weareexiles.net - Voice of Newport County fans since 2005!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Wales mens squad for June friendlies Empty Wales mens squad for June friendlies

Thu May 30, 2024 8:37 pm
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exciting-liverpool-leeds-united-youngsters-29256465

Any thoughts?

Goalkeeping situation continues to be a problem with none of the three selected getting game-time. I think it was two appearances last season between all four GK's that have figured for Wales in the last three years. Perhaps Tom King may figure in some of the two games to give Page an indication of whether he may be an option going forward.

Good to see Koumas, Crew and Fin Stevens selected. Good time to see them at this level. They are likely to be part of the future.
Amberexile
Amberexile

Wales mens squad for June friendlies Empty Re: Wales mens squad for June friendlies

Fri May 31, 2024 9:28 am
Great to see some new youngsters in the squad, Gibraltar is a good opportunity for Page to look at some new players. Slovakia needs to be a proper warm up for the Nations League matches starting in September so a shame that so many first 11 players are out injured or looking for a new contract. Concerned about how bad Brooks injury is and whether he will need surgery on his shoulder.

Koumas looks a real talent. He may need to go out on loan to get the experience he needs although I can see him staying at Liverpool in the hope of breaking through until the January window at least.

TheHappyCrapper likes this post

DT1892

Wales mens squad for June friendlies Empty Re: Wales mens squad for June friendlies

Fri May 31, 2024 5:36 pm
Good to see some of the young lads given a chance. Although, I'm surprised he hasn't brought Aaron Collins into the squad, especially as it's only two friendly games. Ended the season in great form for Bolton and is unlucky not to be playing in the Championship next season. I would've kept the likes of Dan James and Kieffer at home and brought the likes of Collins and Mark Harris into the squad.

No Luke Harris is an odd one though. He's supposed to be one of our best talents, taken all over Europe with the qualifiers but still no game time and he ended the season well with Exeter, unless he's injured of course.
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Fri May 31, 2024 11:42 pm
DT1892 wrote:Good to see some of the young lads given a chance. Although, I'm surprised he hasn't brought Aaron Collins into the squad, especially as it's only two friendly games. Ended the season in great form for Bolton and is unlucky not to be playing in the Championship next season. I would've kept the likes of Dan James and Kieffer at home and brought the likes of Collins and Mark Harris into the squad.

No Luke Harris is an odd one though. He's supposed to be one of our best talents, taken all over Europe with the qualifiers but still no game time and he ended the season well with Exeter, unless he's injured of course.

I do wonder whether they're going to drop Luke Harris down to the U21's again. Page did that with Rubin Colwill and says he thinks Colwill benefitted from it. Luke Harris is only 19, so he has time on his side. I suspect Fulham will look to loan him to Championship side next season...
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:20 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c511g4pp9vzo

I see Josh Sheehan will be captaining Wales in an international friendly v Gibraltar.

Anyone know if an ex-County player has ever captained Wales before? If so when was the last?
Ugo.

Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:48 am
wattsville_boy wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c511g4pp9vzo

I see Josh Sheehan will be captaining Wales in an international friendly v Gibraltar.

Anyone know if an ex-County player has ever captained Wales before?  If so when was the last?

Joe Ledley (3x) and Jason Bowen (1x) both captained Wales before playing for County. I think Sheehan is the first to captain Wales after playing for County. Unless I've missed someone in the list below.

Reference

https://eu-football.info/_players.php
DT1892

Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:16 pm
I know it was a friendly and we played with a lot of inexperience in the side. But I'd sack him after that. Probably the worst result we've ever had.
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:27 pm
It wasn't great. Thought Crew and Koumas looked bright when they came on, and it was good to see King get a cap after being left on the bench for ages. But one of those ones where you move to the next one...
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum