Re: Graham Coughlan interview

rncfc wrote: May 25th, 2023, 1:25 pm
Amberexile wrote: May 25th, 2023, 12:14 pm
daftasfxxx wrote: May 25th, 2023, 11:45 am
ajs wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:28 amClough managed!!!
Yes when he got the budget back
In the year Coughlan was boss (2020) they lost £323k, the following year this figure was £46k. I'm sure there are many factors that can explain that.
Not sure if this is the point you were trying to make, but to me that suggests he was working on a smaller budget, as the accounts would be released the year after the season in question generally.
No, their accounts are for the calendar year. The year for the majority of which he was manager the loss was much bigger than the first year Clough was manager. Drawing conclusions from that during the pandemic period though is probably not a good idea.

I have not seen the county games live since JR was in my opinion wrongly sacked, I believed then and still do that we would of avoided relegation. I have listen to GC and his blarney and, how he's changed his mind on young players, building them up but never giving them a chance, we will end up with a load of L2 journeymen hoping to enhance a reputation for him and move back north (my opinion). JR said he should of put his foot down, a mistake he didn't, but was probably trying to be professional in his position. I think back to season before last when we rose from 14th to the automatic promotion positions JR was considered to be doing well by most, unfortunately the injuries to Cain Cooper Aziz and CBR took it's toll.
JR believed in youth and being local had a desire for the CLUB to progress, used youngsters, never slagged or run down the way the club was being run, unlike GC.

Amberexile wrote: I think it all went wrong for JR with his summer recruitment with some players just not good enough for the style of football he wanted to play and others not being available to play often enough leaving him short.
Think you're right there. Signed players to play football, then realised L2 is a hard and physical league but didn't have the players to change tact.

Amberexile wrote: May 25th, 2023, 4:06 pm I think it all went wrong for JR with his summer recruitment with some players just not good enough for the style of football he wanted to play and others not being available to play often enough leaving him short.
Don't you think that it went wrong the previous season when we lost all the final five home games. Just think about that. We lost five times at home to teams that didn't expect to win and were just playing out the season. That is very difficult to do even if you are trying to lose. I would have sacked JR for that alone, even before the current season began.

G Guest wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:16 pm
Amberexile wrote: May 25th, 2023, 4:06 pm I think it all went wrong for JR with his summer recruitment with some players just not good enough for the style of football he wanted to play and others not being available to play often enough leaving him short.
Don't you think that it went wrong the previous season when we lost all the final five home games. Just think about that. We lost five times at home to teams that didn't expect to win and were just playing out the season. That is very difficult to do even if you are trying to lose. I would have sacked JR for that alone, even before the current season began.
That does make you wonder. If I remember correctly, before we lost those five home games on the bounce we were challenging for promotion. We were second at one stage. What would have happened if we had got a (not unlikely) 10 or 11 points from 15 and got promoted either via the play offs or automatically. Would we have survived in L1 with a team that JR was trying to play football with. Football is full of what ifs and I have no real idea what went wrong there.

G Guest wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:16 pm
That's when it started to go wrong for sure but he had the chance to redeem the situation in the summer by signing the right players or changingthe tactics. It all went wrong when he failed to do either resulting in him losing his iob.

I'm not sure Coughlan can get us back into the top three on a regular basis.

rncfc wrote: May 25th, 2023, 6:20 pm
Amberexile wrote: I think it all went wrong for JR with his summer recruitment with some players just not good enough for the style of football he wanted to play and others not being available to play often enough leaving him short.
Think you're right there. Signed players to play football, then realised L2 is a hard and physical league but didn't have the players to change tact.
jR had 6 months in league 2 so would have known the calibre of players required. Like most i wanted him to succeed especially being a local guy, imo he panicked after a bad start and gave up on the style of football he believed in , only one outcome in the end .

owlsabout wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:53 pm Hope your right but it dont sit right with me when all of a sudden hes telling the football world how much of a shambles the club is .then he posts safety is his priority great way to attract new players
He is just doing what the Trust is not, that is communicating.

If as we believe his budget has been reduced or capped, then it is little wonder he is now talking of a league of haves and have nots, that is a realistic assessment. The big question is does our Manager actually still have a competitive budget, if not then the coming season will be based on survival. Listen to Clarke’s interview, even he is guarded on any mention of getting towards the playoffs, but at age 33 he probably has little other option than join us for the ride.

Come the 13th, I fear the worst but will hope for the best.

Have we ever had a competitive budget for league Two? I doubt it, so nothing new.

As regards Coughlan saying he had to reduce the budget at Mansfield by £1.6 million, I doubt that was over one season. Clubs tend to budget over several seasons, players can be on 3 year deals, as Omar Bogle was at Hartlepool. I would guess that County couldn't offer the same deal at the time, as its difficult to forecast future income without a rich backer underwriting contracts for future seasons. Hence why Bogle moved to us on a shorter contract after six months.

GC doesn't inspire me and the supporters raving about James Clark signing is ridiculous, a 2 year contract for a 33 year old is somewhat a poor decision. If he wants JC that badly then a 1 year contract with an offer of a further year depending on appearances, he is slow and not that free from injury.
GC is continuing to run the club down, he's edging is bets, if we are poor it will be " I told you so", if successful " I've done a good job we poor support" I want the football club to progress, Exeter has by developing youth players and found a few who made them money, unfortunately GC doesn't seem to have the will to do that

I certainly understand Owl's argument that Coughlan shouldn't be speaking so freely. In terms that he is saying things outside his remit. I agree with ajs that Coughlan is, too use the somewhat crude but nonetheless clear term which we all understand, covering his ar@e.

However, sadly, I also agree with Taunton. Coughlan hasn't said anything which isn't true.