Ambiguity.

In the Argus article by Chris Kirwan dated 10th May 2023a number of issues are raised by Peter Madigan speaking on behalf of Newport County AFC. Unfortunately it gives rise to a number of concerns. As I know the directors of Newport County read this board they will no doubt appreciate advance notice of the concerns I will be raising when I attend the AGM.

Firstly two directors of Newport County were quite clear on Monday 8th May in informing a supporter of this club before the game v Crewe that they who at the club was leaking information. However two days later Mr Madigan is quoted directly as saying:

"I don't know where the various rumours have come from and it's sort of damaging........"

I agree entirely with it being damaging. I also think it damaging when directors of the club say one thing on Monday and are quoted two days later in the Argus saying the exact opposite.

More concerning. Mr Madigan also says:

"...but the club doesn't have any debts as such."

Which I suspect most people would assume means we are not in debt. However always beware of qualifications. It seems that the outstanding loan to Les Scadding for which we pay £3,000 per month and Dragons being a creditor don't count as such.

I don't have a problem with the fact Newport County are in debt. I do have a problem with directors saying we are not in debt as such. Too many supporters fell for "We have cleared our historic debt." Which as I suspected turned out to be we borrowed money to pay off our borrowing.

It's always best if you give clear unambiguous answers. For instance if I wete asked if it were true that I was being investigated by An Garda Siochana for running guns to dissident republicans in Derry I would say no. I would not say that's wide of the mark.

Re: Ambiguity.

On PM not knowing the source of the leak, surely we can only doubt that statement if we know he was the individual who made the contradictory statement days earlier. It is possible for other directors to feel they know the source of the leak, and for PM to simultaneously not know. It needn’t be common knowledge?

On debts, I’d understand your point about ambiguity about debt if all PM had said was “the club doesn’t have any debts” and not provided any other details. But the article clearly sets out the ‘debts’ that he is clarifying. I don’t think anyone reading the article would come to the conclusion that the club doesn’t have ongoing financial obligations of some sort. It seemed like a fairly transparent statement of our outgoings, even if PM wanted to characterise the club as free from onerous debts. I don’t think we’d describe any of the payments set out as onerous?

landinho wrote: May 12th, 2023, 12:32 pm On PM not knowing the source of the leak, surely we can only doubt that statement if we know he was the individual who made the contradictory statement days earlier. It is possible for other directors to feel they know the source of the leak, and for PM to simultaneously not know. It needn’t be common knowledge?

On debts, I’d understand your point about ambiguity about debt if all PM had said was “the club doesn’t have any debts” and not provided any other details. But the article clearly sets out the ‘debts’ that he is clarifying. I don’t think anyone reading the article would come to the conclusion that the club doesn’t have ongoing financial obligations of some sort. It seemed like a fairly transparent statement of our outgoings, even if PM wanted to characterise the club as free from onerous debts. I don’t think we’d describe any of the payments set out as onerous?
I can't and don't say that it was Peter Madigan was one of the two directors who spoke before the Crewe game.

My view and I think not controversial, is that directors have collective responsibility. If therefore different directors say contradictory things then I am concerned.

I don't ever give the names of people who tell me things. I am absolutely certain of the integrity of the person who pm'd me. And when you think about it the information given was very pro club. As I will be at the AGM no doubt the directors will be able to clarify the situation.

To avoid doubt. All I want is my club to be transparent. This year, the Secretary, the head of football recruitment, and three directors have left the club. Accounts have not been filed and the first team manager has given interviews saying behind the scenes the club has done things which shouldn't go on.

I would love if this all turns out to be a storm in a tea-cup. I'm sure we all would. But surely there is cause for concern.

excessbee wrote: May 12th, 2023, 1:45 pm Am I correct in thinking that we have not yet reached the due date for filing accounts (end of June?). so this should not be included in your list of criticisms.
Correct. Companies House says accounts aren’t due until June 30th.
Nor have three directors left the club. It’s two.
If the AGM is for the Trust, then I believe only active Trust members can attend. Stan has told us repeatedly he isn’t a member.

excessbee wrote: May 12th, 2023, 1:45 pm Am I correct in thinking that we have not yet reached the due date for filing accounts (end of June?). so this should not be included in your list of criticisms.
I don't know what the filing return date is. I know it's annual and I know the last return was in March 2022.

That's the thing about transparency. Questions can be asked when concerns arise and answered to allay those concerns. If there is a regime of silence then suspicions are raised.

If I may ask, do you know that the filing date is the end of June?

Jonesy3 wrote: May 12th, 2023, 1:51 pm
If the AGM is for the Trust, then I believe only active Trust members can attend. Stan has told us repeatedly he isn’t a member.
Actually I think you will find it is 3 if you include Nigel Stephenson’ recent deletion from the list of Directors.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: May 12th, 2023, 2:13 pm
Actually I think you will find it is 3 if you include Nigel Stephenson’ recent deletion from the list of Directors.
The three I was thinking of were Kelly Anderson, Kevin Ward and Gavin Foxall.

But in any event that's not really the point. There is an AGM coming up. I have a lot of questions, I'm sure a lot of people do. However the good thing is that it gives us a chance to reset.

If the present board wish to regain trust in their management of our club they need to be up front. We can't do anything about the past. But we can own it.

I think I can just about forgive if the club say sorry, we f@cked up, this is what we did which we shouldn't have done, we're going to be far more open in future and intend to work with supporters to ensure Newport County thrive.

I live in hope.
Last edited by Stan A. Einstein on May 12th, 2023, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nigel wasn’t a director. He was company secretary as well as general manager. Company secretaries are listed on Companies House.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 12th, 2023, 2:26 pm
Didn’t Kelly Anderson step down from the Board so that she could take up the role of General Manager?

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: May 12th, 2023, 2:33 pm
Didn’t Kelly Anderson step down from the Board so that she could take up the role of General Manager?
Kelly Anderson resigned from the Board in July 2021.

https://www.ncafctrust.org/news/notes-f ... d-meeting/

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: May 12th, 2023, 2:33 pm
Unless he gets quoted I am denied Jonesy3's contributions.

Having seen it I will respond.

Jonesy3 is right.

Nigel Stephenson, Kelly Anderson, Gavin Foxall and Kevin Ward have all left the club recently. My point remains unaltered.