Graham Coughlan

Im pleased to say I liked the man immediately! As soon as he arrived the team was injected with a good dose of pragmatism to counteract the „ 100 passes in your own penalty area „ disease which even the best teams seem to screw up occasionally.
Despite all the injuries and bargain basement recruitment he has fashioned a competitive team and one good enough to threaten the playoffs and frighten Manchester United.
I hope Huw Jenkins has the good sense to give Graham Coughlan a lengthy contract because this man is a proper football manager - not to mention a decent man who knows the game inside out, back to front and sideways. Hang on to him!

Re: Graham Coughlan

lowandhard wrote: February 28th, 2024, 2:21 pm Im pleased to say I liked the man immediately! As soon as he arrived the team was injected with a good dose of pragmatism to counteract the „ 100 passes in your own penalty area „ disease which even the best teams seem to screw up occasionally.
Despite all the injuries and bargain basement recruitment he has fashioned a competitive team and one good enough to threaten the playoffs and frighten Manchester United.
I hope Huw Jenkins has the good sense to give Graham Coughlan a lengthy contract because this man is a proper football manager - not to mention a decent man who knows the game inside out, back to front and sideways. Hang on to him!
I agree.

Coughlan has undoubtedly achieved far more than I expected. My view at the beginning of the season was that he should be lauded simply for keeping us up. As it is he has somehow contrived to make us a competitive outfit, notwithstanding bargain basement buys and an autumnal injury list reminiscent of the first day of the Somme.

I still think we won't go up, but to be in the mix at the beginning of March means that this season has surpassed what any of us can have reasonably expected.

lowandhard wrote: February 28th, 2024, 2:21 pm Im pleased to say I liked the man immediately! As soon as he arrived the team was injected with a good dose of pragmatism to counteract the „ 100 passes in your own penalty area „ disease which even the best teams seem to screw up occasionally.
Whilst I agree with your praise of GC, I suspect HJ may be a little cautious and re-assess the managers contract come Dec 2024 before planning for the Jan transfer window, if he's liking what he sees at that stage. Success or otherwise of close season recruitment will obviously play a part.
Accepting, of course, the obvious danger of another club with deeper pockets nearer his family home in Yorkshire coming calling.

Amberexile wrote: February 28th, 2024, 4:01 pm Just suspend reality and imagine for one moment that the impossible does happen and Graham Coughlan gets us promoted this season.

How long do people think HJ would keep him in post in League 1?
All i can say is that with our likely budget he’d be rash to ditch GC unless he’s got a list of miracle workers in his address book!

lowandhard wrote: February 28th, 2024, 4:46 pm
Amberexile wrote: February 28th, 2024, 4:01 pm Just suspend reality and imagine for one moment that the impossible does happen and Graham Coughlan gets us promoted this season.

All i can say is that with our likely budget he’d be rash to ditch GC unless he’s got a list of miracle workers in his address book!
I agree. If you want a manager to excel with a limited budget then Graham Coughlan is your man.
Last edited by Stow Hill Sid on February 28th, 2024, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GC was a successful League 1 manager with Bristol Rovers. So why wouldn't HJ want to keep him?

Stow Hill Sid wrote: February 28th, 2024, 4:55 pm

I agree. If you want a manager to excel with a limited budget then Graham Cocughlan is your man.
That's a very grave assertion. :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 28th, 2024, 5:23 pm
Stow Hill Sid wrote: February 28th, 2024, 4:55 pm

I agree. If you want a manager to excel with a limited budget then Graham Cocughlan is your man.
That's a very grave assertion. :grin:
Fixed my typo. :grin:

I wasn't convinced last season and still had my doubts the beginning of this season. The club though wasn't in a financial position to do anything other than stand by him. I've warmed to him as the season has gone on and actually he's shown great humour as the season as gone on. I'm brave enough to admit I was wrong...

Agreed. He’s a great Manager. I did think that we’d started to see the beginning of the end when he used the nuclear option to blame some of the players earlier in the season but it worked. I would love to get one over on the Stags today to give him (and us) the bragging rites.

Yes I think it was the right choice and yes fair play to Cooper - although Dean Holdsworth ran away with Conference South but didn't do so well after that. Would love to see Yeovil get back into the league - my closest away trip and half the distance of my regular home trips. :grin: