Re: Calling all Numismatists

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: May 25th, 2022, 11:15 am I’ve never seen any of the new 10p coins and was beginning to think they don’t exist. I guess I can apply and pay over face value to get a set from the Royal Mint?
Yes you can. The Royal Mint sell first mint (but not brilliant uncirculated) 10p coins as an alphabet set. Unfortunately they used to cost £55 for the full set. If you go to the Royal Mint you can also exchange ‘normal’ 10p coins for any of the alphabet 10p coins that they have available. Obviously the more scarce the coins are, the less likely they are to be available to swap. I have been trying to get a second set of these but until recently the Royal Mint was closed to visitors due to Covid. I still have about 6 to get for my second set and the Z coin is one of them. I’ll see if I can post up a photo of the full set in a RM folder later.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: July 13th, 2022, 5:35 pm Hello Pembs, hope you’re well?

Got a 2015 ‘The First World War 1914-1918’ Royal Navy £2 coin in my change today. Google tells me wildly different things about its scarcity and value. It’s in ‘above average condition’.

Be grateful for your views please?

Thanks
Hi DeePee, all ok thanks.

Some facts on the coin. It is 8th out of 37 on the coin scarcity index via change checker. It had a mintage of 650,000 so is relatively rare.

Opinions - it is an interesting coin and there have been a few articles about it. One story doing the internet rounds a few years ago said that there was a rare type. This is not true. On some coins, above the top of the mast, there seems to be an extension of a flag. This has been put down to some shrapnel that got into a die at the Royal Mint and made it look different. It will add nothing to its value. Because of its relative scarcity it is one of the coins that has been copied. There are coins of this type doing the rounds without the correct wording around the edges of the coin. These are fakes. As I have mentioned previously, a quick check to find out is to hold the coin vertically with the mast upwards. Spin the coin through 180 degrees and the Queens head should also be vertical. If it isn’t, it’s a dud.

That said, there is no regular reason why your coin shouldn’t be genuine. It will have a value of about £3.50 to £4 so personally, I would keep it. If you get the full set of 37 coins then that will be worth something. If you are going to keep it, put it in a coin capsule to avoid it getting scratched. Good luck.

For those of you that are interested, the Royal Mint recently announced that they will be issuing the first in a series of Harry Potter coins. No date for the issue yet though. My advice, get the set, that is how you will make money in the future, people buy sets of coins. It’s also fun collecting the full range, bit commercial I know but, hey ho.

pembsexile wrote: August 12th, 2022, 2:21 pm For those of you that are interested, the Royal Mint recently announced that they will be issuing the first in a series of Harry Potter coins. No date for the issue yet though. My advice, get the set, that is how you will make money in the future, people buy sets of coins. It’s also fun collecting the full range, bit commercial I know but, hey ho.
Thank you for this thread. I've enjoyed all your input, expertise, and knowledge. Thank you. It has been a great help to me.

Torquay Exile wrote: August 16th, 2022, 3:52 pm
pembsexile wrote: August 12th, 2022, 2:21 pm For those of you that are interested, the Royal Mint recently announced that they will be issuing the first in a series of Harry Potter coins. No date for the issue yet though. My advice, get the set, that is how you will make money in the future, people buy sets of coins. It’s also fun collecting the full range, bit commercial I know but, hey ho.
Thank you for this thread. I've enjoyed all your input, expertise, and knowledge. Thank you. It has been a great help to me.
Thanks for the comments. It is appreciated. Share the knowledge is my mantra regarding coins. The more the merrier. I am quite surprised the thread has lasted so long tbh. Just one thing - I am no expert, I just have acquired knowledge. If you want expert input, see the monthly magazine ‘Coin News’, some of the expert opinion on there is mind boggling. Goes way over my head sometimes.

The change checker website has just issued its latest scarcity index to highlight the rarest coins in circulation with regards to £2, 50p and 10p coins. No major changes but it is becoming quite significant that the most rare 10p coins in order are R, W and Z. If you get any of these coins keep them as no doubt someone will make you an offer. I have no idea how they are so rare as the Royal Mint stated that they issued the same number of all the 10p alphabet coins. Still never seen one in my change in Pembrokeshire though.

Quick update on the coin/banknote situation with regards to the death of HM the Queen:

Obviously, all current coinage with the Queen portrait can continue to be used. No banknotes or coins with the Kings image will be released until the King has sat for his official portrait. When this has been done, the Bank of England and the Royal Mint will announce it. There is speculation that this may take a year or two. Speculation is mounting because there has been no announcement of the effigy on the further 2022 coins and coins for 2023. My guess is that they will still issue them with the Queens head on. Not certain though. Coin collectors are saying that it may be a good idea/investment to collect coins from 2022/2023.

It is also not certain in what direction the Monarch head will face. It is coin tradition that the portrait of the sovereign on a coin faces the opposite way to the previous Monarch. However, this tradition was broken by Edward V111 who believed his best side was left as the previous Monarch faced. However, none of his coins were officially circulated as he was not crowned. George V1 went back to the traditional way, as did his daughter the Queen.

The Royal cypher you will see on coins will be CR instead of ER with the associated crest. This will be the same cypher that appears on postboxes, Royal Warrants etc.

Finally and completely separately, the paper £20 and £50 pound notes will cease to be legal tender at the end of September. Polyester notes only from then on. You will still be able to exchange them in Banks though.

As you may have noticed in the news, the Royal Mint is issuing the new King Charles 50p and a commemorative £5 coin early next week available for collectors. I won’t be getting any. The 50p will apparently be made available to the general public by the end of the year. As is custom the effigy of the King will show his left profile, a reversal from his mother.

Just another reminder that from Saturday you will be unable to spend any paper £20 or £50 pound notes anymore. You can still change them in banks though.

If there are any collectors of £2 coins out there, you may be pleased to know that the Royal Mint has just issued a £2 Technology coin to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the first issue of this coin. I have always regarded the £2 technology coin as the least impressive of all of the £2 coins that the RM issue. This is probably because there are billions of them in circulation and they are the most common £2 coin out there.

However, there are several neat things about this coin. It has a feature in the middle of the coin whereby if you tilt it slightly you can see the figure 25 in the middle of the coin. Also it has two dates on it. 2022 on one side and 1997 on the other. However, what collectors may like is that this will be the last coin that the RM issue with the effigy of the late Queen on it. I think that for this reason alone, it may rise in value in future years. Look out for them or you can get them from collector sites including the Royal Mint.

I have mentioned on here previously that no new £2 coin has entered circulation since 2017. The Royal Mint has just announced that they released a £2 Britannia coin in 2021. It has a mintage of over 6 million so there will be plenty about. They won’t be worth more than face value if you are going to collect them though.

The RM have also shown the design of the new £5, £10, £20 and £50 pound notes with the King’s portrait on them as well. They are not due to be released into circulation until 2024. Look out for serial numbers beginning with AA01…………..In a previous auction in London some of these earlier notes in circulation with those serial numbers went for 5/6 thousand pounds. Crazy, but there you are. Also look out for serial numbers beginning with AK47. Lots of people collect them as well. Good luck.