Re: GRAMMAR

Sadly my grammar passed away several years ago, but she did outlive my Grandpa!

Yes, I agree Mad Norm - I am a pedant and get riled when I see and hear lazy language and spelling. The examples you’ve quoted really make my blood boil. But the English language can be odd sometimes - although grammatically correct, I find it hard to say “an hotel”, or “an hostess “ and would rather just use ‘a’ not ‘an’. Whatever next? We’ll be referring to “an diamond” next! (Think about it!) :)

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: December 19th, 2021, 7:05 pm Sadly my grammar passed away several years ago, but she did outlive my Grandpa!

Yes, I agree Mad Norm - I am a pedant and get riled when I see and hear lazy language and spelling. The examples you’ve quoted really make my blood boil. But the English language can be odd sometimes - although grammatically correct, I find it hard to say “an hotel”, or “an hostess “ and would rather just use ‘a’ not ‘an’. Whatever next? We’ll be referring to “an diamond” next! (Think about it!) :)
:lol: like the Anne Diamond pun.
Oddly I find it more difficult not pronouncing a 'an' immediately before a word starting with an aitch or vowel.
The bad grammar that grates with me is the use of learn instead of teach e.g. 'That will learn him'; and borrow instead of lend. e.g. 'borrow me your pen'. Although it is probably a Welsh trait given that the Welsh language has the same word for learn and teach; also the same word for borrow and lend.

I think my biggest bugbear is folk who misuse ‘their’, ‘there’ and ‘they’re’. Close behind them in the Top Ten Tits chart is anyone who continually uses the words ‘literally’ or ‘like’ (“and he was, like, really angry “). Next in the list is anyone who incorrectly adds an apostrophe to indicate possession rather than plural e.g. “he sells car’s”.

Grrrr.

‘Could of/would of/should of’ winds me up too, but the most irritating is ‘loosing’ instead of ‘losing’. Also, working in the hospitality industry, customers will often say ‘can I get …’, which as they don’t know where things are, is impossible. It’s ‘can I have!!!’, but I’m fighting a losing battle with that particular irritant.

Dogger wrote: December 20th, 2021, 9:07 am ‘Could of/would of/should of’ winds me up too, but the most irritating is ‘loosing’ instead of ‘losing’. Also, working in the hospitality industry, customers will often say ‘can I get …’, which as they don’t know where things are, is impossible. It’s ‘can I have!!!’, but I’m fighting a losing battle with that particular irritant.
Yes,yes,yes!!!
Can l get? Awful! I suspect it's an import fro. Uncle Sam
I used to be Head bar/cellarman in Penventon Redruth.....Yes Sir? Pint of Lager.What about it? Ey? Please would be nice!!!!

Dogger wrote: December 20th, 2021, 9:07 am ‘Could of/would of/should of’ winds me up too, but the most irritating is ‘loosing’ instead of ‘losing’. Also, working in the hospitality industry, customers will often say ‘can I get …’, which as they don’t know where things are, is impossible. It’s ‘can I have!!!’, but I’m fighting a losing battle with that particular irritant.
Or should it be 'may I have'?

Twelve items or less, it should be twelve items or fewer. Disinterested has an entirety different meaning to uninterested. Both of which wind me up. But.
I make grammatical errors. As does everybody. This is a message board not the English Department of Oxford University. Those of us being critical of the usage of 'of' when it should have been 'have' are perhaps a tad sanctimonious?

Good Morning!

I agree with all the above, however the best policy has to be , observe but remain silent!
By its nature a football forum will attract followers of football from all across the educational spectrum.
We are hear to examine peoples ideas and viewpoints not judge their English language ability.
I’ve mentioned this before, years ago in my daughters football club, each age group manager was required to send parents a weekly newsletter with match information etc.
One young coach was constantly ridiculed by parents for his poor spelling. It upset him so much he packed it in, leaving the girls without a coach. No other parent then stepped up to take over but they complained to the club about being without a manager!
In a professional situation it’s different, journalist’s and broadcasters should not make these grammatical errors nor anybody in a business appointed to issue public statements etc.

Phil in Northampton

Oh, and just take a minute to re-read your typed output. Many errors are simply typos caused by fit fingers!

phil_in_npton wrote: December 22nd, 2021, 5:12 am Good Morning!

I agree with all the above, however the best policy has to be , observe but remain silent!
By its nature a football forum will attract followers of football from all across the educational spectrum.
We are hear to examine peoples ideas and viewpoints not judge their English language ability.
I’ve mentioned this before, years ago in my daughters football club, each age group manager was required to send parents a weekly newsletter with match information etc.
One young coach was constantly ridiculed by parents for his poor spelling. It upset him so much he packed it in, leaving the girls without a coach. No other parent then stepped up to take over but they complained to the club about being without a manager!
In a professional situation it’s different, journalist’s and broadcasters should not make these grammatical errors nor anybody in a business appointed to issue public statements etc.

Phil in Northampton

Oh, and just take a minute to re-read your typed output. Many errors are simply typos caused by fit fingers!
Hear, hear, (sic) Phil. Sorry mate, couldn’t resist that one😉.