Re: Scotland’s First Minister Mr Yousaf: Pro-Palestinian marches on Armistice Day should ‘absolutely’ go ahead

DT1892 wrote: November 10th, 2023, 6:21 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: November 10th, 2023, 9:10 am
DT1892 wrote: November 9th, 2023, 5:26 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: November 8th, 2023, 2:28 pm Its tone deaf at best and downright disrespectful at worst to hold a noisy and politically 'controversial' demo on remembrance day BUT the men (for it was and has been nearly all men – interestingly Israel being one of very few states who have conscription for both genders) who fought and died in the two world wars and subsequent conflicts would have supported people’s right to protest so for me I think let them protest because as I’ve said before I'm an [all but] free speech absolutist and one can’t pick and choose (although the Met police seems to).

For what it’s worth these protesters are buffoons – they don’t know which ‘river’ it is in the ‘river to the sea’ and they don’t seem to realise that their political views (far left leaning/socially progressive/pro LGBT, etc) is the antithesis of Hamas/Islam which is a regressive ideology – the classic case – ‘queers for Palestine’! Erm you do realise that its Israel that is hugely pro LGBT (Tel Aviv is a major gay friendly destination) and Palestine simply is not! I mean I get love thine enemies but its simply laughable.
People who have faced oppression tend to stand up for those who are currently oppressed. I think it says a lot about a person who can stand up for and support the rights of those who may not do the same for them. Certainly not the action of a 'buffoon'.
People who have faced oppression tend to stand up for those who are currently oppressed. I honestly don't think that's the driver! these people haven't thought about it have they? Its a few people who happen to be gay with a silly banner jumping on the fashionable cause bandwagon does anyone believe they are 'stand(ing) up for and support(ing) the rights of those who may not do the same for them'?! C'mon you know that's not whats happening here...
Obviously, it's not a bastion of gay rights in Palestine. It's about fighting oppression. Do you think LGBT folks over here should pull up the ladder behind them now that they've got theirs? Or should they continue to fight for those who still face oppression?

Gay Palestinians exist (a fact the Israeli military loves to use as blackmail) and there are many LGBT groups within Palestine. Do you not think it might be easier to fight for their rights if their homes weren't being stolen from them or bulldozed? Wouldn't it be easier for them if their homes, schools and hospitals weren't being bombed? I'm sure they would have more allies and supporters within Palestine if the IDF stopped murdering their friends and families.
Do you think LGBT folks over here should pull up the ladder behind them now that they've got theirs? No but many/most do (as does everyone in that sense - 'I'm alright Jack' is what most people live by) - but you're missing my point these people are not operating with such deep thought they are [or performatively are] on 'team far left' and are going to support literally anything which demonstrates that, its a fashionable cause = we need to show we support it even if/when that is totally illogical when even the dullest of torches is shone on it.

Re: Scotland’s First Minister Mr Yousaf: Pro-Palestinian marches on Armistice Day should ‘absolutely’ go ahead

DT1892 wrote: November 13th, 2023, 11:48 pm I don't know about you, but I've always thought that not wanting to see children being blown up is basic human decency, rather than a 'fashionable' viewpoint.

'Team far left'. No doubt it will be 'woke' to be against genocide next!
Stop doing a channel 4 on me ; ) you know that is not what I'm implying...point was the 'queers for Palestine' are NOT sticking up for LGBT/anyone in Palestine off the back of supporting an oppressed group they are joining the bandwagon however justified or otherwise the bandwagon is.

...and on 'children being blown up' haven't seen many people on the streets of the UK protesting against the Hamas atrocities (there are a lot of clips floating about with protesters who either didn't know about or deny the October 7th attack)...

I know what you're saying, I think it's a completely illogical take on the situation. People want a ceasefire. Regardless of how well-informed they are, or whether you think they are bandwagon jumping, they bothered to turn up to express their opinions. Unfortunately, the war criminals still seem content to carry on. And the world is a worse place for it.

Peace will never exist in the Middle East while Israel continues to bomb innocent Palestinians. If you eradicate Hamas, before long another will spring up. And the cycle will continue again.