Rare for me but........

After 57 seasons of being a Newport County supporter and having, along with a fair few others suffered down the years it is rarely if ever I feel any sympathy for supporters of other clubs. Camaraderie perhaps but never sympathy.

However whether it be I'm getting soft in my declining years it's hard to say but tonight a little tinge of regret for the supporters of Northampton Town did momentarily pass over me.

Only a little tinge and fleeting but regret nonetheless.

Re: Rare for me but........

Good Morning

Your brief feeling of sympathy is also felt by myself. With my 94 year old mum a big Cobblers fan, and many acquaintances of mine too, I’ve had a kind of shadow existence of their football emotions running parallel with my own and County’s roller coaster. I frequently dip into their forum and comment occasionally and do you know what…. they are just the same as us!
To be so close in that final match, the unbelievable goings on at Bristol….heartbreak in football of an extreme level.
Take a step back and look at the bigger picture and many games in the season where a silly goal, a bad decision cost a point or two, that’s where it really was lost as on the last day they really did enough.

I always am happy for the Cobblers to do well, but as always clouds have silver linings and I will retain my local match for County. Now if only I could walk away from Sixfields with a smile on my face that would be a first!

Phil in Northampton

Football evokes strange emotions in people. From emotional highs to extreme dislike (won’t use the word hate). For me, there appears to be a category that clubs fit into.

1. Long life devotion and there is nothing you can do about it - non rational
2. Secondary affiliation to a club for an unknown reason
3. Admiration of certain clubs in particular geographic location
4. Clubs that, if pushed to answer, say you hope they do well
5. Clubs that appear to have been short changed and they have had a bad deal, you feel sympathy for them
6. Clubs where you have neutral affinity, not bothered at all
7. Clubs that you dislike
8. Clubs that you laugh at if things go wrong for them
9. Clubs like Salford/Cardiff

Not exhaustive list I know, but off the top of my head, those are my categories. For me, Northampton are in category 5.

Edit. Number 9 added. This is just my opinion, others are available. Sorry, but I just do not like Cardiff. Yes, they have loaned us players etc, but………..
Last edited by pembsexile on May 19th, 2022, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Categories?

Popular Welsh accents in Ireland.

3rd St Patrick.

2nd Stan Einstein.

But the runaway winner. The holder of Welsh hero first class in Ireland. The man who if found in bed with the average Irishman's wife would be brought a cup of cocoa by the husband. The man who will be given a free drink in every bar from Cork to Derry. (Although probably not in Ballymena or east Belfast) Who is the paragon whom Irish Mammies hope their sons will grow up to be? Who is this Welshman worshipped as a god in Ireland?

Aaron Ramsey.

Have to be honest here -
1. Long life devotion and there is nothing you can do about it - non rational
Oxford Utd
2. Secondary affiliation to a club for an unknown reason
Newport County & Liverpool
3. Admiration of certain clubs in particular geographic location
Burnley, always punching above their weight.
4. Clubs that, if pushed to answer, say you hope they do well
AFC Wimbledon, Celtic, Newcastle
5. Clubs that appear to have been short changed and they have had a bad deal, you feel sympathy for them
Bury, York, Torquay
6. Clubs where you have neutral affinity, not bothered at all
Sunderland
Bristol City & Rovers
7. Clubs that you dislike
Chelsea
MK Dons
S****horpe
Cardiff
Reading
8. Clubs that you laugh at if things go wrong for them
Swindon, Wycombe