Rights and Wrongs

Dear Message Board

In an admittedly fraught few months of claims and counter claims, the distinction between facts and opinions seems to have got blurred.

Both are comments, but in other respects they are and should be distinguishable.

Factual comments by definition cannot be wrong. The lions' share of opinions are admissible, but are very often open to challenge.

I have a profile (in my own name) on Twitter, as, for example, does Kelly Anderson. Those of us on Twitter know how difficult it is to catch all relevant tweets, although it is possible, though not always desirable, to read all the posts on this forum. For example, Stan Einstein does not read Jonesy3's posts.

Stan Einstein's source no doubt furnished him with the information that Kelly had resigned her post, so he was confident that he was right, although he didn't supply any factual evidence to this board, let alone the name of his protected source, despite it being common knowledge on Twitter, confirmed by Kelly herself, though initially missed by me.

Alerted by Jonesy3, I subsequently read Kelly's resignation tweet (2nd May) and the Twitter replies, including Kelly's own further clarification. I subsequently quoted two factual statements, and Kelly, to her great credit, promptly explained the misunderstanding.

But our eminent lawyer was not finished. He had not only to state that he was RIGHT, but that I was WRONG. How did he come to that conclusion?

I don't demand or expect an apology from him, but a period of reflection on the effects of his cloak and dagger style would be much appreciated.

Re: Rights and Wrongs

Bonson&Hunt wrote: May 17th, 2023, 3:10 pm Don't really know what to make of this post. Feels like arriving at the theatre at the interval of a play.
I didn't quite know what to make of it either. Other than it was critical of me.

So here's the thing. Everybody can be as critical as they like of me. I won't call for them to be banned or boast that I would ban them if I could. Free speech is something you either believe in or you don't. And I believe in it.