Realistic prospects for the season.

What do the wise old sages (and everyone else) think is possible this season? Delaney is a cruel blow. Jameson is great but made of glass so we can't rely on him. I don't rate Dec. I wonder whether we can keep our heads in defence without a player like RD.

14 games left, hitting form at the right time, match winning forwards and a composed midfield (although if Charsley is out for a long period with a hip injury we're also in trouble) but, the injuries will be the undoing of us.

I think, if we get 6 points from the 2 remaining away games in Feb (Franchise and Harrogate) then we can crash the playoff party. Lose either of those and I don't think we'll do it.

Re: Realistic prospects for the season.

Yes agree big ifs indeed! Very tough run in now and sadly missing Delaney and possibly more after a few games. Such a shame that injury because we depended on him and Clarke to do the heavy lifting at the back . Although we’re firing well up front, I think the injury will be a step too far - it was a long shot anyway tbh though. Do our best and see where we finish.
You can’t decide when to be promoted, I know that but I don’t think we’re ready on or off the pitch yet.

I said at the start of the season that we were starting the season with a stronger squad than we started last season. I did expect the squad to improve as the season went on and even with the unprecedented level of injuries we have suffered believe we will finish with more points than last season. Whether that is enough to squeeze into the playoffs is hard to tell. If we can keep it average or above through to mid-march we will stay in touch and could push on from there and have a decent chance of making it.

Amberexile wrote: February 19th, 2024, 2:55 pm I said at the start of the season that we were starting the season with a stronger squad than we started last season. I did expect the squad to improve as the season went on and even with the unprecedented level of injuries we have suffered believe we will finish with more points than last season. Whether that is enough to squeeze into the playoffs is hard to tell. If we can keep it average or above through to mid-march we will stay in touch and could push on from there and have a decent chance of making it.
Yes in fairness to you I do recall you saying that we were starting this season with a stronger squad than the one before. Don't recall anyone agreeing with you. Certainly not me. As for the rest of the season with 14 games left, it looks to fall into 2 distinct halves to me. Believe after the next 7 games we'll be further down the table and firmly out of the running for a play off spot. However, do think the last 7 games look much easier on paper, and should give us a good opportunity to beat last seasons total of 57 points.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 19th, 2024, 3:09 pm
Amberexile wrote: February 19th, 2024, 2:55 pm I said at the start of the season that we were starting the season with a stronger squad than we started last season. I did expect the squad to improve as the season went on and even with the unprecedented level of injuries we have suffered believe we will finish with more points than last season. Whether that is enough to squeeze into the playoffs is hard to tell. If we can keep it average or above through to mid-march we will stay in touch and could push on from there and have a decent chance of making it.
Yes in fairness to you I do recall you saying that we were starting this season with a stronger squad than the one before. Don't recall anyone agreeing with you. Certainly not me. As for the rest of the season with 14 games left, it looks to fall into 2 distinct halves to me. Believe after the next 7 games we'll be further down the table and firmly out of the running for a play off spot. However, do think the last 7 games look much easier on paper, and should give us a good opportunity to beat last seasons total of 57 points.
I'm hoping the behind closed doors game today has been organised to get Zanzala, Jameson and Jephcott 90 minutes of semi-competitive play and to get Wildig what he needs so that all of them are ready for this next run of games by Saturday. I'm also hoping Charsley will be OK but just our luck if he is out for a stretch with an injury picked up when he was booked for being fouled. If that does fall into place we will have options to refresh the team either from kick off or during games which will be a luxury for us. There is nobody to fear in this league and equally we will not be feared by many. Love or hate the playoffs, they do keep many teams interested at this stage of the season.

I agree with your analysis. If we are still in contention in four weeks time then I think we have a real chance of the play-offs. That said three defeats in our next three games, and on paper I don't think we start any as favourites, and it's over.

Still we have enough points already in my view to stay up and Coughlan deserves all the praise in the world for that alone.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 19th, 2024, 3:38 pm
I agree with your analysis. If we are still in contention in four weeks time then I think we have a real chance of the play-offs. That said three defeats in our next three games, and on paper I don't think we start any as favourites, and it's over.

Still we have enough points already in my view to stay up and Coughlan deserves all the praise in the world for that alone.
Agree with all that, I liked Coughlan as soon as I heard his first utterances. Proper football man and his pragmatic approach and football nous has saved our bacon imho. That’ll do for me this year tbh ( safety that is ) but it’s what the players are determined to achieve and keeping players fit which will decide where we finish.

Our pre-season form really worried me and I was convinced that we would be cut adrift at the bottom. Delighted to be proved wrong. The gaffer and his players have done a tremendous job and a mid-table finish is a miracle in my eyes. Our form is good but I think there are so many tough games coming up I don’t see us sneaking the playoffs but I’m delighted with where we are.

I think we'll finish in the top half of the table but not in the top 10, and I'd be more than happy with that.

While the play-offs and a possible promotion would be wonderful, I don't think we're anywhere near ready for League 1 yet and what we need to avoid at all costs is a FGR situation where you have an awful season after a promotion and that losing habit continues into the next season after relegation.

Jonesy3 wrote: February 20th, 2024, 12:01 pm I think we'll finish in the top half of the table but not in the top 10, and I'd be more than happy with that.

While the play-offs and a possible promotion would be wonderful, I don't think we're anywhere near ready for League 1 yet and what we need to avoid at all costs is a FGR situation where you have an awful season after a promotion and that losing habit continues into the next season after relegation.
Spot on, let's consolidate and get the structure in place to ensure it's sustainable