Re: Your pictures of beautiful scenery in your area

Good Evening!

Do monuments count as scenery?
Just over the road and visible from our house, this 13th century cross is one of only three remaining from twelve originally erected by Edward I to commemorate his wife Queen Eleanor. At each of the coffins resting places a cross was built. Ending in London hence “Charing Cross” As she bore him 16 children I think she deserved a memorial of some kind!

Phil in Northampton

phil_in_npton wrote: January 13th, 2022, 7:10 pm Good Evening!

Do monuments count as scenery?
Just over the road and visible from our house, this 13th century cross is one of only three remaining from twelve originally erected by Edward I to commemorate his wife Queen Eleanor. At each of the coffins resting places a cross was built. Ending in London hence “Charing Cross” As she bore him 16 children I think she deserved a memorial of some kind!

Phil in Northampton
I assume none of those children spoke a word of Cymraeg

phil_in_npton wrote: January 14th, 2022, 11:20 pm Good Evening,

My apologies… you are right. Indeed it is!

I’ve just read up a bit and the marriage was very much politically engineered to bring an end to certain hostilities. It got too complicated for me to follow!

Phil in Northampton
Yes indeed, there history was most complicated, and politically engineered.
My oblique reference to the Welsh speaking children was about the legend of bringing his wife to Caernarfon Castle to give birth to their first child on Welsh soil and creating the title of 'Prince of Wales' heir to the throne, who he promised would be born in Wales and not speak a word of English.
Of course his son Edward 2nd eventually came to an alleged most ignominious end, involving a red hot poker and rectum.