The Future

I’ve made a fresh post because I fear my sentiments are lost among argument on another thread.
This is my position and I’m sure I won’t be alone in this.
I always wanted to be fan-owned. Due to a combination of factors which included incompetence and lack of the intelligence to communicate among other factors, that ship has well and truly sailed.
I wish Huw Jenkins well because his success will be our success.
We all need to be behind the enterprise because we have this in common at least - common cause. I hope he gets to love the County and to have it injected into his blood like we were, most often in our infancy. I hope he has the wisdom and skill to achieve the best and succeed where the Trust failed, we must support him in his and our cause.
My plea is simply this, I know you will support the County, like me that was never in doubt but in addition please do not abandon the Trust, it is our statement of love and continuous dedication of and to our football club. It was flawed just like us but its basic intention was our continuance and a hope that we will prosper and move to a brighter future.
This to you all, we are the club, we are the County, we are the custodians and the young among us are our future!, let’s enjoy the present and look forward to the future. UTFC CTID

Re: The Future

I think on reflection we allowed the wrong people to run the club and didn't hold them to account enough. I think now is the ideal time to be examining the function of the Trust going forward and I would suggest that until such an exercise is completed that the Trust does not take up it's two seats on the board.

I certainly do not support the two names that are being put forward by the Trust board to sit on the clubs board. Time to sweep away the failed administration in it's entirety and bring in new competent people...

wattsville_boy wrote: January 25th, 2024, 3:49 pm I think on reflection we allowed the wrong people to run the club and didn't hold them to account enough. I think now is the ideal time to be examining the function of the Trust going forward and I would suggest that until such an exercise is completed that the Trust does not take up it's two seats on the board.

I certainly do not support the two names that are being put forward by the Trust board to sit on the clubs board. Time to sweep away the failed administration in it's entirety and bring in new competent people...
Given that HJ has said he wants some continuity in the running.of the club in the 'bedding in' period; there will be elections for the 2 trust representatives in April; and one of the main reasons HJ gave for wanting to take on the ownership of the club is it has an active supporters trust; IMO it would be most disrespectful to him to not take up his offer of the 2 seats on the Board.

If you look at the list of achievements under trust ownership ( elsewhere is a long list of teams from higher divisions that we have matched if not bettered in cup competitions).

Under the Trust we also got to the playoffs twice, and we have reached the stage, where the BBC advert for Sundays game, emphasises the unity of County against the disunity of MU, and the possibility of a shock.

We have always had a low budget, and punched above our weight. There are a number of teams in our division with debts of £20 millions plus, and much bigger incomes than us who are envious........

In the last 8 years as a Trust run club we have had an income of roughly £16 million at todays value in total.

Incidently our landlords would have had an income of £40 million plus at todays rates, and have done exactly what? Have they developed the ground at the expense of on the pitch success? Have they even had to put up temporary stands to cater for demand for ticket's?

Thinking that as a trust run club we were poorly run and achieved nothing is laughable.......

wattsville_boy wrote: January 25th, 2024, 3:49 pm I think on reflection we allowed the wrong people to run the club and didn't hold them to account enough......
But when the Trust took on the running of the Club, it was Hobson's choice. Nobody said "you're the wrong people", or came forward with a suggestion of who might be the right people. We had some relatively successful times, which were mainly due to good fortune. But financial support from the owners dwindled. I'm of the opinion that Huw Jenkins appeared as just about the right time as another two years down the line we'd have been in deep trouble. Let's just see where we go from here. It's now pretty much out of our hands.

They were definitely the wrong people there arrogant attitude when they took over beggar’s believe,
If you remember John Bowkett a good bloke was concerned and was shouted down at the first public meeting,
The way they treated the ex directors and staff was unforgivable,
The accusations they levelled at certain people on the board who were putting in their own money was just not right at any level,
Then they mismanaged all the cup money
Sacked manager after manager and very nearly took us into oblivion,
All the hard work of previous boards and generations from David Hando John Williams Matt Southall and Blight and co to get us back to the football league into a stadium fit to play in the EFL,
They should be made accountable as it was our money they were and are dealing with,
I nVote that all the existing Truss board who were involved in that and are still involved should stand down immediately

PMG wrote: January 25th, 2024, 5:23 pm They were definitely the wrong people there arrogant attitude when they took over beggar’s believe,
If you remember John Bowkett a good bloke was concerned and was shouted down at the first public meeting,
The way they treated the ex directors and staff was unforgivable,
The accusations they levelled at certain people on the board who were putting in their own money was just not right at any level,
Then they mismanaged all the cup money
Sacked manager after manager and very nearly took us into oblivion,
All the hard work of previous boards and generations from David Hando John Williams Matt Southall and Blight and co to get us back to the football league into a stadium fit to play in the EFL,
They should be made accountable as it was our money they were and are dealing with,
I nVote that all the existing Truss board who were involved in that and are still involved should stand down immediately
The Trust Board have not stood down. Indeed, some might say the very reverse, they have not allowed for elections of Directors at tonight's Trust AGM. However, two of the current Trust Board and former AFC Board will take up position immediately as the two nominated Trust Directors on the newly formed AFC Board.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: January 25th, 2024, 4:10 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: January 25th, 2024, 3:49 pm I think on reflection we allowed the wrong people to run the club and didn't hold them to account enough. I think now is the ideal time to be examining the function of the Trust going forward and I would suggest that until such an exercise is completed that the Trust does not take up it's two seats on the board.

Given that HJ has said he wants some continuity in the running.of the club in the 'bedding in' period; there will be elections for the 2 trust representatives in April; and one of the main reasons HJ gave for wanting to take on the ownership of the club is it has an active supporters trust; IMO it would be most disrespectful to him to not take up his offer of the 2 seats on the Board.
I would contend that it has a dysfunctional Supporters Trust that needs an honest appraisal of what went wrong with the Fans ownership model. It's too easy to just lay the blame at the 'owners' - us the fans - and that we didn't provide the funding required to run the club. I would contend that the board of the Trust ran a 'boys club' and deliberately concealed details from the wider membership citing business sensitivity as a cover. I don't think the Trust can move forward until it's lanced this boil. And rid the body of purulence underneath...

lowandhard wrote: January 24th, 2024, 8:28 pm I’ve made a fresh post because I fear my sentiments are lost among argument on another thread.
This is my position and I’m sure I won’t be alone in this.
I always wanted to be fan-owned. Due to a combination of factors which included incompetence and lack of the intelligence to communicate among other factors, that ship has well and truly sailed.
I wish Huw Jenkins well because his success will be our success.
We all need to be behind the enterprise because we have this in common at least - common cause. I hope he gets to love the County and to have it injected into his blood like we were, most often in our infancy. I hope he has the wisdom and skill to achieve the best and succeed where the Trust failed, we must support him in his and our cause.
My plea is simply this, I know you will support the County, like me that was never in doubt but in addition please do not abandon the Trust, it is our statement of love and continuous dedication of and to our football club. It was flawed just like us but its basic intention was our continuance and a hope that we will prosper and move to a brighter future.
This to you all, we are the club, we are the County, we are the custodians and the young among us are our future!, let’s enjoy the present and look forward to the future. UTFC CTID
We are the custodians? You've quoted the wrong tense - it should be past tense, not present...................

Have a look at the very first sentence of HJ's first statement after completion:

The challenge to own, build and run Newport County was an opportunity I couldn’t resist. One I couldn’t turn down,’’

I'm glad its all sorted and look forward to good times under a more professional regime, but make no mistake - HJ is the club custodian now, until he decides otherwise.

We still await an explanation around the accounting irregularities the consultant bought in was inept and incompetent. The defence of two board members who stood down before the fiasco broke by one of the two remaining on the board was inappropriate. The individual took over the public meetings to dictate the agenda and continue the smoke and mirrors.
It was not their money the breach of financial management and adherence to budgets has not been explained nobody has been held to account. The Trust have used survival panic to brush accountability under the carpet.
I understand the need for continuity but the two Trust members need to stand down within six months their failure to hold other Board Members to account should not go unnoticed.

County ranger wrote: January 25th, 2024, 9:10 pm We still await an explanation around the accounting irregularities the consultant bought in was inept and incompetent. The defence of two board members who stood down before the fiasco broke by one of the two remaining on the board was inappropriate. The individual took over the public meetings to dictate the agenda and continue the smoke and mirrors.
It was not their money the breach of financial management and adherence to budgets has not been explained nobody has been held to account. The Trust have used survival panic to brush accountability under the carpet.
I understand the need for continuity but the two Trust members need to stand down within six months their failure to hold other Board Members to account should not go unnoticed.
The 2 Trust members who will be temporarily on the club board have said tonight they will not be standing for election to these positions when the Trust members elect these posts, although that process will probably not be complete until after the end of this season.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: January 25th, 2024, 9:35 pm
County ranger wrote: January 25th, 2024, 9:10 pm We still await an explanation around the accounting irregularities the consultant bought in was inept and incompetent. The defence of two board members who stood down before the fiasco broke by one of the two remaining on the board was inappropriate. The individual took over the public meetings to dictate the agenda and continue the smoke and mirrors.
The 2 Trust members who will be temporarily on the club board have said tonight they will not be standing for election to these positions when the Trust members elect these posts, although that process will probably not be complete until after the end of this season.
My understanding was that they would step down from both their temporary AFC Board positions and their Trust Directorships.

While at the meeting tonight I was pinching myself that a sizeable MINORITY voted against a motion from Chris Davies for transparency.
We as dutiful mushrooms weren’t voting for basking in the tropical sun of total transparency but merely a glimpse of the fading orb through trees on a winter’s day. In addition I refute the rough calculation of 40 for to 30 against. It should be revisited and a paper ballot taken. At a rough count I made it 50 to 20. Not that it probably matters because the present incumbents obviously have no intention to implement it. After all we’ve been through imho this is shameful. While hopeful for the future, I must confess I have no appetite for the Trust as presently constituted.
Thank you Chris Davies for your considerable efforts in this direction. I feel sadly that our pleas for transparency are like waves beating a rocky shore, some sands of transparency will eventually perhaps be produced but much time will elapse before it happens ! We need a clear out!