Re: Over to you, Mark

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 12:43 pm

I think that I did need to apologise, as I may have mislead others as well as myself.

Of course it was vaccinations that led to the eradication of smallpox, unfortunately one has yet to be found for malaria.

Given the current high number of cases do you actually believe we are about to enter a phase of the current virus that could be described as endemic?
The WHO consider that it will be pandemic throughout 2022. The UK Government might try to describe it as endemic in this country, which seems illogical.

Amberexile wrote: January 24th, 2022, 12:18 am

I think that I did need to apologise, as I may have mislead others as well as myself.

Of course it was vaccinations that led to the eradication of smallpox, unfortunately one has yet to be found for malaria.

Given the current high number of cases do you actually believe we are about to enter a phase of the current virus that could be described as endemic?
The WHO consider that it will be pandemic throughout 2022. The UK Government might try to describe it as endemic in this country, which seems illogical.
I guess that is all semantics/moot if the 'pandemic' is of a virus that is largely harmless to the vast majority (provided some basic & simple mitigations are in place and that we have vaccines and anti viral drugs of course)

CathedralCounty wrote: January 24th, 2022, 8:20 am

I guess that is all semantics/moot if the 'pandemic' is of a virus that is largely harmless to the vast majority (provided some basic & simple mitigations are in place and that we have vaccines and anti viral drugs of course)
Which is why the Welsh Government are the first to try anti covid drugs, along with basic and simple mitigations.

Bangitintrnet wrote: January 24th, 2022, 8:25 am

Which is why the Welsh Government are the first to try anti covid drugs, along with basic and simple mitigations.
Depends what you call 'basic and simple' but full credit if they are using the drugs

CathedralCounty wrote: January 24th, 2022, 8:35 am

Depends what you call 'basic and simple' but full credit if they are using the drugs
Absolutely depends of what is perceived as 'basic and simple' and the very real probability that the UKs various administrations will perceive it differently. Dare I mention 'fan bans' again.
Of course not all mitigations are imposed by governments. Various companies and businesses may continue to do so.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: January 24th, 2022, 11:18 am
CathedralCounty wrote: January 24th, 2022, 8:35 am

Absolutely depends of what is perceived as 'basic and simple' and the very real probability that the UKs various administrations will perceive it differently. Dare I mention 'fan bans' again.
Of course not all mitigations are imposed by governments. Various companies and businesses may continue to do so.
For me 'basic and simple' is hand hygiene, masks where appropriate (not schools though I'd argue), social distancing where possible and necessary, ventilation (even just opening a few windows!), common sense if you are symptomatic (with any illness that is likely to knock someone vulnerable for six - got a dicky tummy? - don't go out and spread it) – not ‘lockdowns’ and especially not discouragement of outdoor gatherings/activities (far better people outdoors than in) and better alignment with England due to the porous border (not necessarily because I agree with Bozza’s approach but because any major divergence from it becomes unworkable and turns what seemed like a good idea into a bad one) - along with more strategic stuff like vaccines (not vaccine passports because they don't really tell us what we think they do - they are more for show)

All the vaccine passport tells you is who has gone to a big event, not which event. However if you just show a copy of someone else's it does nothing.
The border is the same, you can't close it, so it does nothing. The same people will break any rule, and the same will comply.
Only by closing things that attract lots of people into small spaces can you restrict transmission. New Zealand who have been the most strict about keeping covid out have gone back into lock down, but this time to slow it down, as they except that they can't exclude Omicron. Will be interesting to see if their figure of 10 deaths from Covid rises now. Wales figure is 6000 plus.

Showing a 'vaccination passport' is not recording anything. It is merely allowing the person to proceed as far as the turnstile/entrance. It's a token gesture to persuade those without evidence not to attend. It can never be a secure measure without checking the name against photo ID. Not sure door staff or stewards can, by law, demand that evidence.

excessbee wrote: January 24th, 2022, 1:50 pm Showing a 'vaccination passport' is not recording anything. It is merely allowing the person to proceed as far as the turnstile/entrance. It's a token gesture to persuade those without evidence not to attend. It can never be a secure measure without checking the name against photo ID. Not sure door staff or stewards can, by law, demand that evidence.
Absolutely, by having to set a passport up, you are confirming that you have been, or are planning to go to a big event/or travel.
That then forms a subset in the population, that scientists can use alongside a similar size subset, that also have 2 jabs and booster, but not a covid passport, to see how the two groups differ.