Re: Number of Welsh speakers declining

A slight tangent. Forgive me.

Way back when I lived in Newport I recall a variety of local pronunciations that - I assume - would vex a bona fide Welshman.

Three that spring to mind:
Lliswerry
Pillmawr Road (cos I lived there)
Cambrian Road (cos that's where I caught the bus home).

Given the resurgence of Welsh identity in recent years are bastardised pronunciations less evident? Or will that take a few years more?

As an aside, I recently heard my (Newport-born but left aged 18) sister absolutely murder the pronunciation of Llangollen (first half good, second half bad). Even I was appalled at that.

Don't think bastardised pronunciations are any less evident, given the length of time they have been pronounced that way and spelling partly anglicised. E.g. Pilmawr, pilgwenlli, ysbyty(spytty) and llyswerri. Regional dialects are of course prevalent and in many areas of Wales and England for that matter which aren't technically correct. It's not a exclusively Newport thing. Or Newput as they pronounce it in Pontypool.
Also as an aside on the topic of he number of Welsh speakers, I read the most recent guesstimate for England is the number has increased to over 110,000. Apparently there had been an increase in numbers learning during the pandemic shutdowns. Not forgetting of course over 650,000 currently living in England were born in Cymru.

JonD wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 9:05 am I got six, though some I wasn't confident about.

A year or three ago I had a bash at learning Welsh on Duolingo but I found it too difficult. I'm finding French way easier 😁.

And way more useful 🇫🇷
I can relate to that comment about Duolingo Jon. I tried that a few years back. Was going very well until I got stuck on one particular lesson. To me, it just seemed to jump up a level and I never got past it even though I attempted it numerous times. That particular page just seemed to be not taught at all. It was very annoying. Don’t bother with it any more.

pembsexile wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 12:50 pm
JonD wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 9:05 am I got six, though some I wasn't confident about.

A year or three ago I had a bash at learning Welsh on Duolingo but I found it too difficult. I'm finding French way easier 😁.

And way more useful 🇫🇷
I can relate to that comment about Duolingo Jon. I tried that a few years back. Was going very well until I got stuck on one particular lesson. To me, it just seemed to jump up a level and I never got past it even though I attempted it numerous times. That particular page just seemed to be not taught at all. It was very annoying. Don’t bother with it any more.
Can understand your frustration. It's not for me either, although some swear by it. Accept people's preferred learning methods vary. Personally have found face to face formal classes far more beneficial; or even informal chat clubs clwb cloncwhich are often free, where you get to learn more everyday speak and idioms such as mae hi,n bwrw glaw hen gwraig a ffyn. Literally meaning it's raining old women and sticks.