Re: Transfer Rumours Ins and Out

Chepstow'sFine wrote: May 15th, 2023, 12:10 pm
lukerobins wrote: May 9th, 2023, 6:11 pm Heard on the Terrace yesterday that Wrexham have offered Norman 4k a week to sign
Respectfully, I don't believe it. Had a look on their forum and there's nothing about it.
I have no idea whether Wrexham have offered Norman £4,000 a week.

I don't think it matters. I believe that Norman and Farquhason will be made offers with which we will not be able to compete.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: May 15th, 2023, 12:15 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: May 9th, 2023, 10:18 pm Why are so many of our fans obsessed with Wrecsam? If they do well it’s because they’ve got extremely wealthy backers, if they leave the club could possibly go tits up, as it stands we should be more concerned with Newport County.
For me, it's the media circle-jerk that really boils my urine.
Muhammad Ali always used to say, he didn't care if people hated him, so long as they paid money to hate him. Forgotten now but he was hated back in the 1960s by an awful lot of white people who wanted nothing more than this mouthy black man to get a good hiding.

Did we give a shit when Lotto Les' money bought us promotion 10 years ago? Of course not. Your boiling urine or other people's warm balm are all the same to Wrexham. Publicity is publicity.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 15th, 2023, 12:29 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: May 15th, 2023, 12:15 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: May 9th, 2023, 10:18 pm Why are so many of our fans obsessed with Wrecsam? If they do well it’s because they’ve got extremely wealthy backers, if they leave the club could possibly go tits up, as it stands we should be more concerned with Newport County.
For me, it's the media circle-jerk that really boils my urine.
Muhammad Ali always used to say, he didn't care if people hated him, so long as they paid money to hate him. Forgotten now but he was hated back in the 1960s by an awful lot of white people who wanted nothing more than this mouthy black man to get a good hiding.

Did we give a shit when Lotto Les' money bought us promotion 10 years ago? Of course not. Your boiling urine or other people's warm balm are all the same to Wrexham. Publicity is publicity.
Yep, good points. Truth be told, I find it cathartic to hate them and it's the first fixture I'll be looking for when they're released. It's nice to have 2 guaranteed Welsh derbies.

We may not be able to compete totally in money but surely there are instances where we could offer longer contracts. Offering Norman a 3 year contract isn’t a massive risk given his age and fitness, gives us the chance of a transfer fee at some point and might just give him something to think about versus a 2 year contract on higher wages. Worth a shot at least in my opinion.

Collars wrote: May 15th, 2023, 2:01 pm We may not be able to compete totally in money but surely there are instances where we could offer longer contracts. Offering Norman a 3 year contract isn’t a massive risk given his age and fitness, gives us the chance of a transfer fee at some point and might just give him something to think about versus a 2 year contract on higher wages. Worth a shot at least in my opinion.
I agree entirely with you that we should give it a shot. I don't think we can keep him, but I could be wrong. I think trying and failing is far better than simply failing.

But I would add that if we fail, we should ask why.

excessbee wrote: May 15th, 2023, 6:27 pm I suppose we don't know whether Norman was offered a three year contract (or an extension mid season) which was declined. Before he signed for us, he was not a player I was aware of so, who knows, there may be another of similar calibre lurking in the wings.
There are players in non-league of similar calibre. There are better players in non-league. Finding them is hard, finding them when others with more resources is harder still and if the player has a good job away from football persuading him to sign is hardest of all.

Can it be done? Yes. Will we do it? I'll tell you in October.

excessbee wrote: May 15th, 2023, 6:27 pm I suppose we don't know whether Norman was offered a three year contract (or an extension mid season) which was declined. Before he signed for us, he was not a player I was aware of so, who knows, there may be another of similar calibre lurking in the wings.
We don't indeed but GC knows his budget and I'm sure has his view on how much of it he is prepared to spend on each of the players to whom he has given offers. I now see rumours that both Cardiff and Rotherham are interested in signing Norman. If either of those offer him Championship terms, no length of contract we offer will compete. Cardiff do seem to get mentioned a lot with regards to rumours despite the uncertainty over who their manager will be. If Norman gets a gig at Championship level, good luck to him, he's earned it.