Re: Joey Barton interview - interesting character

CathedralCounty wrote: February 6th, 2024, 10:54 am
Chepstow'sFine wrote: February 6th, 2024, 10:20 am I have no strong feelings about him either way. He was cleared of assaulting his wife by the way. I don't really agree with his comments about female commentators. Eni Aluko was indeed wrong about her assessment of an AFCON player putting his laces through a shot when he in fact side footed it but so what. I'd rather have her or Emma Hayes comment on a game than Sam Matterface for example.

I do however have a huge problem with calls for him to be silenced or cancelled.
Very measured comment, I had forgotten he had been alleged (and cleared) of having assaulted his wife.

He's quite right about female pundits - *some*/many have been fast tracked beyond their abilities the women’s game is totally different (not ‘better’ nor ‘worse’) to the men’s game which does limit their credibility on matters elite men’s football and the vast majority of people agree with that but dare not say it - personally I find 'pundits' rather nauseating whatever their gender.
Agreed. There is this weird attempt at amalgamation of the mens and women's games at the moment. Pundits being one. The new FIFA game has mixed the sexes in the Ultimate Team feature for example even though players like Sam Kerr (Chelsea) / Aitana Bonmati (Barca) wouldn't get anywhere near their respective mens 1st teams. Plus BBC Sport and Talksport for example will report on games without mentioning if it's a Mens or Women's game. The Women's game is on the up and getting more popular all the time. It doesn't need all this pandering.

excessbee wrote: February 6th, 2024, 12:04 pm Was he actually cleared of the assault or did it not go to court because the victim wouldn't testify? Either way, he wasn't found guilty, but there is a subtle difference (in the eyes of Joe public).
I can't answer that one on Barton specifically but if xyz person(s) is cleared of abc offence(s) they are not guilty of the offence(s) in the eyes of the law = they did not commit that criminal offence(s) for which they were charged - thankfully the 'eyes of Joe public' are not the sole arbiter of guilt or innocence in these cases which I'm sure you would be glad about if you were to be accused and charged with a criminal offence.
Last edited by CathedralCounty on February 6th, 2024, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: February 6th, 2024, 12:07 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: February 6th, 2024, 10:54 am
Chepstow'sFine wrote: February 6th, 2024, 10:20 am I have no strong feelings about him either way. He was cleared of assaulting his wife by the way. I don't really agree with his comments about female commentators. Eni Aluko was indeed wrong about her assessment of an AFCON player putting his laces through a shot when he in fact side footed it but so what. I'd rather have her or Emma Hayes comment on a game than Sam Matterface for example.

I do however have a huge problem with calls for him to be silenced or cancelled.
Very measured comment, I had forgotten he had been alleged (and cleared) of having assaulted his wife.

He's quite right about female pundits - *some*/many have been fast tracked beyond their abilities the women’s game is totally different (not ‘better’ nor ‘worse’) to the men’s game which does limit their credibility on matters elite men’s football and the vast majority of people agree with that but dare not say it - personally I find 'pundits' rather nauseating whatever their gender.
Agreed. There is this weird attempt at amalgamation of the mens and women's games at the moment. Pundits being one. The new FIFA game has mixed the sexes in the Ultimate Team feature for example even though players like Sam Kerr (Chelsea) / Aitana Bonmati (Barca) wouldn't get anywhere near their respective mens 1st teams. Plus BBC Sport and Talksport for example will report on games without mentioning if it's a Mens or Women's game. The Women's game is on the up and getting more popular all the time. It doesn't need all this pandering.
Indeed - women's football and women in football don't need patronizing and platitudes - the game will and should stand and fall on its own merits and also be robust enough to withstand fair criticism.

1)During a Christmas party back in December 2004, Barton lost his anger in horrifying circumstances.

Barton, who was dressed as Jimmy Saville ????? stubbed a cigar out in the eye of a team mate.
2) Barton had a violent training ground fight with former teammate Ousmane Dabo in May 2007.

Dabo suffered head injuries, including a detached retina, after the bust-up and was left needing hospital treatment,

The clash effectively ended Barton's time at City, leading to a relationship breakdown with Pearce.

After initially pleading not guilty to assault, Barton changed his plea to guilty and received a four-month suspended jail sentence plus 200 hours of community service.

He was also punished by the FA with a 12-match ban - six of which were suspended - and handed a £25,000 fine.
3) After moving to Newcastle United, Barton was arrested in Liverpool city centre in December 2007.

CCTV footage captured the footballer punching a man 20 times, causing him to lose consciousness.

He was also seen attacking a teenager and breaking some of his teeth during the Boxing Day night altercation.

In May 2008, a Liverpool Crown Court heard how Barton was remorseful about the incident and had admitted to an alcohol problem.

Barton pleaded guilty to common assault and affray and was sentenced to six months behind bars, with Judge Henry Globe QC saying it was a "violent and cowardly act".

You would have to be pretty desperate to support his nasty political views to support him in any way whatsoever. And that is not even including his beating up of women, his brother going to prison for murdering a bloke because of his colour. FFS.

Ian Pope wrote: February 6th, 2024, 8:12 pm 1)During a Christmas party back in December 2004, Barton lost his anger in horrifying circumstances.

Barton, who was dressed as Jimmy Saville ????? stubbed a cigar out in the eye of a team mate.
2) Barton had a violent training ground fight with former teammate Ousmane Dabo in May 2007.

Dabo suffered head injuries, including a detached retina, after the bust-up and was left needing hospital treatment,

The clash effectively ended Barton's time at City, leading to a relationship breakdown with Pearce.

After initially pleading not guilty to assault, Barton changed his plea to guilty and received a four-month suspended jail sentence plus 200 hours of community service.

He was also punished by the FA with a 12-match ban - six of which were suspended - and handed a £25,000 fine.
3) After moving to Newcastle United, Barton was arrested in Liverpool city centre in December 2007.

CCTV footage captured the footballer punching a man 20 times, causing him to lose consciousness.

He was also seen attacking a teenager and breaking some of his teeth during the Boxing Day night altercation.

In May 2008, a Liverpool Crown Court heard how Barton was remorseful about the incident and had admitted to an alcohol problem.

Barton pleaded guilty to common assault and affray and was sentenced to six months behind bars, with Judge Henry Globe QC saying it was a "violent and cowardly act".

You would have to be pretty desperate to support his nasty political views to support him in any way whatsoever. And that is not even including his beating up of women, his brother going to prison for murdering a bloke because of his colour. FFS.
For a ‘pope’ you’re very unforgiving! You don’t like the guy we get it…I don’t particularly like him either but that doesn’t invalidate *some* of what he says nor make all of it untrue.

Point of order he categorically hasn’t ‘beaten up’ any women and I don’t think his brother’s behaviour should be used against him either (his ‘rap sheet’ is long enough without blaming him for his brother’s transgressions as well).
Last edited by CathedralCounty on February 6th, 2024, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rncfc wrote: February 6th, 2024, 5:40 pm What I don't understand is why anyone cares so much? If you're watching football for the punditry you're a sad act.

And why are people so threatened about the girls game being mentioned alongside the men's? Who cares? I think it's shite too, so I just don't watch it. Easy.

Barton is an absolute grade A whopper, but his meltdowns are slightly comical.
I don’t think many are ‘threatened’ by women’s football being mentioned alongside men’s football or women in men’s football just exhausted by false narratives and inability to stand criticism without crying ‘misogyny’.

CathedralCounty wrote: February 6th, 2024, 9:09 pm
rncfc wrote: February 6th, 2024, 5:40 pm What I don't understand is why anyone cares so much? If you're watching football for the punditry you're a sad act.

And why are people so threatened about the girls game being mentioned alongside the men's? Who cares? I think it's shite too, so I just don't watch it. Easy.

I don’t think many are ‘threatened’ by women’s football being mentioned alongside men’s football or women in men’s football just exhausted by false narratives and inability to stand criticism without crying ‘misogyny’.
But why criticise? Would you point and laugh at an under 14s team for not being able to compete with a pro men's team? The same logic applies.

The loudest voices appear to be from fans who say women have never played the men's game so can't possibly comment. Well, guess what, neither have 99% of fans yet apparently they know the in's and out's of everything.

Financially it doesn't stand on its own two feet I've heard people say as well. When was the last time these jokers checked the balance sheet of the clubs they support?

It is misogyny, and I say that as the most misogynistic person in South Wales.

rncfc wrote: February 7th, 2024, 9:36 am
CathedralCounty wrote: February 6th, 2024, 9:09 pm

But why criticise? Would you point and laugh at an under 14s team for not being able to compete with a pro men's team? The same logic applies.

The loudest voices appear to be from fans who say women have never played the men's game so can't possibly comment. Well, guess what, neither have 99% of fans yet apparently they know the in's and out's of everything.

Financially it doesn't stand on its own two feet I've heard people say as well. When was the last time these jokers checked the balance sheet of the clubs they support?

It is misogyny, and I say that as the most misogynistic person in South Wales.
I feel the word 'misogyny' has become almost meaningless in its overuse and mis – interpretation - it means 'hatred of women' so I think you and others really mean 'mild sexism' at worst. There was/is REAL misogyny out there which is being diluted – the awful Magdalene laundries/mother and baby homes and shaming of women even until quite recently was appalling misogyny and a human rights abuse / making a few silly comments about women’s footballing ability = petty sexism – not big or clever but not ‘misogyny’ either (and I'm quite sure your'e not a 'misogynist' either!).

Again I think for *most* people its more about the inability for *some* in/around women’s football, or women in football (not the players who generally DO accept it) that women’s football is a different game to the men’s and also the unwillingness to criticize or accept criticism and the [invariably unfair and mis applied] 'misogynist' label screamed at anyone who dares make even remotely critical comment around the subject - women don't need protecting they are grown ups and the women's games needs to focus on selling itself as a product rather than saying anyone who doesn't like it is a 'misogynist' which is rather like saying anyone who doesn't like and/or criticizes rap music is a racist or why ice hockey remains a minority sport in the UK is because people hate Canadians ditto Gaelic football and accusing people of being anti Irish, etc (OK slightly facetious examples but you get my point).

Some people are genuinely silly or plain nasty but they are in a tiny minority and many who do make snarky comments do either with tongue firmly in cheek or as a backlash to the cry of ‘misogyny’ at every turn – as in ‘you’re gonna call me a misogynist anyway so jeff you’…if half of those who are quick to reel out the 'misogynist' label and pile on the Spanish FA buffoon for an errant kiss actually starting going to watch women’s football games or got together to sponsor or volunteer for a local teams, etc it would soon become far stronger – sadly women’s football is just a pawn for a vocal minority of feminist campaigners/’progressives’ who look for the nearest stick with which to beat the mythical 'patriarchy' and those 'awful men' with - they don’t actually give two hoots about women’s football - where I and many other men who like football actually do go and watch women’s football or watch on TV but get labelled as ‘misogynists’ when we make fair and constructive comments around it.

Finance wise the men's game (and therefore every fan of men's football who spends anything in/around the game) bankrolls the women's game - very few clubs are by women for women and those clubs have been shamefully sold down the river by the FA's of Eng/Sco/Wal who seem to favour women's sections of big 'men's' clubs as opposed to standalone ones - Glasgow City being a noble exception - so we're starting to see an even more boring hegemony in the women's game that then men's with the same 3-4 clubs winning everything.

Exile 1976 wrote: February 7th, 2024, 2:38 pm
rncfc wrote: February 7th, 2024, 12:36 pm I can't be arsed to read that mate. Every time I read one of your posts I expect it to end with "Spurs away, lav it"
😂😂😂😂
The reference has gone over my head but I'm happy to be the butt of an in joke - it was rather an essay after all! - thought you might have gone with 'carm down lar' as a nod to Barton's roots?