Re: Does anyone?

lowandhard wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 6:12 pm Well I’m the odd one out then! I still love the FA cup and it’s provided some great times for us. Additionally I love the fact that the minnows start it and stand a chance of swimming with the sharks
I still love the FA Cup but only up to the quarter final stage. I can't get excited about the Wembley showcase matches. As you said it's provided great times for us.

Blackandamber wrote: June 4th, 2023, 1:30 pm
lowandhard wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 6:12 pm Well I’m the odd one out then! I still love the FA cup and it’s provided some great times for us. Additionally I love the fact that the minnows start it and stand a chance of swimming with the sharks
I still love the FA Cup but only up to the quarter final stage. I can't get excited about the Wembley showcase matches. As you said it's provided great times for us.
Same goes for the vast majority of so called elite football where the preferred result would be both teams to lose :grin:

Good Evening!

Ahh! The magic of the FA Cup! Indeed in my childhood it was a big day, just about the only live football, ( I recall “home internationals too)
Such was its appeal kids re-enacted it whilst playing table top football games, starting with 64 teams and matches played between siblings until the cup final!

On one occasion two of the smaller teams got to the final and Newport County beat Barrow in a very close match… the rest is history!

I know, you’ve heard it many times before!

Phil in Northampton

phil_in_npton wrote: June 4th, 2023, 6:14 pm Good Evening!

Ahh! The magic of the FA Cup! Indeed in my childhood it was a big day, just about the only live football, ( I recall “home internationals too)
Such was its appeal kids re-enacted it whilst playing table top football games, starting with 64 teams and matches played between siblings until the cup final!

On one occasion two of the smaller teams got to the final and Newport County beat Barrow in a very close match… the rest is history!

Phil in Northampton
:cheers:

phil_in_npton wrote: June 4th, 2023, 6:14 pm Good Evening!

Phil in Northampton
😂 I once took S. Rhodesia to the World Cup Final in my local competition. We lost 2-1 to West Germany in the final, I think that might date it a bit! 🤣

G Guest wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 9:49 pm Raymond Glendenning had a very strong Newport connection. He was born in Newport and went to Maindee School and Newport High School.
Sorry, George, the joke was that I started listening to the cup finals because of it. My father was at Newport High School at the same time, and I still have in my possession a group photo of the cast of the school's production of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night in which they both performed in 1924, Duke Orsino and and the Puritan Malvolio respectively. The school had a very perceptive Casting Director.

1924. How fantastic.

Does anyone know (slight thread derail) if there's such a thing as a library of photos of Newport from that period? I'm in various historical FB groups but really don't see much from the early 20th century.