Madness

We thought Chairman Dripford's idea of all residential roads being 20mph was slightly bonkers which will cost £32million to implement.

Did anyone hear Labour MP Rachael Maskell's call for all residential areas to be 10mph . Pop down the shop and the milk will be curdled before you get home or work 24 hours a day because it will take too long to get home between shifts
#Bonkers

Perhaps they think that if they don't repair the roads that will be a stealth way of slowing traffic down before they implement the new low speed that Labour Councils seem to want to introduce across Britain.

Re: Madness

neilcork68 wrote: May 12th, 2023, 9:25 pm We thought Chairman Dripford's idea of all residential roads being 20mph was slightly bonkers which will cost £32million to implement.

Did anyone hear Labour MP Rachael Maskell's call for all residential areas to be 10mph . Pop down the shop and the milk will be curdled before you get home or work 24 hours a day because it will take too long to get home between shifts
#Bonkers

Perhaps they think that if they don't repair the roads that will be a stealth way of slowing traffic down before they implement the new low speed that Labour Councils seem to want to introduce across Britain.
Hi Neal,

I utterly disagree with your central point. Children run out into roads because they see their best friend on the opposite pavement. Children run out into roads because they have lost control of a rubber ball. Children run out into roads because they hear the chimes of an ice cream van.

And because they are children they don't look.

At 30 mph you kill them. At 20 mph you may kill them. At 10 mph you can stop your car and shout at them.

Believe me I don't feel guilty about the two or three occasions over the last 35 years when I have yelled at a child. It's because I want those children to grow up. Had I been doing 30mph in a residential street lined with cars, had I splattered some eight year old child all over the tarmac, I doubt that the 30mph speed limit I was obeying would have expunged my guilt.

neilcork68 wrote: May 12th, 2023, 9:25 pm We thought Chairman Dripford's idea of all residential roads being 20mph was slightly bonkers which will cost £32million to implement.

#Bonkers

Here's an idea walk to the shop or plan ahead so you don't run out of milk

UPTHEPORT wrote: May 16th, 2023, 9:39 am

#Bonkers

Walk ? how do you do that ?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 15th, 2023, 12:57 pm

#Bonkers

Hi Neal,

I utterly disagree with your central point. Children run out into roads because they see their best friend on the opposite pavement. Children run out into roads because they have lost control of a rubber ball. Children run out into roads because they hear the chimes of an ice cream van.

At 30 mph you kill them. At 20 mph you may kill them. At 10 mph you can stop your car and shout at them.

Believe me I don't feel guilty about the two or three occasions over the last 35 years when I have yelled at a child. It's because I want those children to grow up. Had I been doing 30mph in a residential street lined with cars, had I splattered some eight year old child all over the tarmac, I doubt that the 30mph speed limit I was obeying would have expunged my guilt.

Yes Brendan , we all believe you when you say you drive at 10mph everywhere in built up areas and you always do

It's not speeding that kills or injures it inappropriate speed...10 , 15 or 20 in Residential streets can in fact be too fast because there is always a chance someone, not just kids will step out on you , by schools or built up areas should be a given but ALL roads that are 30 limits..( main thoroughfare , bypasses etc through towns is silly....)
I drive many thousands of miles per year and kids are probably better behaved and more road savvy than most adults. I can count in the hundreds a year that you get Adults who just step out Infront of traffic or amble across the road, or teenagers on Electric Scooters who swerve out in front of you , especially in City Centres... Any speed is too fast if they do that unexpectedly..

Also Politicians want us to use public transport like buses...IMO some bus drivers are up among the worst drivers on the road...They just pull out in front of you..Then you follow them and the have a sign saying '' please let me pull out" with a thumbs up sign....
And don't get me started on cyclist's who rarely follow any road laws

neilcork68 wrote: May 16th, 2023, 3:00 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: May 16th, 2023, 9:39 am

#Bonkers

Walk ? how do you do that ?
Exactly people are becoming more lazy leave your cars at home

I now walk to work about 3 miles and walk to the County just over 2 miles .

Got a rucksack on rest days use that for bits and bobs Shopping

Get out and about keeps you fitter save money and save the planet

Major cities across the world are now adopting the 20mph zones so Wales is not leading this politically. Bristol is way ahead on making the city more suitable for road users that choose not to drive. Two weeks ago I visited Glasgow, the town centre is almost car free, as the car parks in the centre are 3 times as expensive as those outside. It's pleasant with people talking to each other instead of trapped inside a metal box, crawling between traffic lights.
This week I have been in Manchester and the metro has had much the same effect there.

Driving home on the M6 with sections that resemble car parks due to congestion the difference is staggering. 60 years ago when the motorway network was being constructed not every household had a car, and those that did were regularly up on ramps outside. Now it's multiple cars per household and it shows, 20mph isn't actually possible on a lot of cross city journeys anyway these days.

I have attached a link to a typical study detailing the impacts.

https://democracy.edinburgh.gov.uk/docu ... bview=true

#Bonkers

Hi Neal,

At 30mph there's a 20% chance of death. 20mph seems proportional directly outside a school but the blanket reduction of 30mph zones is crazy. Caldicot Bypass for example was so unnecessary at 20mph that they raised it to 30mph after a few months. The bottom line is that they don't want you to drive. 10mph zones/15 minute cities/LTNs etc are designed to stop people driving. They see us motorists as the enemy AND an easy group to extort.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 10:23 pm

#Bonkers

Hi Neal,

At 30mph there's a 20% chance of death. 20mph seems proportional directly outside a school but the blanket reduction of 30mph zones is crazy. Caldicot Bypass for example was so unnecessary at 20mph that they raised it to 30mph after a few months. The bottom line is that they don't want you to drive. 10mph zones/15 minute cities/LTNs etc are designed to stop people driving. They see us motorists as the enemy AND an easy group to extort.
A third of people don't drive, but still pay via their Council tax for highway maintenance in the City. What about their right to use the highway without cars driving past at 30 mph only to be held up at the next junction?

The overall journey time is not reduced at 30 mph, you simply get to the next hold up slightly quicker, and then have to go through the gears, (the polluting bit) starting off and slowing down. It's costly wasting fuel at higher revs - normally with a cold inefficient engine.

Hopefully the 20MPH will encourage people to be happy to use transport more suitable for their own requirements, mobility scooters, cycling with electric assistance for hills etc, and everyone can use the highway together.

It is a fact that it is much faster to get about the centre of Bristol (a city much further down the sorting out congestion route) without a car. Try driving from Templemeads to Clifton, hire a bike and cycle down to Templemeads and back, and see for yourself.

Bangitintrnet wrote: May 25th, 2023, 9:33 am

#Bonkers

Hi Neal,

A third of people don't drive, but still pay via their Council tax for highway maintenance in the City. What about their right to use the highway without cars driving past at 30 mph only to be held up at the next junction?

The overall journey time is not reduced at 30 mph, you simply get to the next hold up slightly quicker, and then have to go through the gears, (the polluting bit) starting off and slowing down. It's costly wasting fuel at higher revs - normally with a cold inefficient engine.

Hopefully the 20MPH will encourage people to be happy to use transport more suitable for their own requirements, mobility scooters, cycling with electric assistance for hills etc, and everyone can use the highway together.

It is a fact that it is much faster to get about the centre of Bristol (a city much further down the sorting out congestion route) without a car. Try driving from Templemeads to Clifton, hire a bike and cycle down to Templemeads and back, and see for yourself.
You make some good points. I work in Bristol (Clifton) and know exactly what you mean. If I've got a meeting in the centre I know can't drive and have to walk or take a Voi (hire a scooter). It makes sense & it's not really an inconvenience as I can plan ahead. They've recently brought in a congestion charge too so it will be interesting to see whether it reduces congestion as Bristol is top 5 in the UK for congestion as of this year.

What I object to is the blanket introduction of 20mph zones (and maybe 10mph) in rural Wales for seemingly no reason other than eco-zealotry.

#Bonkers

Hi Neal,

I totally agree with you Brendan. Curdled milk is far preferable to a killed child.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: May 25th, 2023, 12:18 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: May 25th, 2023, 9:33 am

#Bonkers

Hi Neal,

You make some good points. I work in Bristol (Clifton) and know exactly what you mean. If I've got a meeting in the centre I know can't drive and have to walk or take a Voi (hire a scooter). It makes sense & it's not really an inconvenience as I can plan ahead. They've recently brought in a congestion charge too so it will be interesting to see whether it reduces congestion as Bristol is top 5 in the UK for congestion as of this year.

What I object to is the blanket introduction of 20mph zones (and maybe 10mph) in rural Wales for seemingly no reason other than eco-zealotry.
Newport is high up on congestion as well. Your personal example of hiring other transport is what hopefully will happen over time in Wales. It's not pleasant driving in the city centre, because it's not driving, it's queuing mostly, and more stress than other forms of transport.

Cardiff centre is now full of residential towers with little parking. Therefore cycleways are being constructed out from the centre. Shopping for heavy items is all located on the ring road around the city, so again cars have no real need to drive in, only out.

You are very lucky to work in Clifton it's a lovely place to be. For anyone who hasn't tried it walking/cycling across the Clifton suspension bridge is fantastic, and even better on a day like today.