Sports betting

Lots been said on here about the pro’s and con’s of betting. I enjoy a small flutter but do realise that some people struggle. However, there are some things with Sports and online betting that are just not defensible under any circumstance.

The CEO of betting company Bet365 was paid £213 million pounds last year. I hope she can afford to pay her bills and is not struggling. The year before she earned £250 million. That’s a 15% pay cut in a year. Hopefully she will manage.

The term ‘windfall tax’ springs to mind for me. Ted Heath once said of a particular venture that it was the ‘unacceptable face of Capitalism’. This is another. I am just glad that I have not paid a penny into the company funds and have no intention of ever doing so.

Re: Sports betting

From my viewpoint, what Denise Coates earns is not a concern as long as the odds offered are competitively priced. (Bet365) is competitive compared to other bookmakers. There's clearly huge profits earnt from the bad bets that pump this and other bookmakers' full of coin.

pembsexile wrote: January 6th, 2023, 4:39 pm Lots been said on here about the pro’s and con’s of betting. I enjoy a small flutter but do realise that some people struggle. However, there are some things with Sports and online betting that are just not defensible under any circumstance.

The CEO of betting company Bet365 was paid £213 million pounds last year. I hope she can afford to pay her bills and is not struggling. The year before she earned £250 million. That’s a 15% pay cut in a year. Hopefully she will manage.

The term ‘windfall tax’ springs to mind for me. Ted Heath once said of a particular venture that it was the ‘unacceptable face of Capitalism’. This is another. I am just glad that I have not paid a penny into the company funds and have no intention of ever doing so.
What's the acceptable face?

People gambling on these websites should be subject to credit checks in my opinion. Gambling companies are ruining families, and all this could be reduced markedly if they were forced to complete basic affordability checks. The technology already exists to access someone's current account and see what they earn and what they spend. These sites could then impose an independently calculated limit as to how much this person is allowed to gamble.

Personal responsibility and all that, yeah yeah yeah, but some people can't stop, and it's often their partners and kids who suffer the consequences.

rncfc wrote: January 9th, 2023, 10:40 am People gambling on these websites should be subject to credit checks in my opinion. Gambling companies are ruining families, and all this could be reduced markedly if they were forced to complete basic affordability checks. The technology already exists to access someone's current account and see what they earn and what they spend. These sites could then impose an independently calculated limit as to how much this person is allowed to gamble.

Personal responsibility and all that, yeah yeah yeah, but some people can't stop, and it's often their partners and kids who suffer the consequences.
I agree. I'll tell you another thing which would help.

We often hear that someone is going to prison having stolen £1,000s from their employer to finance their gambling addiction. There are laws in place to recover these monies from those who benefit from these thefts if the recipient was or should have been aware that the monies were or may have been stolen. If bookmakers were to repay these ill-gotten gains, and banged up unless they put in reasonable programmes to prevent people using stolen money, that would be a start.

Gambling is for many is an addiction. The money this money made from the misery of her fellow human beings is obscene.