Re: Rodney Parade

Chris Davis wrote: February 10th, 2024, 11:23 am
CathedralCounty wrote: February 10th, 2024, 9:19 am
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: February 10th, 2024, 6:36 am
Jonesy3 wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:32 pm
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: February 9th, 2024, 7:29 pm
Chris Davis wrote: February 9th, 2024, 7:25 pm Am I missing something but is it not entirely the Dragon's issue to get a sponsor? Moreover, if they do, the Dragon's keep the money. I cannot see that we have any input or benefit from any aspect of this.

Have the Dragons actually bought the ground from the WRU yet?
Yes, the Buttress consortium bought the region & the ground back in September just before the rugby season started.
Well that’s a worry should the Dragons fail and the ground now in the hands of businessmen.
Not really it’s not prime housing land (unlikely to get planning permission & loads of legal challenges) pretty sure it’s land protected by covenant for sports anyway (otherwise there would already be “luxury apartments” at Rodney Hall surely?).

Aside from which the ownership claims to be County fans, all in all we have a very good position in both location and leverage terms - ‘without Newport County as tenants you’re asset is worthless’ (put more subtler than that in any negotiation of course).
Mr Buttress "Unless we can make RP financially viable, you haven't a ground to play on.". Let's hope both parties can see that it's a mutual survival thing.
Well good luck to anyone trying to sell RP in the current financial climate! We’re safe as houses [on a patch of land where houses would never be built].

CathedralCounty wrote: February 10th, 2024, 3:28 pm
Chris Davis wrote: February 9th, 2024, 7:25 pm Am I missing something but is it not entirely the Dragon's issue to get a sponsor? Moreover, if they do, the Dragon's keep the money. I cannot see that we have any input or benefit from any aspect of this.

Yes, the Buttress consortium bought the region & the ground back in September just before the rugby season started.
Well that’s a worry should the Dragons fail and the ground now in the hands of businessmen.
Not really it’s not prime housing land (unlikely to get planning permission & loads of legal challenges) pretty sure it’s land protected by covenant for sports anyway (otherwise there would already be “luxury apartments” at Rodney Hall surely?).

Aside from which the ownership claims to be County fans, all in all we have a very good position in both location and leverage terms - ‘without Newport County as tenants you’re asset is worthless’ (put more subtler than that in any negotiation of course).
Mr Buttress "Unless we can make RP financially viable, you haven't a ground to play on.". Let's hope both parties can see that it's a mutual survival thing.
Well good luck to anyone trying to sell RP in the current financial climate! We’re safe as houses [on a patch of land where houses would never be built].
Never bet where Newport City Council or big money is concerned!

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: February 10th, 2024, 3:59 pm

Covenants, fan opposition (both codes), poor drainage, sewerage issues, poor access/parking, lack of local GP & school places, etc it would not get planning permission for housing it MIGHT get it for some sort of leisure facility but there are plenty of other/cheaper land options for that and it’s a very uncertain economic climate. Without trivialising mental health I would question the sanity of anyone/organisation who bought the site for housing or other non team sports use.

CathedralCounty wrote: February 10th, 2024, 4:35 pm
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: February 10th, 2024, 3:59 pm

Covenants, fan opposition (both codes), poor drainage, sewerage issues, poor access/parking, lack of local GP & school places, etc it would not get planning permission for housing it MIGHT get it for some sort of leisure facility but there are plenty of other/cheaper land options for that and it’s a very uncertain economic climate. Without trivialising mental health I would question the sanity of anyone/organisation who bought the site for housing or other non team sports use.
Drainage probably made worse by the development of the flats on the riverbank. I very much doubt the developers would have upgraded the sewerage system while they were building. Just plumb it all into the existing system and count the greater profits...