Re: Grandstand: Port Vale v Newport County (Away)

My marks out of ten -

Townsend 7 - Calm, made one good punch, no chance with the goal, kicking mostly good.

Norman 7 - Very solid, good partnership with Clarke.

Clarke 7.5 - Used his experience well and earned his money today.

Dolan 7 - Added calmness to the defence, good corner deliveries, seems to have lost weight?

Pask 7 - Didn’t put a foot wrong, does pass back to the GK a lot.

Azaz 8.5 - Class performance throughout, has a big future ahead of him. Great goal.

Benno 7.5 - Really put in a shift, allowed Azaz to get forward.

Haynes 7.5 - Great first half, two shots, one goal. Wasn’t troubled at all.

Dom - 7.5 - Plays others in really well, only had one shot on goal but is a good team player.

CBR - 6.5 - Battled well at both ends of the pitch but dragged out of position a little by Townsend’s kicks to the touch line.

Cain 6 - Largely anonymous and off the pace / injured, deservedly taken off.

Street - 7.5 Battled well when he came on and won the corner which led to our winner, held the ball up well but looks more of a midfielder than a striker to me.

Lewis 6.5 - Lucky not to get a card for an ugly tangle near the end but slotted in ok and didn’t weaken the side.

Cooper 7 - Defended well and made a brave clearance to prevent Vale getting a draw.

Rowberry - 8.5 - Good, well-timed substitutions and set up the team well, deserved this win. Defence looked solid despite Micky’s absence.

Vale 5 - Must’ve been an off day as I can’t understand how they’re in the play-off spots. Bar Wilson they looked weak. It’s a good job I’m not a single man looking for a date in the Vale area, as their female supporters weren’t easy on the eye!
Last edited by DeePeeNCAFC on May 2nd, 2022, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 5:08 pm My Mark’s out of ten -

Townsend 7 - Calm, made one good punch, no chance with the goal, kicking mostly good.

Dolan 7 - Added calmness to the defence, good corner deliveries, seems to have lost weight?

Azaz 8.5 - Class performance throughout, has a big future ahead of him. Great goal.

Dom - 7.5 - Plays others in really well, only had one shot on goal but is a good team player.

CBR - 6.5 - Battled well at both ends of the pitch but dragged out of position a little by Townsend’s kicks to the touch line.

Street - 7.5 Battled well when he came on and won the corner which led to our winner, held the ball up well but looks more of a midfielder than a striker to me.

Lewis 6.5 - Lucky not to get a card for an ugly tangle near the end but slotted in ok and didn’t weaken the side.

Cooper 7 - Defended well and made a brave clearance to prevent Vale getting a draw.

Rowberry - 8.5 - Good, well-timed substitutions and set up the team well, deserved this win. Defence looked solid despite Micky’s absence.

Vale 5 - Must’ve been an off day as I can’t understand how they’re in the play-off spots. Bar Wilson they looked weak. It’s a good job I’m not a single man looking for a date in the Vale area, as their female supporters weren’t easy on the eye!
Agree with most of your scores, did think Pask was out muscled for their goal, Azaz deserved a 9!

To put all this in context, it’s not that today was exceptional it’s that our run of losses at home was so out of character. It’s a point I keep pressing ad nauseam but it coincided with Rowberry refusing to pick Townsend who is the better all round keeper and better suited to our style of playing it around on the floor. The difference in clearances and his calming influence was obvious today.

KingOfGwent wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 5:13 pm
DeePeeNCAFC wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 5:08 pm Vale 5 - Must’ve been an off day as I can’t understand how they’re in the play-off spots. Bar Wilson they looked weak. It’s a good job I’m not a single man looking for a date in the Vale area, as their female supporters weren’t easy on the eye!
Have you ever actually been to Newport? :grin:
Let's not run the beautiful ladies of Newport down...sons and a few friends had a"stag" do in Swansea. Strange I confess.
Played footgolf by the seaside and watched Ospreys v Scarlets.
At end of day went to kebab cafe (as you do) whilst ordering they noticed a 50 ish yr old lady sitting in the window seat munching away on a kebab with one of her titties hanging out
Just saying like :shock:

County Exile wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 5:44 pm Didn't think the change of keeper affected the result. One good save (which either of them would have saved) but distribution consisted mainly of long punts downfield, including the one where the midfield immediately lost it leading to their goal.

To me the change in mental attitude, I.e lack of tension and belief was the biggest difference today compared to recent home performances. Dare say PV fans will say the same thing about their below par performance today when expectation levels had a negative affect on their team, especially 1st half.
Attitude can often have as important a part to play in results as physical abilities. Perfectly illustrated by our away form. 7 points from our last 4 games compared to nil at home.
Last edited by OLDCROMWELLIAN on May 2nd, 2022, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Much better selection today which gave us balance. Dolan at sweeper gives our keeper more outlets and allows Bennett to have space sitting in, breaking up lay. Worked well against their slow and cart horse strikers. JR did his homework there. Not sure it works so well v pacy forwards but Pask and Clarke were plenty quick enough today. Performance today had nowt to do with choice of keeper. In fact Townsend kicked a few straight into touch. All in all a frustrating reminder of how we played for most of this season. Dodgy selections / formations have cost us since early April.

faerun exile wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 6:00 pm Much better selection today which gave us balance. Dolan at sweeper gives our keeper more outlets and allows Bennett to have space sitting in, breaking up lay. Worked well against their slow and cart horse strikers. JR did his homework there. Not sure it works so well v pacy forwards but Pask and Clarke were plenty quick enough today. Performance today had nowt to do with choice of keeper. In fact Townsend kicked a few straight into touch. All in all a frustrating reminder of how we played for most of this season. Dodgy selections / formations have cost us since early April.
I think the choice of keeper makes all the difference, the defence is assured that a through ball will be intercepted and cleared and that Townsend will come for a ball lofted into the box when required, he also looks much more assured with the ball at his feet. Shotstopping is not the main difference between the two.

Steve_ wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 5:19 pm
DeePeeNCAFC wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 5:08 pm My Mark’s out of ten -

Agree with most of your scores, did think Pask was out muscled for their goal, Azaz deserved a 9!
Agree thought Pask was poor for their goal and looked a bit slow first half still not sure about him.

lowandhard wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 6:07 pm
faerun exile wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 6:00 pm Much better selection today which gave us balance. Dolan at sweeper gives our keeper more outlets and allows Bennett to have space sitting in, breaking up lay. Worked well against their slow and cart horse strikers. JR did his homework there. Not sure it works so well v pacy forwards but Pask and Clarke were plenty quick enough today. Performance today had nowt to do with choice of keeper. In fact Townsend kicked a few straight into touch. All in all a frustrating reminder of how we played for most of this season. Dodgy selections / formations have cost us since early April.
I think the choice of keeper makes all the difference, the defence is assured that a through ball will be intercepted and cleared and that Townsend will come for a ball lofted into the box when required, he also looks much more assured with the ball at his feet. Shotstopping is not the main difference between the two.
Couldnt disagree more. Will have to agree to disagree. Opinions eh. Selection was balanced today. Dolan had time on the ball We played with width - a left footed LWB makes a big difference and he like Norman was able to play in a more advanced role with 3 CBs behind him. Don’t see Haynes being so advanced to score with a flat back 4.

The frustration of supporting this lot.Play ourselves out of promotion then win at PV,you couldn’t make it up.One other moan,when we go forward,we look dangerous and likely to score.Then we score and go negative,Benno goes backwards and passes to them and they score,we score again and Cooper,in their half,goes back and messes up and we just about get away with it,talk about Jekyll and Hyde.Pask with his powder puff challenge for their goal answers the question on do we sign him.That was two moans anyway,too little too late but if only.....

lowandhard wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 6:07 pm

Can’t remember a single ball into the box that Townsend came for today.
He did punch one ball away that was towards him and if that was Day kicking how Townsend did today you’d be having a go at him.