Sir Tony Blair with a Garter

Well, ladies and gentlemen......what say you?

I live in a blue neck of the woods and am aware near the Usk may be of a different hue.
Politically I'm a"floater" ( cut the silly joke) ,.
However for someone who's been absent for a while .imparting his knowledge for lots of money I presume...Why has he poked his nose into this and that lately?
I signed the change.org to have him stripped of Sir...
Anyone for debate?

Re: Sir Tony Blair with a Garter

mad norm wrote: January 6th, 2022, 1:17 pm Well, ladies and gentlemen......what say you?

I live in a blue neck of the woods and am aware near the Usk may be of a different hue.
Politically I'm a"floater" ( cut the silly joke) ,.
However for someone who's been absent for a while .imparting his knowledge for lots of money I presume...Why has he poked his nose into this and that lately?
I signed the change.org to have him stripped of Sir...
Anyone for debate?
Whatever ones politics or that of the recipient its just protocol for ex PM's to get knighthoods/damehoods – it’s a case of ‘pah who cares’ from me – plenty of complete and utter shysters have had and still have knighthoods and damehoods far worse/less deserving people than ‘Tone

Yes, it’s easy to forget that Blair was probably the best post-war PM this country has had. His government reinvested in the NHS, moved the social care sector into the modern age, employment was relatively high and the country perked up.

His big mistake (understatement of the year) was the Iraq decision but let’s not forget the whole of Parliament (including the stories) voted the motion to invade through, the flawed intelligence was scrutinised in advance by a cross-party group, plus the US also voted to join the invasion. It’s easy to pin a very poor decision on one man but the review did reveal how many others were fooled by the same incorrect intelligence.

And I think that a knighthood/dame hood is given to every PM who lives longer than a year after stepping down from politics so it’s no surprise he’s been nominated. Plus he was nominated by the current PM.

Love him or loathe him, Tony Blair saved the Labour Party from political oblivion. Yes, he made a catastrophic mistake over Iraq. However, one mistake over the other things he got right.

It is normal business for previous PM’s to be offered a Knighthood. Personally, I couldn’t give a stuff. So bloody what. There are far worse political scandals going on at the moment for this story to be given air time.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: January 6th, 2022, 6:53 pm Yes, it’s easy to forget that Blair was probably the best post-war PM this country has had. His government reinvested in the NHS, moved the social care sector into the modern age, employment was relatively high and the country perked up.

His big mistake (understatement of the year) was the Iraq decision but let’s not forget the whole of Parliament (including the stories) voted the motion to invade through, the flawed intelligence was scrutinised in advance by a cross-party group, plus the US also voted to join the invasion. It’s easy to pin a very poor decision on one man but the review did reveal how many others were fooled by the same incorrect intelligence.

And I think that a knighthood/dame hood is given to every PM who lives longer than a year after stepping down from politics so it’s no surprise he’s been nominated. Plus he was nominated by the current PM.

Did you know that there was a secret meeting between Tony Blair and the American President at the time? You can't tell me that they didn't know what was going on at the time (they knew the truth alright).

Look at when he tried to interfere with Brexit. But Nigel Farage called him out. He tried to stop the UK from leaving The European Union but failed. Who is going to believe anything that comes out of his mouth?

[/quote]

Did you know that there was a secret meeting between Tony Blair and the American President at the time? You can't tell me that they didn't know what was going on at the time (they knew the truth alright).

Look at when he tried to interfere with Brexit. But Nigel Farage called him out. He tried to stop the UK from leaving The European Union but failed. Who is going to believe anything that comes out of his mouth?
[/quote]

You may be right, maybe not. It still doesn’t change that, on the whole, Blair did some undeniably good things for the UK, our people and our standard of living. The Tories and Coalition governments then proceeded to strip away some of the benefit improvements, the increased staffing at and budget for the NHS and created their own agendas based on low taxes and interest rates at the expense of proper public spending.

And the worse thing this government has done? They knew about an ongoing pan-government, NHS & industry review into how we could cope with a theoretical pandemic, implemented by the previous government. This review included an exercise looking into what would happen if something like bird flu got out of control and entered the human chain and wreaked havoc, it highlighted huge deficiencies incl. a wholly understaffed NHS, a lack of PPE and oxygen machines and made a series of strong recommendations. All the Tories did was buy c.1M face masks, which were later handed hurriedly to China when Covid started and ignored all the other recommendations. Scandalous and hopefully will form part of the independent review into the handling of the pandemic.

It was an era, after years of Tory malpractice, it was fresh air. We're here again, with u-turn Johnson.

'97 was a moment. Lasted till the Iraq war, but for many born in poverty it was a moment of aspiration equivalent to Thatchers yuppies. Browns tax credits to Blairs rhetoric bore a lot of new start-ups from the kids of miners.

The poor got rich, don't think there's a comparable time. Even under thatch.