdown and the broom for late arrivals.
Hopefully “all things County “ will bravely fill the void and remain a nicer place than that which this forum has sadly become.

Thanks again Jack, and thanks to all the contributors who have made this an interesting and informative place to visit.

Phil in Northampton.
I'll echo the above - haven't always agreed/been agreed with by people and occasionally put my foot in it BUT overall have enjoyed this forum and will miss it.

I have mixed feeling about the demise of this forum. But on balance Ithink that it has run it's course. I hope very much that AllthingsCounty provides a forum where people can debate the club they love. I hope if anyone on that board chooses express unpopular views that Bangitinthenet et al don't join the new board aand spoil everyone elses fun.

Having said that, things are different now. In 1988 a Phoenix rose from the ashes. It was a supporter owned club. At some stage and without being told it became privately owned. In 2014/15 we bought back that which we already owned. In my view as it was our club it was absolutely right to comment on how the club was administered.

Between about 2002 and 2012 I argued that we could never become a League club whilst playing at Spytty. I was right.

I exposed Pershore connection, that Dave Boddy and Tim Harris knew each other and had been business partners. When we had the Lotto Les windfall instead of monies being used to grow our club it was jobs for the boys. Again I was right.

I was one, of quite a few who helped expose the disgraceful tie up with Elite. The joke appointment of Terry Butcher in a futile attempt to keep Les Scadding's millions flowing. The shameful amounts of cash spent by County in paying off employees of the club involved in unlawful dismissals. And the lies told about club finances.

In September 2023 the supporters of Newport County chose to gift our club to Huw Jenkins. Regardless of my belief that propely administered a fans owned club is the way forward that was a democratic decision and like Thatcher governments I just have to live with it. It's not our club anymore, it's the club we follow. It's not our money anymore. I hope Huw Jenkins tenure is a success.

So goodbye to this board. It was great fun, but it was just one, of those things.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: April 16th, 2024, 10:19 am I have mixed feeling about the demise of this forum. But on balance Ithink that it has run it's course. I hope very much that AllthingsCounty provides a forum where people can debate the club they love. I hope if anyone on that board chooses express unpopular views that Bangitinthenet et al don't join the new board aand spoil everyone elses fun.

Having said that, things are different now. In 1988 a Phoenix rose from the ashes. It was a supporter owned club. At some stage and without being told it became privately owned. In 2014/15 we bought back that which we already owned. In my view as it was our club it was absolutely right to comment on how the club was administered.

Between about 2002 and 2012 I argued that we could never become a League club whilst playing at Spytty. I was right.

I exposed Pershore connection, that Dave Boddy and Tim Harris knew each other and had been business partners. When we had the Lotto Les windfall instead of monies being used to grow our club it was jobs for the boys. Again I was right.

I was one, of quite a few who helped expose the disgraceful tie up with Elite. The joke appointment of Terry Butcher in a futile attempt to keep Les Scadding's millions flowing. The shameful amounts of cash spent by County in paying off employees of the club involved in unlawful dismissals. And the lies told about club finances.

In September 2023 the supporters of Newport County chose to gift our club to Huw Jenkins. Regardless of my belief that propely administered a fans owned club is the way forward that was a democratic decision and like Thatcher governments I just have to live with it. It's not our club anymore, it's the club we follow. It's not our money anymore. I hope Huw Jenkins tenure is a success.

So goodbye to this board. It was great fun, but it was just one, of those things.
I hope if anyone on that board chooses express unpopular views come on Stan! you/me/many others do so - and that is half the fun of it...

CathedralCounty wrote: April 16th, 2024, 11:13 am

I hope if anyone on that board chooses express unpopular views come on Stan! you/me/many others do so - and that is half the fun of it...
Very kind of you to say that, thank you. But I won't join the new board. If I did Bangit' or JimmyExile, or Stanley Weinstein, et al, or some new made up name would join also and wreck Jim's new venture. People like that group are selfish little pr!cks who have ruined a lot of innocent fun for a lot of genuine supporters. I'll read the board, I already do.

And to be clear it's not about not having disagreements, or even blazing rows. They happen. But Bangit&Co only ever row and insult. They'll just have to go elsewhere to have meaning in their sad little lives.

My thanks to you for maintaining this forum for so long. It gets a bit fractious at times but we should all be able to live with that. I've always been a fan of anonymity whilst curious about others' identity. No doubt I know a few (as regular fans) but am blissfully unaware of their message board persona. Hopefully the prediction league will transfer over to the other side for next season.

Thanks Jack, it’s been interesting.

Since I joined the message board back in May 2012 I’ve viewed it every day and contributed where I felt I had something to add. In that time we’ve been promoted to the Football League, been to Wembley five times, experienced the great escape and have taken over and transferred ownership of the club. A notable period in the club’s history. I’ve enjoyed the forum and have appreciated the input provided by others. I wish my fellow message board posters all the best for the future.

Up the County!

Thank you Jack for your 20 years of service. I've really enjoyed this messageboard, apart from the personal insults which have spoilt it recently.

When exactly did this MB start and what was its URL originally. Whatever happened to Forester?

Back in the day the Grandstands were great fun. Can the person holding the broom sweep up all the biscuit crumbs before the lights are finally switched off.

Hope to see most of you on the new MB, as the County try again next season to rise up the pyramid.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: April 17th, 2024, 9:50 am Jack, it is sad to see something that has been part of supporting Newport County over many many years disappear. So my questions to you are, what would it cost if anyone wanted to continue this service into next season and beyond, and would you be prepared to transfer control?
Having spoken to Jack a while back about the messageboard I believe the issue isn't necessarily the cost, but the fact that every time a new host is found the whole site needs to be recoded again. The costs have always been found by members of the messageboard finding the money to keep it going, but the coding is the real pain in the arse each time it needs to be rewritten, takes an inordinate amount of time and frankly priorities change over time...