Re: Exiles Grandstand: Newport v Gillingham

Didn't really understand Gillingham's game plan, which seemed to be start wasting every second they could from about ten minutes onwards and, presumably, hope for a bit of good fortune later on. Very negative approach. Even after we scored they were very slow to go through the gears and only put us under pressure for the final ten or fifteen minutes. Bennett stuck to their big lump striker, Hawkins who was of no use at all. The chap they took off at half time (Lapslie?) was woeful. We did defend manfully at the end, and that's what wins matches without playing at our best.

excessbee wrote: February 17th, 2024, 7:26 pm Didn't really understand Gillingham's game plan, which seemed to be start wasting every second they could from about ten minutes onwards and, presumably, hope for a bit of good fortune later on. Very negative approach. Even after we scored they were very slow to go through the gears and only put us under pressure for the final ten or fifteen minutes. Bennett stuck to their big lump striker, Hawkins who was of no use at all. The chap they took off at half time (Lapslie?) was woeful. We did defend manfully at the end, and that's what wins matches without playing at our best.
Gillingham today provided ample evidence of why they are the lowest scorers in this league. However it took an exceptional finish to beat them.
Only 3 teams have conceded less.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: February 19th, 2024, 12:03 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: February 19th, 2024, 10:20 am Sorry if this is 'ancient chinese secret' but Cardiff sent scouts to watch Will on Sat. Please don't let him go to those muppets!
With his scoring record I would be surprised if there are not loads of scouts now at County games. I’m hoping that he will be our first £1m player.
Definitely mate. I think he will be.