Re: Graham Coughlan interview

Hm I did pick up a few things I wasn’t aware of/we haven't heard him say directly

On current finances
Newport County is just across the Severn Bridge … it's ideally placed Bristol to the right, Cardiff to the left, it's on the M5, it's a lovely lovely place, the people are brilliant. It was again a struggling club, I was asked to keep them in the division, so I seem to always get those type of jobs, can I keep a club in the division. I'd love to get a job one day which is the other end of the spectrum. It’s a great club that was in trouble, we still are obviously financially and restrictions and things like that they have but it's a brilliant job.
On the Trust model and Jon Pratt
Yeah, it’s a fans trust they run the club obviously with one or two backers in the background. And currently one of the supporters who is based out in America is currently coming on board as well so the future looks OK. But like everything in life it's an expensive business and we can't keep asking fans to put their hands in their pockets and to fund the running of the football club.

So eventually we will have to get and maybe find a rich backer, so yeah it's one of them it's lovely it keeps that team in the football club. And that a supporter from America who has gone and done well for himself and made some money is willing to come back and invest in the club, so it's yeah it's brilliant, and that connection with the players.
Mentioned that he’s been up at Man Utd for a day seeing their facilities. Positive after the McNeill spell

Additionally said it was a mixture of reasons why he left Bristol Rovers, partly because of his association with Plymouth, partly anti irish sentiment, and partly lacking control at the club. When explaining that he also mentions by name for the first time our old DoF
I also had interference from the background whereby they were making decisions that were crazy crazy decisions that had gotten the club into trouble in the first place, and I’m looking and I’m saying you can’t keep making these decisions. Just let the manager manage. I wasn't allowed to manage the football club the way I would have liked.

This nagging feeling of not being able to manage a football club, the way I wanted, there was a little bit of nepotism, one or two people interfering, it was an unbelievably hard manage I was just not going to be able to push on and make it grow the way I wanted to.
If these people would just allow the manager to manage, the football club may be in a better state may be in a better place.

And this is not just at Bristol, this is throughout the game, the amount of times I see managers doing well and all of a sudden people want to come out of the woodwork and jump on the success and show their value. Show your value before. Don’t show your value after.

It's ridiculous the way these people have jobs and the roles that they're in when an awful lot of them can't do their jobs. I saw this at Bristol Rovers, they had a man in charge of recruitment, of football operations, director of football, whatever his role was. He just wasn't up to the job. I found that as well when I went to Newport. I quickly had to act and maybe clean the place up a little bit.

Let's see what he said.
He wasn't the best player in his youth team or club but he had a hunger to learn and a desire to succeed. And that was enough. And he's not prepared to take being put down.
Newport people are brilliant. The club and the supporters lost contact with each other. We need to build over a period of time. Success doesn't come over night. If we can harness the bond between players and fans that's a tool that can be used.

Agree with all that myself.

Clearly intends to stay. Clear that he believes that Jon Pratt is coming in. Personally I would prefer a fans owned club, but that ship seems to have sailed.

Very heartened. Finally someone who sees we have potential and won't accept excuses for failure.

ulkraineinthebahrain wrote: May 24th, 2023, 9:38 pm
owlsabout wrote: May 24th, 2023, 9:23 pm Didn't he manage Mansfield with a big budget after rovers .or am I thinking of someone else
Yes he managed them for 27 games and he only won 4. Dec 19 to Oct 20 so a bit through COVID and then Clough took over . A poor start of the season 4 loses and 5 draws and was sacked as was 1 point from drop zone.
Having to get rid of 1.4 million of the wage bill probably had something to do with it

Amberexile wrote: May 25th, 2023, 12:14 pm
daftasfxxx wrote: May 25th, 2023, 11:45 am
ajs wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:28 amClough managed!!!
Yes when he got the budget back
In the year Coughlan was boss (2020) they lost £323k, the following year this figure was £46k. I'm sure there are many factors that can explain that.
Not sure if this is the point you were trying to make, but to me that suggests he was working on a smaller budget, as the accounts would be released the year after the season in question generally.