Re: Bogle is....

The surprise for me is that Bogle has been playing the whole 90 minutes.There have been games where a change was needed and,with forwards on the bench,it seemed strange that he stayed on.It seems that Graham wanted to give the starting players a good chance to show what they are made of in these early matches and,he is now getting a clearer picture of what he’s got.

Percy plunkett wrote: November 20th, 2022, 12:01 pm The surprise for me is that Bogle has been playing the whole 90 minutes.There have been games where a change was needed and,with forwards on the bench,it seemed strange that he stayed on.It seems that Graham wanted to give the starting players a good chance to show what they are made of in these early matches and,he is now getting a clearer picture of what he’s got.
Yes I think much the same - he must be pretty disappointed despite his upbeat comments lately! He realises he needs both that he has to get more out of what he’s been stuck with and that he preferably needs to get a couple in the window.

Bangitintrnet wrote: November 20th, 2022, 2:47 pm And without the Glaziers owning us.....

This week some want rid of our top goalscorer, who has scored more on his own than the entire Gillingham team have. Last week it was Day, strange how no one has mentioned him this week.
True though in truth Gillingham aren’t notable for scoring are they? Look at the stats. Joe Day did make a couple of decent saves though yesterday to repay Coughlan’s confidence in him.

Good Morning

Bogle is not “feckin useless”. He is also not a premier league standard striker. So he fits in somewhere in between, as do all of our League Two standard players. From his point of view he has probably got the best deal that he could get and is doing the best he can. I don’t think players under perform on purpose. It seems his “best” isn’t good enough in many supporters eyes. Having seen a few games recently I totally understand why. He does give an impression of not putting himself about enough, especially, to my view, in aerial challenges. He also seems to get held, pulled and obstructed constantly without gaining a free kick. He does appear to have reasonable ball control and is very strong. So like all players at this level, a mixed bag of talent, effort and application. It is the current managers job to get the best out of him whilst he is including him in the squad.
While the manager thinks fit to put him on the pitch it is surely in all our interests to support him to do the best he can whilst accepting his weaknesses. If he continues to not impress is that then also partly the fault of the manager who puts him on the pitch?
At this level we get what we can afford within talent parameters of those willing to play at this level for the given wage.

Phil in Northampton

phil_in_npton wrote: November 21st, 2022, 7:26 am Good Morning

Bogle is not “feckin useless”. He is also not a premier league standard striker. So he fits in somewhere in between, as do all of our League Two standard players. From his point of view he has probably got the best deal that he could get and is doing the best he can. I don’t think players under perform on purpose. It seems his “best” isn’t good enough in many supporters eyes. Having seen a few games recently I totally understand why. He does give an impression of not putting himself about enough, especially, to my view, in aerial challenges. He also seems to get held, pulled and obstructed constantly without gaining a free kick. He does appear to have reasonable ball control and is very strong. So like all players at this level, a mixed bag of talent, effort and application. It is the current managers job to get the best out of him whilst he is including him in the squad.
While the manager thinks fit to put him on the pitch it is surely in all our interests to support him to do the best he can whilst accepting his weaknesses. If he continues to not impress is that then also partly the fault of the manager who puts him on the pitch?
At this level we get what we can afford within talent parameters of those willing to play at this level for the given wage.

Phil in Northampton
It also helps if the tactics suit his style. He is always manhandled by two players therefore he tends to try and find space. He prefers to receive the ball with his back to goal but needs runners to distract defenders and create space. As such he scored most of his goals under James Rowberry.