Rainbow symbols OK - St George crusader knight outfits not OK?!

I know we have had lots of discussion about morality/politics in football especially around this world cup but does seem uber hypocritical and very odd that its fine to tread all over local customs by supporting [say] LGBT rights (whether we agree with said rights or not) but NOT to wear a silly 'St George' crusader outfit which has a tenuous link to very distant historical events and is not being worn to get a reaction even if it is nominally ‘offensive’ – while *say* a rainbow bucket hat IS [worn specifically to get a rise out of the hosts] - almost as if the plebeian football fans should only be encouraged to 'be their true selves' when it suits the chattering classes?

In my view both are just just items of clothing and the hosts would have been better to ignore them being worn, albeit the wearing of a rainbow bucket hat/badge will do absolutely nothing for LGBT* rights in Qatar but at least make a few smug hypocrites feel better.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2022/11/2 ... -in-qatar/

*many within and outwith the gay/Bi community [such that a 'community' exists] resent the inclusion of the 'T' which doesn't really align with sexuality but there we are

[edit] I'm admittedly a smug hypocrite myself on many an occasion

Re: Rainbow symbols OK - St George crusader knight outfits not OK?!

CathedralCounty wrote: November 25th, 2022, 11:23 am I know we have had lots of discussion about morality/politics in football especially around this world cup but does seem uber hypocritical and very odd that its fine to tread all over local customs by supporting [say] LGBT rights (whether we agree with said rights or not) but NOT to wear a silly 'St George' crusader outfit which has a tenuous link to very distant historical events and is not being worn to get a reaction even if it is nominally ‘offensive’ – while *say* a rainbow bucket hat IS [worn specifically to get a rise out of the hosts] - almost as if the plebeian football fans should only be encouraged to 'be their true selves' when it suits the chattering classes?

In my view both are just just items of clothing and the hosts would have been better to ignore them being worn, albeit the wearing of a rainbow bucket hat/badge will do absolutely nothing for LGBT* rights in Qatar but at least make a few smug hypocrites feel better.

*many within and outwith the gay/Bi community [such that a 'community' exists] resent the inclusion of the 'T' which doesn't really align with sexuality but there we are

How did you keep your essays short at university?

DT1892 wrote: November 25th, 2022, 5:32 pm One is a symbol of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender pride. In this context, being used to protest the lack of rights and danger that they themselves, or others, could face in Qatar. The other is a fancy dress costume, nobody is oppressing those who want to dress up like 'St. George'.
Well clearly those who wish to dress up ARE being “oppressed”! But think you’re missing the point-if *say* kick it out say to “respect local customs” then an “I’m here and I’m queer [or support that lifestyle]” attitude via symbols or clothing IS being disrespectful notwithstanding the clusterfuck that is the Qatar World Cup including ticketing and visa issues - I don’t agree with it being in Qatar BUT Wales chose to enter the qualifying tournament and attend the finals now we are there having made that choice can we just stop all the hollow and competitive virtue signaling?! Frankly a flipping bucket hat does NOT advance anyone’s rights it just highlights laughable hypocrisy.

North London Exile wrote: November 25th, 2022, 6:39 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: November 25th, 2022, 11:23 am I know we have had lots of discussion about morality/politics in football especially around this world cup but does seem uber hypocritical and very odd that its fine to tread all over local customs by supporting [say] LGBT rights (whether we agree with said rights or not) but NOT to wear a silly 'St George' crusader outfit which has a tenuous link to very distant historical events and is not being worn to get a reaction even if it is nominally ‘offensive’ – while *say* a rainbow bucket hat IS [worn specifically to get a rise out of the hosts] - almost as if the plebeian football fans should only be encouraged to 'be their true selves' when it suits the chattering classes?

How did you keep your essays short at university?
I dunno attention spans nowadays tch :wink: