Re: Motorway protesters.....your thoughts please.

JonD wrote: November 11th, 2022, 1:10 pm Cathedralcity and any other witch-burners ought to go and live in China. They'd like it there 😂. Proper law enforcement. None of this namby pamby stuff we have to tolerate here.

By the way, I read this week that the detection rate for reported burglaries in this country stands at a rather impressive 4%. So that should calm the nerves of folk worried about police being occupied by climate protestors instead of crime prevention.

UTP makes an interesting point. What if these protestors are right? Shouldn't we heed their warnings rather than huff and puff about the inconvenience as if we were a bunch of NIMBY tories? Mightn't that expedite positive change?
I believe in proportionate, fair and unbiased policing - so if this bunch of middle class buffoons disrupt the lives of 1000's of people a 'robust' approach is called for - we can't pick and choose which protests are 'allowed' we either baton charge and pepper spray people or we don't - the nature of the protest is irrelevant - chucking a statue in a river and then rioting and firebombing a police station? 'well its a BLM thing so let them get on with it eh?' - [peacefully] protesting against lock downs 'right lads visors on tasers out lets smash them' - 'er why guv' - 'its politics init lads - we don't police fairly we police politically' - 'oh I see inspector - right go it now - tasers on full power for this lot then?' - I'm being slightly facetious but that's not far off (whether one agrees with the protesters/rioters in either example or not).

I'll update my position - we should put them to work building and staffing and living within 1 mile of a new nuclear power station and make them pay for it [the building thereof] as well...

Re: Motorway protesters.....your thoughts please.

I'm not sure if you have a message, how you can get that across if it isn't necessarily a vote winner, these days.
I think back to historic protests - mainly about war-and let's face it wars these days are all about the west and the need for fuel.
The ladies at Greenham common did get rid of the cruise missiles eventually. They were only located in Britain because the French (great nation of protesters) banned all foreign forces.
The French also had a large program of nuclear electricity generation on the North Coast, as just after the war we decided not to export coal, and France decided that it would no longer rely on foreign imports for fuel security. France was also testing nuclear weapons in Pacific Atolls at the time, and ended up bombing and sinking the Green Peace protest ship Rainbow Warrior in New Zealand. All nuclear warhead testing then ground to a halt.
So a winning history is on the side of peaceful protesting, even if it is inconvenient to the fuel dependant.