Re: Drakeford

That's what i believe too UTP. Mark Drakeford is doing what he feels is best for the people of Wales, making difficult decisions that he knows will be unpopular, whereas Johnson and his fellow corrupt UK Tory Government do things for the benefit of themselves and their mates.

Exile 1976 wrote: January 8th, 2022, 5:44 pm That's what i believe too UTP. Mark Drakeford is doing what he feels is best for the people of Wales, making difficult decisions that he knows will be unpopular, whereas Johnson and his fellow corrupt UK Tory Government do things for the benefit of themselves and their mates.

Says his fellow Russian Marxists and other leftists (Comrade).

Not a Labour Party member or supporter but Drakeford has earned much respect throughout Wales for the integrity of his response to the crisis based on scientific opinion to put the health of the people of Wales first in his considerations. Conversely Mr. Johnson listens to scientific opinion and then puts his self preservation amongst the right wing of his political party as the priority in fashioning his response to the crisis, or lack of it!

Whatever one’s opinion on Welsh Labour’s handling of COVID, it is unarguable that they have a mandate for their approach following May’s election to the Senedd. “Caradog” may not like it, but the Welsh electorate clearly hold the First Minister’s judgement in higher regard than he/she does.

yourfinalanswer wrote: January 8th, 2022, 10:35 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: January 8th, 2022, 5:44 pm That's what i believe too UTP. Mark Drakeford is doing what he feels is best for the people of Wales, making difficult decisions that he knows will be unpopular, whereas Johnson and his fellow corrupt UK Tory Government do things for the benefit of themselves and their mates.

Your apparent paranoia about Marxists where none exist I find truly sad.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: January 9th, 2022, 2:27 pm

That's why I ignored his post, he comes across as a complete fool

Exile 1976 wrote: January 9th, 2022, 5:13 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: January 9th, 2022, 2:27 pm

That's why I ignored his post, he comes across as a complete fool

Remind me again why is that you ignore my posts?

If the Scottish parliament shifts its position when the Six Nations gets closer (first match for Scotland 5th Feb) I wonder if the Welsh assembly would go with them, or wait a week longer before deciding, as Wales' first home fixture isn't until the 12th. I'm thinking that confirmation of a match would need to be made with more than one week's notice. Wishful thinking for there being fans at the Barrow fixture. :wink:

Trouble is (and even allowing for demographics/poverty, etc.) the Welsh approach has seen HIGHER death rates and worse economic outcomes than England - I'm not a fan of Drakeford (but do vote Labour) and think on the fan ban/hospitality, etc he is wrong and grandstanding but at the start of the pandemic yes would have believed he was making decisions for the right reasons - now I'm not so sure as its become more political and points scoring and all the while the Welsh economic, society, sport, social fabric and future taxation/debt is negatively impacted and all without much demonstrable 'success' in context of 'saving lives' given higher % death rate [in Wales]...

CathedralCounty wrote: January 10th, 2022, 8:50 am
Trouble is (and even allowing for demographics/poverty, etc.) the Welsh approach has seen HIGHER death rates and worse economic outcomes than England - I'm not a fan of Drakeford (but do vote Labour) and think on the fan ban/hospitality, etc he is wrong and grandstanding but at the start of the pandemic yes would have believed he was making decisions for the right reasons - now I'm not so sure as its become more political and points scoring and all the while the Welsh economic, society, sport, social fabric and future taxation/debt is negatively impacted and all without much demonstrable 'success' in context of 'saving lives' given higher % death rate [in Wales]...

You honestly believe that Drakeford has made these deeply unpopular decisions that he knows will have an impact on the Welsh economy just to point score? I am not a Labour voter but not even I believe that he’s doing it for any other reason than he believes (rightly or wrongly) it is in the best interest of the people of Wales.

Exile 1976 wrote: January 10th, 2022, 10:25 am
CathedralCounty wrote: January 10th, 2022, 8:50 am

You honestly believe that Drakeford has made these deeply unpopular decisions that he knows will have an impact on the Welsh economy just to point score? I am not a Labour voter but not even I believe that he’s doing it for any other reason than he believes (rightly or wrongly) it is in the best interest of the people of Wales.
I think the initial decision(s) were based on a genuine belief in the ‘science’ and as mentioned at heart (although he does himself no favours) I believe Drakeford is a decent man – but that the science has changed and the way in which the rules have been implemented have proven to be farcical and Drakeford et al won’t now ‘u turn’ in order to save face and further to that yes he/others have criticised and yes ‘point scored’ vs the English administration (Boris Johnson, et al) – so initially no not ‘point scoring’ but to continue with certain rules (which have since proved ineffective and/or scientifically unsound and farcical due to those rules not being in place in England [see 1000’s of football fans from wales going to ‘away’ games or clubbers going to Bristol, etc.]) yes is indeed politicking and points scoring and in some sense downright stubbornness and petulance (and I AM a Labour supporter and deffo no fan of Boris)

Why is it point scoring if as you say, the science says it does not work?
It is Boris that is going for herd immunity and **** the consequences. He did it in the first wave but was forced to change tactics by the effect.
There is a good balanced article in the Wales on line, with two professor's with different opinions. No doubt herd immunity will come in to play but only after we can cope with the peak.
Omicron is much more infectious so one person in close contact with others will be spreading it, and then the ones catching it will be spreading. That is fact, not science, but I except that some people would rather see the systems they rely on collapse for idealistic reasons.

Bangitintrnet wrote: January 10th, 2022, 11:59 am Why is it point scoring if as you say, the science says it does not work?
It is Boris that is going for herd immunity and **** the consequences. He did it in the first wave but was forced to change tactics by the effect.
There is a good balanced article in the Wales on line, with two professor's with different opinions. No doubt herd immunity will come in to play but only after we can cope with the peak.
Omicron is much more infectious so one person in close contact with others will be spreading it, and then the ones catching it will be spreading. That is fact, not science, but I except that people would rather see the systems they rely on in tatters.
The 'Science' has shown us that the hard-line approach to restrictions in Wales has had very little impact on case numbers and arguably does more harm than good - by 'points scoring' I mean the picture now looks like Drakeford is more concerned with slagging off Johnson and boasting about how his approach is the right one than looking behind it and taking a step back to ask 'are these rules still sensible/justified?, do we now look silly in continuing them? does the science actually back these rules up?' …even allowing for the faux scientific ‘modelling’ or when ‘peaks’ will be the picture looks worse in Wales which shows that these draconian measures are having a negligible perhaps even counterproductive effect (encouraging people to gather indoors and in less regulated spaces, encouraging people to travel to England, etc?) – not to mention that omicron is harmless to the vast, vast majority (albeit no doubt unpleasant if you get a symptomatic dose of it) – there is a middle ground between Drakeford’s ‘North Korean’ approach and Johnson’s ‘Texas’ approach but politics means nobody is mature or sensible enough to go with it and we, the Welsh public, suffer the consequences