Re: New signing

Crystal Palace Academy striker Rob Street has joined Newport County on loan until the end of the season, subject to league approval and international clearance.

Street, 20, follows teammates James Taylor, Jake O’Brien and Luke Dreher in earning a loan move this month.

He joins Newport having scored six goals from 14 Under-23 games, as the League Two side strive for promotion in third place.

Commenting on the move, Street said: “I’m really excited to test myself in League Two and hopefully help County continue to push for promotion. This is a huge opportunity for me, so I’d like to thank James Rowberry and those at Palace who have given me the chance.”

Welcome to the new lad.
Does this mean that T Abraham is now slipping down the order?
He hasn’t made the starting 11 for sometime since Telford and CBR have been on a roll.
It will be interesting to see how JR will get the most out of him as a loan player.
Not much point in having a loan player just to get splinters.

G Guest wrote: January 26th, 2022, 10:58 pm I'm a bit surpried by this since we seem already have quite a lot of competition for two strikers spots. Who are going to leave out?
Let’s be honest , who challenges Telford and CBR? Don’t get me wrong , I’m not that impressed with the latter but Fisher and Abrahams are hardly pushing hard for a place are they?

G Guest wrote: January 26th, 2022, 10:58 pm I'm a bit surpried by this since we seem already have quite a lot of competition for two strikers spots. Who are going to leave out?
I don't think we have signed him to be fifth choice striker (making Abraham sixth). I expect him to be given an immediate opportunity to play a substitute's role. We saw on Tuesday that we need a 'first reserve' in that position. A raw young lad is a bit of a gamble, but starting a game with CBR and Fisher seems unlikely to be productive. Must say I thought Courtney put in a good shift at Orient. Let's hope he hits the ground running, matches are coming thick and fast.

Frog wrote: January 26th, 2022, 7:23 pm He will be on the bench at best, sorry to seem underwelmed
If, as Rowberry has said, Telford is likely to be missing on Saturday, short of playing say Waite out of position as a striker, our options for a partner to CB-R seem to be 2 players that haven't featured in the squad much at all recently in Ellison and Abraham and 2 who failed to impress greatly in that role last night.

It will be interesting to see which way he goes.

excessbee wrote: January 26th, 2022, 11:55 pm Forgot all about Ellison. I don't suppose he would be an option to start a game, with or without his recent injury. Still can't work out why Abraham hasn't gone back to Fulham, with a view to another half season elsewhere.
perhaps it's a case of nobody wants him, and we're stuck with him.

I was surprised to see Fisher starting Tuesday as Rowberry described Collins as Telford's backup.

Telford - First choice starter
CBR - First choice starter but Rowberry has said he can't play all the time in case of injury. Lots of games in Feb
Fisher - Might drop out of the squad for Street. Haven't seen anything special from him. squad player at best.
Abrahams - Fulham don't want him and I doubt no one wanted him on 1/2 season loan and will be released in the summer.
Ellison - His injuries might be taking longer to heal?
Collins - Still in the squad for me
Street - A different option to Collins on the bench. If he can score 1-2 goals that give us a win or draw. He will be worth the money. No more than Ellison or Collins will do with limited game time for the rest of the season.

With Covid and the risk of injuries, I think we need some backup/competition.