Pre Season Fixture announced

On Saturday the 8th July 2023 Newport County AFC will travel to the causeway for a pre-season friendly fixture with Undy AFC.

In preparation for the 23/24 season, Newport County AFC will kick off their pre-season friendlies with a game against Undy AFC. Undy AFC is a Welsh Association football club based in the village of Undy, Monmouthshire. Undy play in the Ardal South-Eastern league.

Not everyone's cup of tea but if you need a few hours watching a game with mostly the Youth team / trialists then fill your boots

Ist year it hasn't been on a Friday evening

Re: Pre Season Fixture announced

neilcork68 wrote: May 18th, 2023, 1:28 pm On Saturday the 8th July 2023 Newport County AFC will travel to the causeway for a pre-season friendly fixture with Undy AFC.

In preparation for the 23/24 season, Newport County AFC will kick off their pre-season friendlies with a game against Undy AFC. Undy AFC is a Welsh Association football club based in the village of Undy, Monmouthshire. Undy play in the Ardal South-Eastern league.

Not everyone's cup of tea but if you need a few hours watching a game with mostly the Youth team / trialists then fill your boots

While it has been trialists and kids mostly in the past, last season, under Rowberry, these players played -

First Half XI: Joe Day, Harrison Bright, Mickey Demetriou, Matt Dolan ©, Aaron Lewis, Jack Karadogan, Aaron Wildig, Sam Bowen, Lewys Twamley, Will Evans, Chanka Zimba

Second Half XI: Nick Townsend, Cameron Norman, Declan Drysdale, Joe Woodiwiss, James Clarke, Adam Lewis, Scot Bennett, Robbie Willmott ©, James Waite, Offrande Zanzala, Lewis Collins (Tom Stokes ’62)

I wonder how Coughlan will treat the match?

Amberexile wrote: May 18th, 2023, 1:35 pm
neilcork68 wrote: May 18th, 2023, 1:28 pm On Saturday the 8th July 2023 Newport County AFC will travel to the causeway for a pre-season friendly fixture with Undy AFC.

While it has been trialists and kids mostly in the past, last season, under Rowberry, these players played -

First Half XI: Joe Day, Harrison Bright, Mickey Demetriou, Matt Dolan ©, Aaron Lewis, Jack Karadogan, Aaron Wildig, Sam Bowen, Lewys Twamley, Will Evans, Chanka Zimba

Second Half XI: Nick Townsend, Cameron Norman, Declan Drysdale, Joe Woodiwiss, James Clarke, Adam Lewis, Scot Bennett, Robbie Willmott ©, James Waite, Offrande Zanzala, Lewis Collins (Tom Stokes ’62)

10 out of the 23 hardly played any minutes, if any, for the first team last year..........Did that point to Rowberry being out of his depth and not knowing what his signings were like before he signed them?
No disrespect to Undy but their pitch isn't brilliant and the risk of playing your first team players is a BIG RISK...I An experienced Manager probably wouldn't take the risk

neilcork68 wrote: May 18th, 2023, 1:43 pm
Amberexile wrote: May 18th, 2023, 1:35 pm

10 out of the 23 hardly played any minutes, if any, for the first team last year..........Did that point to Rowberry being out of his depth and not knowing what his signings were like before he signed them?
No disrespect to Undy but their pitch isn't brilliant and the risk of playing your first team players is a BIG RISK...I An experienced Manager probably wouldn't take the risk
When was the last time you watched a match at Undy? They had a new pitch laid two years ago. It's one of the best in the Welsh League.

excessbee wrote: May 18th, 2023, 3:47 pm I think Undy have a ten year lease on this fixture.
No disrespect to Undy because I know a few of their players but I can't see what we get out of this fixture ? Only winner is Undy who make a few quid out of it...

Last year Rowberry played a mixture of first teamers and Youth in both Half's of the game...Imagine the fall out if any of the ' first team players ' got injured and were out for the season as LJL was a few years ago...? If the manager wanted to run the rule over any potential signings in a match day scenario. How can they judge against a team about 4 levels below our standard ?

Snowman wrote: May 18th, 2023, 4:43 pm Bristol City also on our pre season fixture list for July 22nd behind closed doors.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... pe-8450955
That will be played at their Failand training base...
The last time we played them there I was fortunate enough to be playing golf on the neighbouring golf course. Might try and arrange another game on that day if I am not working and watch the game..
.Otherwse it's available on Robins TV for £5 as it's behind closed doors

neilcork68 wrote: May 18th, 2023, 4:06 pm
excessbee wrote: May 18th, 2023, 3:47 pm I think Undy have a ten year lease on this fixture.
No disrespect to Undy because I know a few of their players but I can't see what we get out of this fixture ? Only winner is Undy who make a few quid out of it...

Last year Rowberry played a mixture of first teamers and Youth in both Half's of the game...Imagine the fall out if any of the ' first team players ' got injured and were out for the season as LJL was a few years ago...? If the manager wanted to run the rule over any potential signings in a match day scenario. How can they judge against a team about 4 levels below our standard ?
It's usually the first fixture of pre-season, it's for fitness and nothing more.

Do we not use Undy's pitch for training when Spytty is unavailable? Or is that no longer the case?

Don't see a problem with friendlies like this, Undy's pitch is far better than the pitch we regularly train on - and regardless of whether it is the first team or not, it gives players minutes in pre-season and gives a local club a cash boost for the season. It's usually the first friendly of the season when the players have trained for about a week, anyone expecting anything other than fitness is overthinking pre-season. I would like to rotate around and play a couple of different teams though.

DT1892 wrote: May 18th, 2023, 6:05 pm
neilcork68 wrote: May 18th, 2023, 4:06 pm

It's usually the first fixture of pre-season, it's for fitness and nothing more.

Do we not use Undy's pitch for training when Spytty is unavailable? Or is that no longer the case?

Don't see a problem with friendlies like this, Undy's pitch is far better than the pitch we regularly train on - and regardless of whether it is the first team or not, it gives players minutes in pre-season and gives a local club a cash boost for the season. It's usually the first friendly of the season when the players have trained for about a week, anyone expecting anything other than fitness is overthinking pre-season. I would like to rotate around and play a couple of different teams though.
Agree with your last sentence.

Percy plunkett wrote: June 5th, 2023, 10:43 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: May 18th, 2023, 2:45 pm Oh dear one message board regular will be on his soap box about this again

Incoming!!!!!!!!!
I think trialist 8,11 and 17 will be the pick of the bunch and the Daisy Hill midfielder is ok.Also,the former Rochdale reserve keeper and Rogie thirds striker will be reasonable but,none will get a contract.
Forgot to say that this will probably be Kaid Mohammed’s last chance to impress.