Re: Covid

Just done a bits and bobs shop in supermarket noticed someone back on door enforcing the mask wearing which is good but then you walk round store and people just warming their chins with them or pulled down from the nose so totally useless , Then you got those that have brought a I'm exempt badge on line 🤬

UPTHEPORT wrote: December 21st, 2021, 1:03 pm What I have noticed of late in work is D&V is back during the first and second wave it disappeared all together

Because people where washing hands
I'm going to ask the question everybody else will wonder, are you personally washing your colleagues hands at work or not?

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: December 21st, 2021, 1:05 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: December 21st, 2021, 11:11 am In every human activity there is always an element of risk. We are all, in my view, entitled to evaluate that risk for ourselves and act accordingly. It therefore follows if I am prepared to take the risk to my health of drinking a bottle of whiskey every day I should be allowed to do so. However I then have to give up my 'right' to drive a car.
However even sober when driving a car I might make a mistake and kill someone. Which is why this topic keeps going around in circles. The points being made are all valid but meaningless. You see I have no doubt that in the time prior to Covid people were infected with flu at football matches and subsequently died.
There are actually two questions which therefore need to be answered.
The first of which I have repeatedly asked and only Bangitinthenet has answered. How many people are you prepared to see die before you are prepared to give up some of your freedoms? Bangitinthenet gives a figure of 20,000. If you agree with that figure and accept that the annual death toll because of Covid in the UK seem to be about 100,000 then clearly with deaths running five fold above the 20,000 figure, restrictions are in order.
The second question not yet posed by Omicron but perhaps valid as further variants occur, is should a society 'shut down' when the threat is known but the severity of the threat is not? Let's face it governments are going to look pretty silly if society is shut down because a lot of people have a touch of the sniffles. Then again not as silly as if they don't shutbdown and bodies really are piled high in the streets.
There may not be any right answers but at least we should try to ask the right questions?
Agree that there are 2 questions that need answering/resolving.
With regards to the acceptable annual fatality rate for covid I would be in agreement with bangitinthenet's circa 20,000 if it meant the number of 'flu fatalities are suppressed to the very low levels they are currently. In relation to the restrictions required if the figures are many times higher, believe the subsidiary question that will require answering is. Should those restrictions be targeted more severely at the unvaccinated? Another question I expect polititions will avoid answering.

As for your 2nd question I'm very much in favour of a 'shutdown' if the threat is known but the severity is not, as the potential benefits outweigh any embarrassment of looking silly if those 'shutdown' measures prove to have been unnecessary or too severe.
Only a personal view. Those that choose to remain unvaccinated are entitled so to do. However on the same principle as we prevent people who have drink taken from driving, likewise the unvaccinated should be prevented from attending public social events whilst the pandemic has hold.

This is a curtailment of liberty but in my view, for the duration of this emergency, proportionate.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: December 21st, 2021, 11:11 am In every human activity there is always an element of risk. We are all, in my view, entitled to evaluate that risk for ourselves and act accordingly. It therefore follows if I am prepared to take the risk to my health of drinking a bottle of whiskey every day I should be allowed to do so. However I then have to give up my 'right' to drive a car.
However even sober when driving a car I might make a mistake and kill someone. Which is why this topic keeps going around in circles. The points being made are all valid but meaningless. You see I have no doubt that in the time prior to Covid people were infected with flu at football matches and subsequently died.
The first of which I have repeatedly asked and only Bangitinthenet has answered. How many people are you prepared to see die before you are prepared to give up some of your freedoms? Bangitinthenet gives a figure of 20,000. If you agree with that figure and accept that the annual death toll because of Covid in the UK seem to be about 100,000 then clearly with deaths running five fold above the 20,000 figure, restrictions are in order.
The second question not yet posed by Omicron but perhaps valid as further variants occur, is should a society 'shut down' when the threat is known but the severity of the threat is not? Let's face it governments are going to look pretty silly if society is shut down because a lot of people have a touch of the sniffles. Then again not as silly as if they don't shutbdown and bodies really are piled high in the streets.
There may not be any right answers but at least we should try to ask the right questions?
Brendan, you are asking a question that no one can really give a proper answer for. Any politician that quoted a number of ‘acceptable’ Covid deaths would probably be hounded out of office. It is not a question that can be answered in the present. It only becomes an issue afterwards. Politicians are probably talking about it in private but obviously not publicly.

We come back to the old chestnut of WW2. In that War the UK had 450,000 deaths. This was over a six year (nearly) period. No one at the time complained about civil liberties being eroded. There may have been the odd protest but nothing major and certainly nothing that the Government couldn’t handle.

There are three ways that the government currently uses to inform the public of the UK Covid deaths. If you take the approximation of the three methods of calculation, the UK Covid death rate is currently at 150,000 over a 21 month period, maybe more. If Covid carries on for the next four years, will we have the same number of deaths in the UK that we had in WW2? What will be the fallout of that?

Politicians work in the here and now. The numbers game is for the media and discussion afterwards. I wonder which politician will fall on his/her sword and quote an ‘acceptable’ death number. None, I reckon. I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for an answer to your question.

There is a school of thought that those who are unvaccinated should be locked down and not allowed into matches, pubs etc while those of us who have received our jabs should be allowed to carry on as usual.

I agreed with this view until recently when a couple of events changed my mind. Firstly, I caught Covid after 2 jabs (I’ve had the booster since), then my mate (who has had 3 jabs) caught Covid and passed it onto his family. None of us suffered anything more than really mild symptoms whereas perhaps those not vaccinated might have been worse.

My point here is - the actual benefits of a lockdown are diminishing because so few people would actually listen to the government advice and adhere to it (not surprising given the behaviour of certain government officials over the last year or so). And if those of us who are fully vaccinated can catch and spread the disease, the key risk is to the vulnerable with underlying health issues and to the unvaccinated.

To stifle this virus properly would take a really strict 2 week lockdown, enforced by the police & army, where people only stay in their family bubbles, all shops are shut, no one leaves their home except for limited outdoor exercise. But even then, key workers would still need to go into work, folk would need groceries etc so we’ll never achieve this.

pembsexile wrote: December 21st, 2021, 3:33 pm
Brendan, you are asking a question that no one can really give a proper answer for. Any politician that quoted a number of ‘acceptable’ Covid deaths would probably be hounded out of office. It is not a question that can be answered in the present. It only becomes an issue afterwards. Politicians are probably talking about it in private but obviously not publicly.

We come back to the old chestnut of WW2. In that War the UK had 450,000 deaths. This was over a six year (nearly) period. No one at the time complained about civil liberties being eroded. There may have been the odd protest but nothing major and certainly nothing that the Government couldn’t handle.

There are three ways that the government currently uses to inform the public of the UK Covid deaths. If you take the approximation of the three methods of calculation, the UK Covid death rate is currently at 150,000 over a 21 month period, maybe more. If Covid carries on for the next four years, will we have the same number of deaths in the UK that we had in WW2? What will be the fallout of that?

Politicians work in the here and now. The numbers game is for the media and discussion afterwards. I wonder which politician will fall on his/her sword and quote an ‘acceptable’ death number. None, I reckon. I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for an answer to your question.
Hi Mike,
I'm not sure I agree. Looking at your WW2 analogy I think is useful. Churchill knowing that Coventry was about to be eviscerated had to make the decision as to whether to evacuate the city before the Luftwaffe came. However to have done so would have alerted Berlin to the fact that the Enigma code machine had been broken. He chose to allow the bombing to do it's worst.
Now it may well be that politicians cannot openly discuss these decisions but they are nonetheless made. Now of course on this board we are not going to make any difference to what decision is made. However we can discuss these things. My view is that if people wish to discuss the rights and wrong of measures, they should make reasoned analysis.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: December 21st, 2021, 3:04 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: December 21st, 2021, 1:05 pm
Agree that there are 2 questions that need answering/resolving.
With regards to the acceptable annual fatality rate for covid I would be in agreement with bangitinthenet's circa 20,000 if it meant the number of 'flu fatalities are suppressed to the very low levels they are currently. In relation to the restrictions required if the figures are many times higher, believe the subsidiary question that will require answering is. Should those restrictions be targeted more severely at the unvaccinated? Another question I expect polititions will avoid answering.

As for your 2nd question I'm very much in favour of a 'shutdown' if the threat is known but the severity is not, as the potential benefits outweigh any embarrassment of looking silly if those 'shutdown' measures prove to have been unnecessary or too severe.
Only a personal view. Those that choose to remain unvaccinated are entitled so to do. However on the same principle as we prevent people who have drink taken from driving, likewise the unvaccinated should be prevented from attending public social events whilst the pandemic has hold.

This is a curtailment of liberty but in my view, for the duration of this emergency, proportionate.

Agree with you on this

I really don't understand this anti-mask wearing mentality, unless you genuinely have breathing difficulties.
It is not a particularly onerous thing to do for 20mins in a shop or bus.
I don't see people complaining when working or visiting an industrial site when asked to wear toeteckters, goggles, high viz jackets etc, so what is so difficult about wearing a mask?
Treat all those non mask wearers (unless genuinely exempt) the same as someone who doesn't wear PPE on site, ie kick them off site, or refuse them entry into the shop.
After being refused admission they will soon get the message.

Fu Ming wrote: December 21st, 2021, 4:18 pm I really don't understand this anti-mask wearing mentality, unless you genuinely have breathing difficulties.
It is not a particularly onerous thing to do for 20mins in a shop or bus.
I don't see people complaining when working or visiting an industrial site when asked to wear toeteckters, goggles, high viz jackets etc, so what is so difficult about wearing a mask?
Treat all those non mask wearers (unless genuinely exempt) the same as someone who doesn't wear PPE on site, ie kick them off site, or refuse them entry into the shop.
After being refused admission they will soon get the message.
[/quote

In agreement with you on this. I understand there are those that don't believe the masks have any/ or very little benefits. I look at it the other way and say I'm certain wearing one cannot make the situation worse, therefore anyone with a social conscience should do so. As for the self-proclaimed exempt, aka bullshitters, I'm not aware of anyone who actually has an exemption certified by a medical professional.I will of course defer to anyone who has.

Well, either Drakeford has played a blinder or he will end up with egg on his face. I suppose my disappointment with the behind closed doors ruling was somewhat tempered by the FGR match being already postponed. The best outcome for the club might be a Covid postponement of one or both of the next two home matches (Salford and Harrogate) followed by a lowering of the Covid threat. I'm still not convinced the EFL are in the driving seat with the 14 player ruling. I think it's a bit like It's a Knockout (without Stuart Hall obviously) where each team has a Covid (joker) to play. Once played, (postponement called) you can't do it again because your squad should mostly be virus free. If we play ours on Friday 7th our two home postponements may avoid being behind closed doors if normal service is resumed quickly. Lots of ifs and buts, I'm trying to stay positive.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: December 21st, 2021, 3:36 pm There is a school of thought that those who are unvaccinated should be locked down and not allowed into matches, pubs etc while those of us who have received our jabs should be allowed to carry on as usual.

I agreed with this view until recently when a couple of events changed my mind. Firstly, I caught Covid after 2 jabs (I’ve had the booster since), then my mate (who has had 3 jabs) caught Covid and passed it onto his family. None of us suffered anything more than really mild symptoms whereas perhaps those not vaccinated might have been worse.

My point here is - the actual benefits of a lockdown are diminishing because so few people would actually listen to the government advice and adhere to it (not surprising given the behaviour of certain government officials over the last year or so). And if those of us who are fully vaccinated can catch and spread the disease, the key risk is to the vulnerable with underlying health issues and to the unvaccinated.

To stifle this virus properly would take a really strict 2 week lockdown, enforced by the police & army, where people only stay in their family bubbles, all shops are shut, no one leaves their home except for limited outdoor exercise. But even then, key workers would still need to go into work, folk would need groceries etc so we’ll never achieve this.

I can empathise with most of what you said but would stress 1 crucial point.
The main aim of targeting restrictions on the unvaccinated would be to incentivise them to get the jab. Reading reports from France in particular, also Italy and the USA it has increased their numbers of vaccinated markedly, especially in relation to mandate the jab to certain jobs. As apparently up to 90% of those in hospital requiring the most intensive treatment are unvaccinated or not double vaccinated believe it is governments obligation to do everything possible to reduce those figures; thus preventing the possibility of running out of bedspace for anyone requiring intensive treatment.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: December 21st, 2021, 5:19 pm I can empathise with most of what you said but would stress 1 crucial point.
The main aim of targeting restrictions on the unvaccinated would be to incentivise them to get the jab. Reading reports from France in particular, also Italy and the USA it has increased their numbers of vaccinated markedly, especially in relation to mandate the jab to certain jobs. As apparently up to 90% of those in hospital requiring the most intensive treatment are unvaccinated or not double vaccinated believe it is governments obligation to do everything possible to reduce those figures; thus preventing the possibility of running out of bedspace for anyone requiring intensive treatment.
Exactly. It would seem that the vast majority of those in hospital under the ICU banner and sucking up beds and finance are those who haven't been vaccinated.
So you've got to ask yourselves, is it fair that whilst they play the civil liberties ticket that they are ones that the rest of us are suffering because of?
Clearly we can't go down the route of compulsory vaccination because the Courts would be clogged up arguing the rights and wrongs of that, but incentives might just focus their minds. If you can't prove you've joined in with the vast majority of the population, then you can royally f-off with being allowed anywhere near where crowds gather and that includes public transport, shops, events etc. Then perhaps they might get the message that the greater good of the majority is more important than the rights of the minority

County-at-the-races wrote: December 21st, 2021, 5:36 pm If you can't prove you've joined in with the vast majority of the population, then you can royally f-off with being allowed anywhere near where crowds gather and that includes public transport, shops, events etc. Then perhaps they might get the message that the greater good of the majority is more important than the rights of the minority
Form a posse, hang em' high, yee haaa