Re: Grandstand. County v Walsall

Having had time to reflect, some brief thoughts in no particular order –
1. A match Newport should never have lost.
2. Strange to see Flynny and Harts in the opponent’s dugout, even stranger as home and away swapped around with them in the same places they were when in charge of County. I’m glad they had a good reception.
3. I said to mate at half time this has all the hallmarks of recent county performances, cannot score, Walsall will have one shot on target and score one goal (prescient or what!). However, I’m not sure Walsall actually had a shot on goal looking at the own goal.
4. I was concerned after the first 5-10 minutes but after that we just did not look like “relegation fodder” in my view. I’m not too concerned yet, though I have to say that to me this does have a slight “Anthony Hudson” feel regarding the coaching/managing distinction. Hopefully, James will be luckier.
5. Please please please players other than Mickey shoot, you will get a huge round of support just for trying as people around me were almost baying for a shot instead of another pass sideways or back.
6. My feeling at the end of the match was disappointment as I think we will play worse than that and get all 3 points. However, I was also frustrated at what football is turning into with the Walsall performance when then went in front with the referee seemingly happy enough to condone.
7. No sour grapes but if I was a Walsall fan I wouldn’t be too cocky about being top of table. They looked woeful at times and the level of cheating (harsh word but fair given the amount of play acting, time wasting etc.) that went on was on another level to what I have seen recently. If that is what they are going to be served up on a regular basis and they don’t keep winning, then they will be on Flynny’s back pretty quickly.
8. I’m not sure of the trajectory of the water bottle or where it came from but the one I saw from just to the right of the dugout in the Compeed seats, had no water in it and cleared the dugout hitting one of the Walsall staff. He didn’t make a meal of it, looked around behind him and just placed the bottle on the floor. How long before the area behind the dugout closed again?

Anyway, onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

Re: Grandstand. County v Walsall

Blackandamber wrote: August 9th, 2022, 10:48 am The future for Robbie Willmott at the County doesn't look too bright. JR used 5 substitutes against Walsall when we were chasing the game, including 2 wing backs but left Robbie on the bench. Unless he is carrying an injury or JR has decided to play him at centre back this season then maybe Robbie could be looking at a loan move.

Perhaps he's got an eye on tonight's match because Cup runs are important for the club's financial future same as most lower league clubs