Re: An open letter to the chair of Newport County.

wattsville_boy wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 3:11 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 18th, 2022, 4:37 pm We should not be cynical. One would expect the representatives of the people Newport would act not in a self-serving way but in the interests of the people of Newport.
Unfortunately with this current lot in Westminster I'm more of the opinion that politicians at any level are corruptible. And those that serve on planning committees are possibly more corruptible than others. I frankly don't trust them.
I agree everyone has the potential to be corrupted. However the corrupt do have a vested interest in trying to convince us that everyone is. Leaving aside party politics there are many people who enter politics because they do want to do good. Whilst I disagree with their politics, but on a national level in the UK people such as Dominic Grieve and Julian Smith strike me as thoroughly decent people. We should be sceptical of all politicians I don't think we should be cynical.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 3:42 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 3:11 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 18th, 2022, 4:37 pm We should not be cynical. One would expect the representatives of the people Newport would act not in a self-serving way but in the interests of the people of Newport.
Unfortunately with this current lot in Westminster I'm more of the opinion that politicians at any level are corruptible. And those that serve on planning committees are possibly more corruptible than others. I frankly don't trust them.
I agree everyone has the potential to be corrupted. However the corrupt do have a vested interest in trying to convince us that everyone is. Leaving aside party politics there are many people who enter politics because they do want to do good. Whilst I disagree with their politics, but on a national level in the UK people such as Dominic Grieve and Julian Smith strike me as thoroughly decent people. We should be sceptical of all politicians I don't think we should be cynical.
Broadly I agree with you, most do intend to act in the public interest and make sensible decisions. The problem we now have is that the acts of our senior politicians poison people’s opinion by cavorting shamelessly in a funfair of corruption, sexual misbehaviour and greed where even the PM and the Metropolitan Police parade their manifest corruption and institutional biases without guilt or comeback. The extent of this is Johnson being at an illegal party where he is judged by investigators to be legally present, even the most cynical couldn’t have predicted that.

So back on topic.

My view is that in the circumstances which now prevail, it may be that the Dragons under threat would preceive it in their interest to make common cause with Newport County with respect to lobbying Newport City Council to purchase Rodney Parade and for both clubs to become oint tenants. Further to which my view is that this should be done publicly. Politics comes into this and publicity builds momentum. And when the Americans tell us you can't beat the big Mo I don't think they are suggesting that we all turn to Mecca.

Thus far I have read two objections. The first being that the club will be discussing this anyway. My view is we don't know what is or isn't being discussed.

The second objection as I've unferstood is thst politicians are not to be trusted and we have been stitched up by Newport City Council in the past or at least their predecessors. Well in life I'm sure we have all hsd our hearts broken. So what, we give up? Be wary perhaps but life goes on.

So if it were my decision and i were chairman of Newport County I would contact the chairman of the Dragons and say it is in our common interest to back an approach by the city council to buy Rodney Parade as it would make both our futures more secure.
I am interested in what others think as to how this idea is inherently flawed or how it could be improved. That's all.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 24th, 2022, 12:04 pm So back on topic.

My view is that in the circumstances which now prevail, it may be that the Dragons under threat would preceive it in their interest to make common cause with Newport County with respect to lobbying Newport City Council to purchase Rodney Parade and for both clubs to become oint tenants. Further to which my view is that this should be done publicly. Politics comes into this and publicity builds momentum. And when the Americans tell us you can't beat the big Mo I don't think they are suggesting that we all turn to Mecca.

Thus far I have read two objections. The first being that the club will be discussing this anyway. My view is we don't know what is or isn't being discussed.

The second objection as I've unferstood is thst politicians are not to be trusted and we have been stitched up by Newport City Council in the past or at least their predecessors. Well in life I'm sure we have all hsd our hearts broken. So what, we give up? Be wary perhaps but life goes on.

So if it were my decision and i were chairman of Newport County I would contact the chairman of the Dragons and say it is in our common interest to back an approach by the city council to buy Rodney Parade as it would make both our futures more secure.
I am interested in what others think as to how this idea is inherently flawed or how it could be improved. That's all.
I don't think I need to repeat what I have already said, which is it is an asumption that the Dragon's are under any threat, that the Council would wish to take on the liabilities that come with Rodney Parade, or even that the WRU wish to sell.

With regard to liabilities, when the Ospreys found out that the main sponsor of the Scarlets had folded, they looked into the possible benefit of merging with them and moving to Llanelli.

Ever since the 8 person pro rugby Committee, 4 regional, 2 WRU, and 2 neutral reps, have mentioned reports with a single option being the Ospreys and or the Dragon's being culled as their opening position. Obviously the region's opening position will be more money needs to be invested as their opening position.

As I say discussion is continuing, but it is an enormous assumption that they will reach the conclusion that the Dragon's will be culled, that the WRU wish to sell or that the Council will take on any liability, particularly with a main stand that will be getting a birthday card from the Queen.

Bangitintrnet wrote: May 24th, 2022, 3:57 pm

I don't think I need to repeat what I have already said, which is it is an asumption that the Dragon's are under any threat, that the Council would wish to take on the liabilities that come with Rodney Parade, or even that the WRU wish to sell.

With regard to liabilities, when the Ospreys found out that the main sponsor of the Scarlets had folded, they looked into the possible benefit of merging with them and moving to Llanelli.

Ever since the 8 person pro rugby Committee, 4 regional, 2 WRU, and 2 neutral reps, have mentioned reports with a single option being the Ospreys and or the Dragon's being culled as their opening position. Obviously the region's opening position will be more money needs to be invested as their opening position.

As I say discussion is continuing, but it is an enormous assumption that they will reach the conclusion that the Dragon's will be culled, that the WRU wish to sell or that the Council will take on any liability, particularly with a main stand that will be getting a birthday card from the Queen.
I am not, I hope, making the assumption that the Dragons are under threat. You may well be right. But let us look at the facts we can be sure of. The WRU have held discussions with respect to cutting the number of Welsh regions to three. We don't know which region if any is under discussion by the WRU to be the region which will be cut. We don't know if any region will be cut. What we do know though is that it is possible that at some future time the Dragons may be cut. It is also highly likely that David Buttress is in a better position to know what the WRU are thinking.

I don't know what David Buttress would say if he were to be approached. But it is to use the snooker term, it's a shot to nothing. Not wishing to embarrass anyone, but reading this thread in full I am confident that David Buttress is not going to take offence at being asked. So notwithstanding your arguments as to why Dragons are not under threat and as a consequence Mr Buttress will rebuff such an advance to me, even if the possibility is remote, what can the harm be of a phone call?

I have said this to so many people, in so many situations. If you don't ask you reject yourself.

As I have commented before, what actual good could it do? It appears that you have sent your letter anyway, so this discussion will not interest many, the majority of which probably couldn't care less.

The thing is timing is everything, and as David Hando knows the Council will hardly be willing to over invest if they see an opportunity not to. Bare in mind that if the other regions form a cartel to oust the Dragon's - which I think is your concern- that the remaining regions still have to find a way of paying back the £20 million owed to the WRU. As well as the recent investments that the WRU have made in the RP infrastructure, and players contracts. That is before discussing investing in the remaining regions.
Finally as others have mentioned, the Council don't actually have the best track record.
So for me at least, you don't have consent for a follow up letter, if that is what you are intending.

Bangitintrnet wrote: May 24th, 2022, 6:23 pm As I have commented before, what actual good could it do? It appears that you have sent your letter anyway, so this discussion will not interest many, the majority of which probably couldn't care less.

The thing is timing is everything, and as David Hando knows the Council will hardly be willing to over invest if they see an opportunity not to. Bare in mind that if the other regions form a cartel to oust the Dragon's - which I think is your concern- that the remaining regions still have to find a way of paying back the £20 million owed to the WRU. As well as the recent investments that the WRU have made in the RP infrastructure, and players contracts. That is before discussing investing in the remaining regions.
Finally as others have mentioned, the Council don't actually have the best track record.
So for me at least, you don't have consent for a follow up letter, if that is what you are intending.
Even if everything you say is true, what harm can it do?

Bangitintrnet wrote: May 24th, 2022, 6:53 pm I think that is the crux of the matter isn't it. You have been reduced to commenting what harm can it do? rather than think what benefits will it bring?

If you ask me it's a very lowly, desperate position. But then because I am the only one commenting, you really need to ask yourself why? if it is such a critical position.
Let me put it another way. What if you are wrong?

As for the interest or otherwise what has that to do with the matter? 2,600 views would suggest there is some interest in any event. But the question remains, if there is no cost and if the potential reward is great, is it not worth a phone call?

Amberexile wrote: May 25th, 2022, 5:58 pm Can anybody on here explain the current contractual relationship regarding use of the ground the ground between WRU, Dragons and County? Also, who made the decision to allow Cardiff rugby to use the stadium the season before last and who received the revenue from that?
I don't believe there is a contractual arrangement as such, because the Dragon's never signed anything to use RP, due to being under the same directors of the then owners - Newport Rugby.
We signed a document that gave priority of fixtures (as required by the FA) with Newport Rugby.
Now I don't believe anything has been signed by the WRU to replace that, or it would likely appear on the land registry website. It's not a legal requirement to have it registered against the title, but it would be usual practice, such as rights of way or equitable easements.
David Buttress indicated in his pod cast that if the Dragon's separated from the WRU, it would be then that they, and the County, would sign a new agreement with whoever owned RP.

The fact that large investments have been made at RP, mainly for County's benefit (as we use the facility 3 times as much) shows that we are needed for RP to be viable. IMO it is that is what matters, and provides security, rather than a signed peice of paper that doesn't give rights provided by an act of Parliament. For confirmation of risk, I would think more of Nevile Chamberlain, than legal bod.