Top 3

I'll go early and see no reason why we can't achieve this but we're going to have to do something close to a "Accrington" with 20 games to go performance.

Their last 20 record was:

Won 15
Drew 2
Lost 3

They went up as champions so something near to the above should get us top 3.

It'll take some doing but we've got nothing to fear in this league.

Re: Top 3

Amberexile wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 2:09 pm Over the past 10 completed seasons, the minimum number of points required to be promoted has ranged from 78 to 85. So far this season is shaping up to be at the lower end of that range,
At present we are on target to get 73 points.

I agree with you about the lower number probably required this season simply because som many clubs are in the mix. Just my view now. I think there is an 80% chance of the play-offs, 10% for both missing out completely and automatic promotion.

While the appearance of a regular goal scorer has boosted our promotion chances this year I donā€™t feel that we have enough for automatic and we all know what a lottery the playoffs are, weā€™ve learned our lessons there in the last couple of years. I say all this because for me yesterday showed why we are ill-equipped to advance. Against a very poor and probably already doomed Scunthorpe, despite there being a dual-carriageway opened up to their goal first half, we failed to score. Indeed if it wasnā€™t for Townsend weā€™d have gained a point only from the game which would have been faintly ridiculous. The fault for me is twofold, firstly our defence isnā€™t as sound as last year and secondly our midfield and fullbacks are just not chipping in with the odd goal as often as is required. Thatā€™s why I think weā€™ll miss out. Iā€™m still astounded by that first half at Scunny notwithstanding a great display from their goalkeeper, we just donā€™t have that ā€œkillerā€ edge.

If it wasnā€™t for the post, their keeper and crossbar weā€™d have been 5-0 up at half time. If ifs and ands were pots and pans etc.

Win, 3pts. Job done.
On another day weā€™d have won that 6/7-0, another day weā€™d have drawn it 1-1. Yesterday, we won.
Last edited by Exile 1976 on January 23rd, 2022, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I would obviously like us to go up automatically than via the bloody play offs. However, it is a tough ask. The one thing that is in our favour is that there is a ā€˜squeezeā€™ for positions at the moment if you ignore FGR and Tranmere. Between 3rd and 8th there is only a four point gap so the positions can and probably will change suddenly.

Another poster stated that we need to do an Accrington. That may be right but what we need to do is go on a winning streak like Mansfield. Five or more wins on the trott would be brilliant. We have two so another three needed. If that happens then we will really be in the mix for an automatic slot. Long way to go yet though.

lowandhard wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 4:41 pm While the appearance of a regular goal scorer has boosted our promotion chances this year I donā€™t feel that we have enough for automatic and we all know what a lottery the playoffs are, weā€™ve learned our lessons there in the last couple of years. I say all this because for me yesterday showed why we are ill-equipped to advance. Against a very poor and probably already doomed Scunthorpe, despite there being a dual-carriageway opened up to their goal first half, we failed to score. Indeed if it wasnā€™t for Townsend weā€™d have gained a point only from the game which would have been faintly ridiculous. The fault for me is twofold, firstly our defence isnā€™t as sound as last year and secondly our midfield and fullbacks are just not chipping in with the odd goal as often as is required. Thatā€™s why I think weā€™ll miss out. Iā€™m still astounded by that first half at Scunny notwithstanding a great display from their goalkeeper, we just donā€™t have that ā€œkillerā€ edge.
In fairness Scunthorpe were set up for a no score draw with 5 at the back, but with the chance of the odd scoring break. A strategy that almost paid off.

I too like everyone else hope that we gain promotion.
We are sitting nicely in 5th spot only 3 points adrift of 3rd place, but we have played more games than most.
Swindon, Mansfield, Exeter, Port Vale and Leyton can all mathematically overtake us and we could easily be in 10th spot.
So it is vitally important to get something out of the away trip to The Oā€™s.

Funny how people see games differently. I thought we played better Saturday than we did in the 4-0 win over Harrogate we certainly had more possession and attempts at goal.

I said at half time I can't see how Scunthorpe can live with us and anything less than 3 points really would've been an injustice.

As I say we won't be far away.

Fu Ming wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 10:49 pm I too like everyone else hope that we gain promotion.
We are sitting nicely in 5th spot only 3 points adrift of 3rd place, but we have played more games than most.
Swindon, Mansfield, Exeter, Port Vale and Leyton can all mathematically overtake us and we could easily be in 10th spot.
So it is vitally important to get something out of the away trip to The Oā€™s.
Agree with your comment 100%, but Saturday's game proved we have the gear but lacked the idea, the reason for this only JR and WH know, hope they can bring it round and correct all the issues on the training ground, tonight's game may be a bit to early if the rumours of injury/covid impact on the squad selection

"have the gear but lack the idea!"

I take it you didn't watch the game Saturday which for me was one of the best performances of the season.

JR and WH have an adaptable plan for each game and tonight will provide a different challenge to the last couple of games.

Genuinely scratching my head at your quote and sometimes wonder what game people are watching.

"have the gear but lack the idea!"

I take it you didn't watch the game Saturday which for me was one of the best performances of the season.

JR and WH have an adaptable plan for each game and tonight will provide a different challenge to the last couple of games.

Genuinely scratching my head at your quote and sometimes wonder what game people are watching.

supporter wrote: January 25th, 2022, 7:00 am "have the gear but lack the idea!"

I thought the same as you you when i read his post. Baffling.