Re: Bogle racism

G Guest wrote: February 29th, 2024, 2:33 pm What are football banning orders for if not for cases like this? There seems to have been misplaced sympathy for the culprit by the magistrates. Even if he is a simpleton, he should not be allowed to behave like he did.
He has learning difficulties. Which means his mental development is arrested. He is not being allowed do behave has he did, he has been punished. Misplaced sympathy? I don't think so.

G Guest wrote: February 29th, 2024, 7:45 pm So what is to stop him doing the same thing next week at another football game?
What do you suggest? Maybe if we had him shot? North London Exile said Ireland was a cesspit. That didn't seem to worry you George, and let's face it that particular 'gentleman' doesn't have an intellectual disability.

I'm not suggesting that what that young man did at Gillingham wasn't wrong, and I'm not suggesting there shouldn't have been a consequence. But I think 40 hours community service is enough.

wattsville_boy wrote: February 29th, 2024, 8:19 pm I think he should have met with Bogle and apologised in person. An easy way to face up to the consequences of your actions...
I agree. It's called restorative justice and it should be used far more often. Few people are evil. If those who do bad things saw the effect their behaviour has on a real person they tend to learn in a way that punishment alone seldom achieves.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 29th, 2024, 9:25 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: February 29th, 2024, 8:19 pm I think he should have met with Bogle and apologised in person. An easy way to face up to the consequences of your actions...
I agree. It's called restorative justice and it should be used far more often. Few people are evil. If those who do bad things saw the effect their behaviour has on a real person they tend to learn in a way that punishment alone seldom achieves.
I couldn't think of the term, so thanks for that. The other thing that occurs to me is that I wonder whether the actions he took may have been influenced by the people he attended the match with, or those he associated with prior to the match.

Although society has come a long way since I was a boy (I'm 60) with normalising associations or relationships with people different to you, the way sections of society uses language still has some way to go. There remains toxicity in the descriptions of African and Asian races by sections of the political spectrum, the way men talk to other men about women and terms used to describe gay or trans people. It is incumbent on us all to challenge people when they use derogatory terms, not to normalise these behaviours...

Totally agree. The guy's admitted his guilt and presumably remorseful so go and apologise in person to Bungle. On top of which let's not forget the Gills have banned him for life so he has to live with that.

Crazy frog wrote: February 29th, 2024, 1:09 pm Caught Omar interview on sky sports last,then seen Gillingham supporter been told to pay compensation and been banned from football for a year.what a joke 🤬
I feel that is a proportionate if a little harsh sanction tbh - the person in question clearly has vulnerabilities - not an excuse but definitely a context - I don't believe Bogle has been scarred for life by it and it was a rare and sad incident but it hasn't sparked a wave of racism across the Medway towns. Football and Bogle has far bigger issues to deal with than a regrettable but rare incidence of racism.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 5th, 2024, 7:29 am
Crazy frog wrote: February 29th, 2024, 1:09 pm Caught Omar interview on sky sports last,then seen Gillingham supporter been told to pay compensation and been banned from football for a year.what a joke 🤬
I feel that is a proportionate if a little harsh sanction tbh - the person in question clearly has vulnerabilities - not an excuse but definitely a context - I don't believe Bogle has been scarred for life by it and it was a rare and sad incident but it hasn't sparked a wave of racism across the Medway towns. Football and Bogle has far bigger issues to deal with than a regrettable but rare incidence of racism.

Gillingham had already been fined the month before this incident for their fans racist and sexist chanting in three separate matches the previous season.

Exile 1976 wrote: March 5th, 2024, 10:38 am
CathedralCounty wrote: March 5th, 2024, 7:29 am

Gillingham had already been fined the month before this incident for their fans racist and sexist chanting in three separate matches the previous season.
I'm always quite cynical about reporting around these alleged/actual 'ist' chants at football grounds as the bar is set very low and the net cast very wide for what constitutes an 'ist' chant within football grounds - I'm not excusing or condoning unambiguous 'ism' but we all know football fans are held to a far higher standard than any other community in any other setting.