Re: Dale Vince Just Stop Oil.

There is no doubt the climate is changing and humans have had a major impact BUT the hyperbole and and hypocrisy and lies/half truths/wrong solutions * of the elites who essentially want to make us all poorer, colder and less comfortable - Dale Vince is a bit of nick head tbh and FGR's new stadium being built miles away from public transport links is the epitome of the odd approach to 'climate change' - 'we'll have electric cars' er, yep batteries for those cars cause huge environmental issues in poorer countries and we still have to generate the electricity you buffoons, 'veganism saves the planet' - no it doesn't mate - eating less meat helps but veganism is not the answer.

Also this ever changing 'deadline' to 'save the planet' Saint Greta said we'd all be dead by now (she deleted the tweet of course!) - to paraphrase something I heard in video of a conference discussing this that if a doctor kept changing your life expectancy ('no sorry its 3 years to live now I was wrong about it being a month, then 6 months, then a year then 2 years no its definitely 3 years) - you might want to seek a second and third opinion. Essentially its a new religion which has captured the elites, the young and the media and cannot be questioned even when it has more holes in it than a colander.

*'ever increasing number of people dying from natural disasters' - complete lie - its far, far fewer , 'heat pumps are great' - nope they still need electricity, are unsuitable for many types of properties, cost loads and offer less heat than gas, etc, etc

Ha ha! listen I'm no 'denier' of climate change it is real and is happening BUT the solutions are overly one dimensional - my view is we adapt and change the tech we have and the way we live - the push to electric is silly if we still generate most of our electricity via 'dirty' methods and battery manufacture and disposal cause huge issues, etc the idea that one technology is a panacea is at best naive at worst catastrophic.

I think as this all starts to bite people will rebel then governments will scale back on 'net zero' especially when the 'masses' (90% of us) realize the elites/wealthy are still flying, still whacking up the air con, still consuming like crazy, etc while the rest of us have been forced to spend our savings on heat pumps which don't work.

CathedralCounty wrote: June 1st, 2023, 11:14 am
Ha ha! listen I'm no 'denier' of climate change it is real and is happening BUT the solutions are overly one dimensional - my view is we adapt and change the tech we have and the way we live - the push to electric is silly if we still generate most of our electricity via 'dirty' methods and battery manufacture and disposal cause huge issues, etc the idea that one technology is a panacea is at best naive at worst catastrophic.

I think as this all starts to bite people will rebel then governments will scale back on 'net zero' especially when the 'masses' (90% of us) realize the elites/wealthy are still flying, still whacking up the air con, still consuming like crazy, etc while the rest of us have been forced to spend our savings on heat pumps which don't work.
Wholeheartedly agree. 'Rules for thee but not for me'...

Please don’t make sweeping statements. ‘Heat pumps which don’t work’. Do your research. Heat pumps are not the answer to everything but they can make a significant contribution to saving energy from fossil fuel burning. In a previous post you stated that they require electricity to run. I take it you are aware that this electricity that they need can be provided by solar or even other means.

Small scale solar generation is a superb and effective way of reducing your carbon footprint. I use it myself. Haven’t plugged a laptop, phone, drill, vacuum cleaner or lawn mower/strimmer into the mains for nearly two years. Your lazy comments about heat pumps do not add to the debate unfortunately.

To me it's the West's addiction to fossil fuel that has created its economic dependency. The only way to break the chain, and have less economic instability is to reduce dependency. It is therefore our law makers who will drive change, and the fact that people like Dale Vince have personally done well out of leading change.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: June 1st, 2023, 6:47 pm Some good points. Heat pumps are hugely problematic though. They're not (yet) even close to being an affordable, effective solution to replacing your boiler. I live in an 18th century Welsh long-house and there's no way I could swap out my oil boiler for a heat pump even if I wanted to.
Yes, I agree, it is the cost that makes the installation of heat pumps prohibitive. The Government should do more to incentivise householders. They are more energy efficient than other heating systems as they don’t actually generate any heat, they transfer it. If I could afford it, I would have one. On a small (household size) project, I think they are the way forward.

If you listen to Rachel Rieve the shadow Chancellor, if they get in power, the Labour Party will attempt to revolutionise the way that we generate energy in the UK. Energy requirements are not going to go away, we need to be in the forefront of the new technology. They just need to ensure that the Tories don’t steal their clothes and get in first. More needs to be done. Energy consumption reduction and new technology is the way forward. Fossil fuels will hopefully be obsolete in my lifetime. Fingers crossed.

Fao Chepstow finest - have a look at the recent Guardian article that stated that over 80% of households that switched to heat pumps from older systems are satisfied with the results. It seems to be a myth that they are only good in modern buildings. This is not true. The respondents came from older type properties as well.

pembsexile wrote: June 1st, 2023, 11:52 am

Please don’t make sweeping statements. ‘Heat pumps which don’t work’. Do your research. Heat pumps are not the answer to everything but they can make a significant contribution to saving energy from fossil fuel burning. In a previous post you stated that they require electricity to run. I take it you are aware that this electricity that they need can be provided by solar or even other means.

Small scale solar generation is a superb and effective way of reducing your carbon footprint. I use it myself. Haven’t plugged a laptop, phone, drill, vacuum cleaner or lawn mower/strimmer into the mains for nearly two years. Your lazy comments about heat pumps do not add to the debate unfortunately.
Agree solar can help and very surprised its not compulsory for all new builds to have solar panels and heat pimps are one of a suite of solutions (they do 'work' and my point was sweeping as you say) but are not a panacea and won't be suitable for likely at least 30-40% of dwellings.

I'm surprised the government haven't amended legislation, and reintroduced solar and wind into EIS/VCT legislation. More private investment would surely be a good thing, and if it reduces some wealthy people's tax bills for a few years, then so what? I thought that was their thing.