Re: Grandstand = Bradford City v Newport County (Away)

flat4 wrote: August 14th, 2022, 2:53 pm
bedeck wrote: August 13th, 2022, 4:47 pm In Rowberry we trust.
Cardiff didn't, just watched JR`s post match interview, in this case a video paints a thousand hours, he looked like a man with the world on his shoulders, a coach he may be, but a manager he is definitely not, he needs experience at his side, while he learns the trade, the one thing that stood out the most, there was no mention of the collective, we now have 3 home games on the bounce (2 league 1 cup). GF you instigated the demise of MF and brought in JR, are you prepared to so you may have been wrong.
A conclusion I came to last season as my posts will show. I said then that he ne eded a Lennie figure because though he may be a good coach, he’s definitely not a manager as he proved when he failed to get a tune out of the failing whistle that was last years team. Frankly, I’m worried. I want to be proved wrong but to do that, the minimum he must do is not get the team sheet wrong. After good performances by Waite, Zimba and Bowen he ignores them all and goes for what we all know is bound to fail. We’re back to blaming it on “mistakes”. Let’s hope we haven’t made one big one in his appointment. The next three games are a very tough yardstick to judge him on but how long does he get? Just asking, ten games? Fifteen? Xmas? It mustn’t be left too late.

lowandhard wrote: August 14th, 2022, 3:34 pm

Cardiff didn't, just watched JR`s post match interview, in this case a video paints a thousand hours, he looked like a man with the world on his shoulders, a coach he may be, but a manager he is definitely not, he needs experience at his side, while he learns the trade, the one thing that stood out the most, there was no mention of the collective, we now have 3 home games on the bounce (2 league 1 cup). GF you instigated the demise of MF and brought in JR, are you prepared to so you may have been wrong.
A conclusion I came to last season as my posts will show. I said then that he ne eded a Lennie figure because though he may be a good coach, he’s definitely not a manager as he proved when he failed to get a tune out of the failing whistle that was last years team. Frankly, I’m worried. I want to be proved wrong but to do that, the minimum he must do is not get the team sheet wrong. After good performances by Waite, Zimba and Bowen he ignores them all and goes for what we all know is bound to fail. We’re back to blaming it on “mistakes”. Let’s hope we haven’t made one big one in his appointment. The next three games are a very tough yardstick to judge him on but how long does he get? Just asking, ten games? Fifteen? Xmas? It mustn’t be left too late.
[/quote]

Just my view.
After the debacle of last seasons run in, I would have before the season began given him 10 games to get at least 12 points. For me he needs 11 points from the next 7 games.

flat4 wrote: August 14th, 2022, 3:21 pm
ajs wrote: August 14th, 2022, 3:12 pm What a load of bo--oks Flat 4
That`s your opinion which you are entitled too, there are things that happened last season that you would not be aware of, unless you were part of it. Hope this is not the case....
I have only follow the county since 1951 starting as a nine year old when my parents moved to Somerton Road, don't see so much of them now as I live a fair distance away. I am grateful we have a side but there again the county followers including my relatives have always bee fickle and very critical. I'm an optimist.

Ajs couldn't of put it better myself.
I love the natural fighting spirit of Newportonians but I hate the general glass half empty negative side to us.
For me both are part of us but I'd much rather levitate to the fighting spirit.
I was at yesterday's game and although we started slow we were more than Bradfords equal for 40 minutes of the first half.
The sending off changes the whole dynamic of the game and I agree with Jr's comments that at that time of the game you change your style of play and decision making, it cost us last season against Oldham home and Sutton away.
I listened to JRs podcast and forget football his life values are spot on.
I've got massive belief in JR because he's got things right in the bigger picture and those values will only benefit the group in the long run.

County Exile wrote: August 15th, 2022, 5:06 pm
Just my view.
After the debacle of last seasons run in, I would have before the season began given him 10 games to get at least 12 points. For me he needs 11 points from the next 7 games.
Bristol Rovers' start to last season was 10 points from 10 games, with 6 defeats. Wonder what would have happened if they had sacked Barton after that start?
Quite true.
But Barton wasn't afraid to say it as it was in his post match interviews.
He laid out out thick and truthfully saying his side wasn't up to it, none of this process and collective management talk.
I think a lot of other managers ought to be a bit more honest in their interviews, instead of regurgitating cliche lines, fans and the pubic soon see through it and you don't fool anyone.
Fair play to him he did turn them around and gain promotion.

Yep after an appalling start under his tenure (13 defeats in his first 18 matches, including losing the final 5 matches of that season) he had a clear out, formed his own squad and gradually produced a promotion winning team, despite 6 defeats in the first 10 matches of the following season. I wonder if Rovers fans were saying he wasn't up to it after the end of season debacle and poor form in the first 10, let alone after just 3 league matches into the new season?

County Exile wrote: August 15th, 2022, 7:01 pm Yep after an appalling start under his tenure (13 defeats in his first 18 matches, including losing the final 5 matches of that season) he had a clear out, formed his own squad and gradually produced a promotion winning team, despite 6 defeats in the first 10 matches of the following season. I wonder if Rovers fans were saying he wasn't up to it after the end of season debacle and poor form in the first 10, let alone after just 3 league matches into the new season?
Probably a number were.

County Exile wrote: August 15th, 2022, 5:06 pm
Just my view.
Bristol Rovers' start to last season was 10 points from 10 games, with 6 defeats. Wonder what would have happened if they had sacked Barton after that start?
Absolutely. This is a judgement call. Perhaps Warren Feeney or Anthony Hudson would have turned things around given more time. The economists term for this is opportunity cost. Any decision you make denies you the opportunity to do something else and you will never know the outcome of the decision you decided against.
On the facts I know all I can do is to say what I would do. Every view is valid.

I agree with you County exile.

I wrote elsewhere that the league 2 teams of last season were Rovers, Exeter and Mansfield.

All 3 had poor starts 2 got promoted 1 made the play off final.

We've changed our strategy which people were screaming for ie see if we can pick any gems up from the league of Wales and we've picked 2 up, give our youngsters a chance and develop them, we're doing that, we've also brought in experience eg Bogle.

We're 3 games in and the usual suspects on social media the same ones who wanted this change of direction and championed this policy are now calling for JR to go you really couldn't make it up.

We were always going to take a while to gel and I still believe we'll turn the corner soon and go on a unbeaten run.

supporter wrote: August 16th, 2022, 8:26 am I agree with you County exile.

I wrote elsewhere that the league 2 teams of last season were Rovers, Exeter and Mansfield.

All 3 had poor starts 2 got promoted 1 made the play off final.

We've changed our strategy which people were screaming for ie see if we can pick any gems up from the league of Wales and we've picked 2 up, give our youngsters a chance and develop them, we're doing that, we've also brought in experience eg Bogle.

We're 3 games in and the usual suspects on social media the same ones who wanted this change of direction and championed this policy are now calling for JR to go you really couldn't make it up.

We were always going to take a while to gel and I still believe we'll turn the corner soon and go on a unbeaten run.

Agree, he did very well with a side that he had inherited. He was then restricted at Christmas by needing to reduce rather that enhance the squad.

To me he got the best out of players such as Dom Telford, and as a recent signing said, he will provide the love that I thrive upon.

I see that as a big difference to Flynns signings, as he tended to go for captain material. I think that was because he liked mentally strong individuals, but too many, and the team doesn't have enough Indians.

It's a ballance, and I think him signing ex Cardiff as a good thing, as he can sign players who he knows and knows how good they can be. They already know each other, and where they are likely to move into space.

I see this as a big transition season, and would be supprised if it all clicked straight off. However longer term, I can see them progressing as a team, as their original clubs had hoped they would as individuals.